Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Passive + なければ ?

Passive + なければ ?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Passive + なければ ?

Postby Shizen » Fri 04.15.2005 7:59 am

this I encountered in a manga, slightly shoujo-ish, and is eternally confusing me :

うちら の 歳って;
一発殴られなきゃ現実に気づけないの

from what I understand, "うち" is cutesy way of girl saying "I" so in this case the first bit can be read as "At our age".
now about the second bit ... pardon me if I mistake this but the best effort I can read it as, is "We fail to realize reality (until) it hits us".

Any comment and correction posted, I'll be very thankful for.
恐竜男
Shizen

RE: Passive + なければ ?

Postby Mukade » Fri 04.15.2005 8:04 pm

Shizen wrote:
this I encountered in a manga, slightly shoujo-ish, and is eternally confusing me :

うちら の 歳って;
一発殴られなきゃ現実に気づけないの

from what I understand, "うち" is cutesy way of girl saying "I" so in this case the first bit can be read as "At our age".
now about the second bit ... pardon me if I mistake this but the best effort I can read it as, is "We fail to realize reality (until) it hits us".

Any comment and correction posted, I'll be very thankful for.

Your translation is dead-on. Literally, of course, it's saying "We don't notice reality if it doesn't hit us," but the essence is just as you translated.

As for うち:
This isn't so much a cutesy way, but a Kansai way of saying "me" or "I." The Kansai area has the image of being blue collar and industrial. People from the Kansai area are thought of as being louder and more aggressive, but friendlier and more into telling jokes, etc. (In contrast, Tokyo people are looked at as more cosmopolitan, but also cold and impersonal.)

So, in movies and comics, Kansai dialect is often invoked to characterize an individual as being a louder, aggressive, "salt-of-the-earth" kind of person. Especially when this dialect is attached to a female character - she instantly takes on the atmosphere of a strong-willed, opinionated woman.
Mukade

Native language: English

RE: Passive + なければ ?

Postby Shizen » Sat 04.16.2005 1:26 pm

well... that opinion of mine also derived from listening to many 超元気 cutesy songs that uses "うち" as a 1st person word, but meh I guess that's just me.
also thanks for the reply.
恐竜男
Shizen

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems