Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Grammatical terms

Grammatical terms

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Grammatical terms

Postby crowfeather » Mon 02.27.2006 10:43 pm

I have been out of school for more years than I care to divulge. English is my native language and Japanese is the first additional language I have attempted to learn.
One of the problems I have encountered is that I don't remember the grammatical terms. I can't learn another language without knowing the grammatical terms and their definitions in my native language.
I know the definitions of the basic ones such as nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs etc. However I don't recall the names and definitions of sub-classifications of nouns, verbs , adjectives , etc .
Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of all of the grammatical terms with a brief definition of them?

Googling each one is a time consuming task and what I am finding is complete grammar sections instead of a list .
Thank you,
Barbara
crowfeather

RE: Grammatical terms

Postby randomperson » Mon 02.27.2006 11:42 pm

if your looking for the way to say them in japanese you can find it here http://thejapanesepage.com/readarticle. ... icle_id=24 tho it doesnt have definitions it has the sub-classifications i think your looking for.
Last edited by randomperson on Mon 02.27.2006 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randomperson

Postby Kates » Mon 02.27.2006 11:44 pm

If you're willing to buy a book, I found one called English Grammar for Students of Japanese. It explains the grammatical terms in the sense of each language (ie: English prepositions vs. Japanese 'prepositions') and has examples as well. My one complaint is that there is no kana... all romaji. >_< But, I suppose that's better than no examples at all. ^_^ (Looks like you can find it for a pretty fair price at half.com, too.)
Kates

Postby Mukade » Tue 02.28.2006 12:02 am

I think this is what you're looking for:

http://cctc.commnet.edu/grammar/

Everything you never wanted to know about English grammar.
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby rodegia » Tue 02.28.2006 12:11 am

I've noticed that people who have a firm understanding of their native language are able to pick up another language and progress faster in it (This is, of course, discounting children). I highly recommend The Elements of Style by EB White. It'll get you through almost everything but transitive and intransitive verbs, which English doesn't have much of.
rodegia

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems