Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Trying sentences =P

Trying sentences =P

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Trying sentences =P

Postby kulex47 » Sat 02.25.2006 8:01 pm

nihongo ga suki desu. -> I like japanese.
nihongo ga suki, demo furansugo kirai desu. -> I like japanese, but I hate french.
ke-ki ga suki desu. -> I like cake.
ke-ki o taberu suki desu. -> I like to eat cake.
neko to inu suki desu. - I like cats and dogs.
anata wa ringo o kau desu ka -> Are you going to buy an apple?
watashi tachi wa kuruma o tataita. -> we hit a car.
yuki o furu miru. -> See the snow fall.
gohan o katta. -> I bought a meal.
hon o yonda. -> I read a book.
terebi o miru kuru. -> Come see the Tv.
nihongo ga hanasu suki, soshite yomu suki desu mo. -> I like to speak Japanese, and I like to read also.

I'm could have screwed it all up, soshite if so I'd like for you to correct w/e is wrong and let me know thanks.
kulex47

RE: Trying sentences =P

Postby Kates » Sat 02.25.2006 8:53 pm

You did pretty good... but needed a few corrections. ^^; ((And I don't consider myself an expert, just someone who wants to help -- if anyone has more to add, please do!!)) **edited to add in what I forgot/messed up! ^^;; **

nihongo ga suki desu. -> I like japanese.
nihongo ha suki desu ga, furansugo ha kirai desu. -> I like japanese, but I hate french.
**When comparing, use ha, ga, ha particles.**
ke-ki ga suki desu. -> I like cake.
ke-ki o taberu koto ga suki desu. -> I like to eat cake.
**nominalizing**
neko to inu ga suki desu. - I like cats and dogs.
anata wa ringo o kau / kaimasu ka -> Are you going to buy an apple?
**Verb + desu = wrong!**
watashi tachi wa kuruma o tataita. -> we hit a car.
I'm not sure what word to use for "hit" in this situation, but I don't think "tataku" is the right one...
yuki ga furu koto wo miru. -> See the snow fall.
**nominalizing**
gohan o katta. -> I bought a meal.
hon o yonda. -> I read a book.
terebi o mite kuru. -> Come see the Tv.
**connecting verbs** (Is this a statement or a request?)
nihongo wo hanasu koto ga suki de, soshite yomu koto mo suki desu. -> I like to speak Japanese, and I like to read also.
**nominalizing, connecting sentences**

You did nicely, but you forgot ga a whole lot.

Another mistake you made often is not nominalizing your verbs, but perhaps you haven't studied how to use the word koto (lit: 'thing') yet. The word suki must always be preceded by a noun. English is the same, when we use the word "like"--which is (most often) followed by a noun. "Hon o yomu" is not a noun phrase, it is a verb phrase. To nominalize it (that is, make it a noun), in English we add -ing. "Read" becomes "reading" in English, when we say: I like reading. In Japanese, to nominalize a verb, you can add koto--so you would say "Hon wo yomu koto ga suki desu" = I like reading books.
**adam reminded me you can also use no in a similar fashion; "Hon wo yomu no ga suki desu" means the same thing.**

In two of your attempts, you tried to combine two sentences. This is a bit 'advanced,' as in you just can't plug a comma in and it words. If your first sentence ends in "desu," you should shorten it to "de."
Ex:Watashi ha Kates desu. + Watashi ha Amerika-jin desu. = Watashi ha Kates de, Amerika-jin desu. (Notice the subject of both sentences is the same ("Watashi"), so I was able to eliminate it in the second part to prevent sounding repetative.)

If your sentences have contradicting meanings (ie: postive then negative) you should use ga. In this sense, it means "but" and doesn't mark the topic of your sentence, like it's particle-use.
Ex:Watashi ha atama ga ii hito desu. + Watashi ha tensai jya arimasen. = Watashi ha atama ga ii hito desu ga, tensai jya arimasen. ( ^^;;;; Sorry, it was the best I could think of... heh)
(Trans: I am a smart person. + I am not a genius. = I am a smart person, but I am not a genius. -- atama ga ii = smart; tensai = genius)
**Again, I was reminded that, in this construction, you should use the particles ha, ga and ha, in that order. The subjects of the two sentences should be marked with ha and ga should be used in between them to show the contradictory meaning.**
Neko ha suki desu ga, inu ha suki jya arimasen.

***And another reminder, adam said I didn't explain the connecting verbs! (DUH -_- ) This, too, is a bit advanced. Have you studied the -te form yet? If not, then you should either hold off and wait, or skip ahead and check it out. When connecting verbs, the first verb must be conjugated into -te form. For example, Eiga wo mite ikimasu. (Go and see a movie.) The first verb, miru is conjugated into it's -te form, mite, and placed before iku. The implication is that you 'went to go see.' When asking favors, -te form is also used. Terebi wo mite kudasai. (Please look at/watch the TV.) or, similar to the sentence you made, Terebi wo mite kite kudasai. (Please come and see the TV.) -Te form is used before kudasai. -Te form is also used when two sentences are combined, as in: Suupaa he ite, kaimono wo shimasu. (I will go to the market and go shopping.) or Kinou, terebi wo mite, hon wo yonde, sorekara nemashita. (Last night I watched TV, read a book, then went to bed.) ... I think I subconciously forgot to write about -te form because I knew it would add another mile to my post! ^^; heh***

I hope that helped you some. ^_^ You did a nice job, but I think you were streching beyond your current abilities. BUT, that is NOT a bad thing. ^_^ It's very good to experiement with a new language~ Keep it up~ Please ask about any of the corrections I made, if you have questions.
Last edited by Kates on Sun 02.26.2006 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kates

Postby adam » Sat 02.25.2006 9:04 pm

Kates said pretty much everything except for 2 things.

Terebi o mite kuru -> Come see the Tv. If you are asking someone to come see the tv, you'd say terebi o mite kite (kudasai). Otherwise It's translated as I(you, he) will come and see the tv.

nihongo ga hanasu koto ga suki de, soshite yomu koto mo suki desu
This would be nihongo o hanasu not ga.

And one more word of advice. Kates did a good job explaining the koto form. But that may even be more advanced. The easier form is when you want to change a verb into liking doing that verb, you add "no ga" instead of koto. But both are fine.

For example,

ke-ki o taberu no ga suki desu.
nihongo o hanasu no ga suki de, yomu no ga suki desu.

Good luck!
Last edited by adam on Sat 02.25.2006 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adam

Postby Sachi » Sat 02.25.2006 10:21 pm

I had a question dealing with "suki" and infinitives. "koto" was explained on that thread pretty well, if you want to see:

http://www.thejapanesepage.com/forum/vi ... ad_id=2635
Last edited by Sachi on Sat 02.25.2006 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sachi

Postby keatonatron » Sun 02.26.2006 12:12 am

Kates wrote:

nihongo ga suki desu ga, furansugo ga(ha?) kirai desu. -> I like japanese, but I hate french.

When comparing two items like this, use the は、が、は form:

日本語は好きですが、フランス語は嫌いです。
nihongo ha suki desu ga, fruansugo ha kirai desu.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby AJBryant » Sun 02.26.2006 12:16 am

nihongo ga hanasu koto ga suki de, soshite yomu koto mo suki desu
This would be nihongo o hanasu not ga.

Surely "Nihongo de hanasu."

Deshou?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Kates » Sun 02.26.2006 9:32 am

adam: Arigatou. ^^ But surely my sentence would hold up if you were simply stating "Come to see the TV"? Of course, if you're asking someone, yours is correct. Oh, and thanks for reminding me about no! I knew I was forgetting something as I wrote all of that! >_>

keatonatron: Arigatou! I always have trouble remembering the rules for ga and ha... -_-

Tony: I think either de or wo would be alright. Though, not ga... >_< Why did I miss that? URRRRG!
Kates

Postby keatonatron » Sun 02.26.2006 9:50 am

Kates wrote:
But surely my sentence would hold up if you were simply stating "Come to see the TV"?

That's not a statement, it's a command. A statement would be "He came to see the TV," like adam said. Commands (where you are telling someone to do something) are treated differently.

Nihongo o hanasu doesn't make sense. You aren't doing the action of speak onto the Japanese, you are doing the action of speak through the Japanese.
Last edited by keatonatron on Sun 02.26.2006 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Postby Kates » Sun 02.26.2006 9:53 am

Ah, no, I mean. "I/he/she come(s) to see the TV." I must've been thinking in Japanese. >_< Since the original sentence had no subject, I wasn't giving it one... Though I'll admit, it sounds odd to say 'watashi ha terebi wo mite kuru'... But yeah, "Come see the TV" (command) should be "Terebi wo mite koi," right?
Kates

Postby keatonatron » Sun 02.26.2006 10:00 am

Heh, I edited my post right under you.

Using mite kuru/koi here sounds really wierd. Usually you use -te kuru/koi when someone did something and then came, so your order is backwards.

Whenever you want to say someone went or came for the purpose of something, change the last verb (the goal) into the stem form, then add ni and the verb they used to get there. So, in this case:

terebi wo mi ni kuru - I come to see the tv

To make it a command, you can use the te form:

terebi wo mi ni kite (kudasai)

More examples:

Tabe ni iku - go to eat
ai ni iku - go to visit
asobi ni kita - came to play/hang out

When you think about it, it makes sense:

mise [ni itta] - [went to] the store (normal sentence)
tabe [ni itta] - [went to] eat (the style I introduced above)
Last edited by keatonatron on Sun 02.26.2006 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Postby Sachi » Sun 02.26.2006 2:56 pm

Ah, I think I get it. I know this is not my thread, but thanks for the info, everyone. Compound sentences and such really confuse me >.<

Just want to try this, though... So would these be correct?

(あなたは)私と映画を見に来てください。- Please come to watch the movie with me.

(私は)つりに行きました。- I went to fish.

Thanks!
Last edited by Sachi on Sun 02.26.2006 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sachi

Postby kulex47 » Sun 02.26.2006 3:57 pm

"Hon wo yomu koto ga suki desu" = I like reading books.
would'nt that be "I like to read books." since its yomu, just wondering
Also I am going to go insane trying to teach myself all these grammer rules all by myself but I have to cuz I've got no instructor SO, can anyone point me in the direction of an online resource that has a detailed step by step instruction on learning the grammatical rules? I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to learn everything and I've got the time, all I have is time, what I don't have is a coherant guide to grammar. Thanks. (don't tell me the TJP.com/grammer page because I need a more concrete plan, not just a bunch of little hints thrown around everywhere.
kulex47

Postby adam » Sun 02.26.2006 9:04 pm

Hey Keatonatron

"Nihongo o hanasu doesn't make sense. You aren't doing the action of speak onto the Japanese, you are doing the action of speak through the Japanese."

How does that not make sense? That is the simple structure of of saying I speak Japanese or I will speak Japanese. I'm positive that is correct.
adam

Postby kulex47 » Sun 02.26.2006 10:06 pm

it depends on how you think of "japanese" really, if you think of the language as something like a Hammer to be used, then sure o would work, but I don't know...I'm not that skilled but of course everyone should know that by now =P
kulex47

Postby AJBryant » Sun 02.26.2006 10:12 pm

Remember that "wo" is an object marker -- not a "process marker".

(なになに)を話す is "speak about something.(なに語)で話す is "speak in a language.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Next

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems