Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Adjetives

Adjetives

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Adjetives

Postby h3lladvocate » Tue 01.17.2006 8:44 pm

Ok, well, i know the rules for adjetives but thats not my question. My question is how do you know if an adjetive ends with an 'i' or not. This might sound confusing so let me give an example:

chiisai (小) now, is that allready an adjetive or do i need to add na?

In other words, how can i be sure its an adjetive and not a noun or verb or other part of speech?
h3lladvocate

RE: Adjetives

Postby IkimashoZ » Tue 01.17.2006 9:04 pm

All adjectives will end with い or な. If you look them up in the dictionary and you see 形 next to the word (short for 形容詞, "adjective"), you'll know what you're dealing with. Adjectives don't need the particle の when set in front of a noun. You'll see the い or な in this case too.

There are a lot of exceptions and a lot of colloquial usage out there though, so I definitely understand where you're coming from. 同じ jumps readily to mind. Also, the example you gave can be either or. I've seen both 小さい and 小さな and I have yet to discern a difference in meaning (though that's not to say one doesn't exist).

My advice is to stick to what your dictionary says and pose questions about specific words as they come up.
Last edited by IkimashoZ on Tue 01.17.2006 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ist das einen Kanji, dass ich gefunden habe??
IkimashoZ

RE: Adjetives

Postby richvh » Tue 01.17.2006 9:06 pm

If -i follows a vowel (in other words, would be written with い in kana), it is most likely a true adjective. The way to be sure is, of course, to check a dictionary.
Last edited by richvh on Tue 01.17.2006 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems