Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - in need of proofreading

in need of proofreading

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

in need of proofreading

Postby EmilyBean » Fri 02.03.2006 12:36 am

this is supposed to be a short introduction and I'm sure I have mistakes in places.

おなめ は エミリ です。 カルトンに がくせい です。 せんもんは マス コミ と フランス語 です。 いちにんせい です。 じゆうはち さい です。 トロント から きました。 オタワ から に すんでます。 トロント に にひき ねこ が います。 

私の しごと は ほんや に です。 まいばん じういち じ に ねむります。 まいにち ななじ に おきます。 じうまつ に やむの が すき です。 まいばん にほんご を べんきょうします。 フランス 語 やさしい です でも にほんご は むずかしい と おもいます。 しゆみ は テレビ を みます と おんがく を ききます。 私は れようりするの が へた です。 たべもの のなかで、 チョコレート が いちばんおいしい です。

ともだち と 私は レストランと かいものしご いきます。 スケート は きらい です。 なつ に、 トロント に しごと に いきます。 
EmilyBean

RE: in need of proofreading

Postby natemb » Fri 02.03.2006 2:47 am

Some initial corrections:

おなめ は エミリ です
Should be なまえ は エミリ です。 "Name" is "なまい" and you should only use お for other people's names, because it shows respect.

カルトンに がくせい です
I would say カールトン・カレッジ の がくせい です。 (I am a student of Carlton College). Someone please correct me if that's wrong.

いちにんせい です。
 いちねんせい です。 (ねん, not にん. ねん means "year")

じゆうはち さい です。
The ゆ in じゅ should be small. You can just type "ju" and it should come out right. Also, I think it's はっさい not はち さい, so your whole sentence should be: じゅうはっさい です。

オタワ から に すんでます。
Don't need から. Just オタワ に すんでいます。 (I don't know if you need the い in すんでいます. It's definitely not needed in spoken Japanese)

トロント に にひき ねこ が います。
I think for owning pets you must use the verb かっています (same hiragana but different kanji from buying) instead of います. I don't know if you would use トロントに or トロントで...

私の しごと は ほんや に です。
I don't think you can say it this way. ほんや に はたらいています is one way of saying "I work at a bookstore." I don't know whether you can also say ほんや に しごと します...

まいばん じういち じ に ねむります。
Should be まいばん じゅういち じ に ねます

まいにち ななじ に おきます。
まいにち しちじ に おきます。

じうまつ に やむの が すき です。
Did you mean "I like resting on the weekends?" In that case, it should be しゅうまつ に やすむの が すき です。

フランス 語 やさしい です でも にほんご は むずかしい と おもいます。
I know that やさしい is usually taught to mean "easy", and that's not wrong, but the word かんたん is much more commonly used, and やさしい is generally used for it's other meaning, "kind, nice" (different kanji). Also, you need は after フランス語. So I would say フランス語 は かんたん です けど にほんご は むずかしい と おもいます。 I don't think you can use でも in this way, so I replaced it with けど (or が is fine). I'm not sure about でも, but I think it's generally used to start a sentence...

しゆみ は テレビ を みます と おんがく を ききます。
I think you need to use the -no/-koto construction here. Don't know if this is right: しゅみ は テレビ を みるの と おんがく を きくの です。

All in all, great job, though. I could understand what you meant and that is always the most important thing in language. Keep trying out your Japanese (without being afraid of making the occasional mistake) and you'll get better and better!

Now if someone else could come along and correct the mistakes I missed (and correct my mistakes too), it would be much appreciated! :)
Last edited by natemb on Fri 02.03.2006 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
natemb

RE: in need of proofreading

Postby coco » Fri 02.03.2006 12:34 pm

トロント に にひき ねこ が います。
I think for owning pets you must use the verb かっています (same hiragana but different kanji from buying) instead of います. I don't know if you would use トロントに or トロントで...
トロント にひき ねこ を かって います。

私の しごと は ほんや に です。
I don't think you can say it this way. ほんや に はたらいています is one way of saying "I work at a bookstore." I don't know whether you can also say ほんや に しごと します...

ほんや( しょてん ) はたらいて います。 or
しょてん しごと (アイバイト=after-school job, part-time job ) を しています。

しゆみ は テレビ を みます と おんがく を ききます。
I think you need to use the -no/-koto construction here. Don't know if this is right: しゅみ は テレビ を みるの と おんがく を きくの です。
しゅみ は テレビを みるの (みること) と おんがく を きく こと です。
you can say テレビを みるのと おんがく を きく のが しゅみ です。 too.
In this case, we don't use きくの+ です. きくこと + です。 is correct.

Keep trying out your Japanese (without being afraid of making the occasional mistake) and you'll get better and better!

同感です。:)

ふたつ目のname が「なまい」 になってますよ。typo ;)
Last edited by coco on Fri 02.03.2006 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems