Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Ocha!!!

Ocha!!!

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Ocha!!!

Postby Jose100 » Thu 02.09.2006 2:38 pm

Konnichiwa! Are there fans of Japanese green tea around?

I got a hook of that tea (ocha) which is famous for the traditional Tea Ceremony.
A part from one occasion when a Japanese student who brought some form her country made us taste it in England.

Since then the brand I purchased were just a different type with "Genuine Japanese Green Tea" on cover but clearly not the taste. Any suggestions from teas lovers??
Jose
Jose100

RE: Ocha!!!

Postby mandolin » Thu 02.09.2006 2:44 pm

I can honestly say I have never found a tea purchaseable in the USA that tastes anything like the green tea the exchange student who lived with us gave us. And believe me, I have tried every brand of "green tea" labels I could get my hands on. :(

Sorry, I can't speak for the UK, but I imagine it's pretty much the same there as it is here. Nothing beats imports. :)
mandolin

Postby zengargoyle » Thu 02.09.2006 3:49 pm

mandolin wrote:
I can honestly say I have never found a tea purchaseable in the USA that tastes anything like the green tea the exchange student who lived with us gave us. And believe me, I have tried every brand of "green tea" labels I could get my hands on. :(

Sorry, I can't speak for the UK, but I imagine it's pretty much the same there as it is here. Nothing beats imports. :)

hmm, now i wonder what green tea is supposed to taste like.
i may have to make a trip to the Japanese market and do some taste testing. :D

does anybody have any recommended brands? at the moment i'm drinking yamamotoyama teas which are a bit different tasting than the lipton/stash/well known US tea brands. i'm really particular to their genmaicha.
zengargoyle

Postby Shibakoen » Thu 02.09.2006 7:29 pm

Try to find a Japanese market in your area. I'm sure that some one in London is importing stuff straight from Japan. That's where I get my bottled tea from, but it's more expensive since it's imported. You can also find the mixes, and that's a bit cheaper.
Shibakoen

Postby mandolin » Thu 02.09.2006 8:48 pm

The stuff we had from japan was the actual dried leaves in a cardboard can-thing (think pringles potato chips container). We had to use a tea spoon... thing.... gah, I went and looked one up so you know what I mean Link!

One of THOSE to make the tea, you did it cup by cup, or you could get a larger thing (I guess they're called infusers) for a teapot.

Maybe I'm just picky.
mandolin

Postby AJBryant » Fri 02.10.2006 12:21 am

Well, part of it is that you have to know what you're looking for.

The powdered green tea for sado is "matcha" -- regular green tea is "sencha." I'm partial to barley tea ("mugicha") myself.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby shikamarufoo » Fri 02.10.2006 1:18 am

zengargoyle wrote:

hmm, now i wonder what green tea is supposed to taste like.
i may have to make a trip to the Japanese market and do some taste testing. :D

Same here... if green tea here isn't green tea there, I wonder what it's suppose to taste like. I'll go make a tri pto my local uwajimaya store and look for all the "green tea" they have.:)
shikamarufoo

Postby natemb » Fri 02.10.2006 2:32 am

I had the same experience. I drank a lot of green tea in the US before coming to Japan, and when I arrived, I was surprised by both the variety of green tea here and the fact that none of it tasted like the green tea from back home. For more information on the myriad varieties of green tea, check out this link from wikipedia (esp. the section "Japanese Green Teas"):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_tea

Note to Jose100: There are many different forums for different topics, and you seem to have created this thread in the "Grammar Questions and Problems" forum. It was most likely by accident, but this probably should have gone in the "Culture and Info about Living in Japan" forum.
natemb

Postby keatonatron » Fri 02.10.2006 3:43 am

At Starbucks in Japan they have Matcha Frappuchinos.

DELICIOUS.

That's the only thing I'll drink there. I know it wouldn't sell at all, but they should take it to the states. :D
keatonatron

Postby mandolin » Fri 02.10.2006 6:02 am

AJBryant wrote:
Well, part of it is that you have to know what you're looking for.

The powdered green tea for sado is "matcha" -- regular green tea is "sencha." I'm partial to barley tea ("mugicha") myself.

Tony

I wasn't aware there were different kinds. Our exchange student just called it green tea, and we had no reason to question if there was more than one. :)

I wonder what kind we had....
mandolin

Postby keatonatron » Fri 02.10.2006 7:26 am

I just realized this thread is in the Grammar section.

???
keatonatron

Postby Timo_Styles » Sun 02.12.2006 5:18 am

If anyone it looking for maccha 抹茶 (for tea ceremonies) you can order it from http://www.greentealovers.com/
They have a few different kinds but I've only tried Catechin.
Timo_Styles

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems