Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Desu or Des?

Desu or Des?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

RE: Desu or Des?

Postby burstandbloom » Fri 02.24.2006 12:55 am

i also hear different parts of japan people pronouce differently. i could be wrong, because i 've never been there. but when we talked to a kid in class that came in to talk about study abroad because he went there he said, in different parts the dialect's different. like for instance in kyoto they pronounce every sound. like ~desu with the u being voiced always.
this topic brings me to ask this, when you speak japanese, how do most of you pronounce し?
because we're not taught to pronounce it any other way then "shi" (like she) but we pick up that a lot of times our teacher prounounces it just like "shh" when placed next to certain sounds like
~ました。sounds like ma-sh-ta rather then ma-shi-ta.
i dunno maybe i'm just talking nonsense, im only in my second semester of japanese in college. i don't know that much yet. so sorry B)
Last edited by burstandbloom on Fri 02.24.2006 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby b4d0m3n » Fri 02.24.2006 8:18 am

burstandbloom wrote:
i also hear different parts of japan people pronouce differently. i could be wrong, because i 've never been there. but when we talked to a kid in class that came in to talk about study abroad because he went there he said, in different parts the dialect's different. like for instance in kyoto they pronounce every sound. like ~desu with the u being voiced always.
this topic brings me to ask this, when you speak japanese, how do most of you pronounce し?
because we're not taught to pronounce it any other way then "shi" (like she) but we pick up that a lot of times our teacher prounounces it just like "shh" when placed next to certain sounds like
~ました。sounds like ma-sh-ta rather then ma-shi-ta.
i dunno maybe i'm just talking nonsense, im only in my second semester of japanese in college. i don't know that much yet. so sorry B)

In this case, I believe that 'i' is silenced somewhat.
b4d0m3n

Postby burstandbloom » Fri 02.24.2006 12:56 pm

that's usually how i do it.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby lemonaid » Fri 02.24.2006 1:14 pm

lemonaid

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 02.26.2006 12:33 am

Oracle wrote:
Jamie wrote:

むずかしいだよー!

むずかしいだよ

どっちでもいいだよ。:D
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Previous

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems