Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - what does the following mean

what does the following mean

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

what does the following mean

Postby fifth-of-seven » Tue 05.10.2005 1:25 pm

Greeting fellows travellers on the road to learning NIHANGO. I've been using the text Japanese for Everyone and on page 81, in the reading comprehension exercise I've come across a word I am unable to decipher. It is the following, please pardon the romanji:

takakatta. I believe or suspect that is is the plain, past conjugation of the verb cook, but I have serious reservations. If any one knows this I'd appreicate the help.

arigatoo gozaimashita!
fifth-of-seven

RE: what does the following mean

Postby InsanityRanch » Tue 05.10.2005 1:59 pm

Nope. It's the past tense form of the adjective "takai" -- high.

Ex: Itachisan ha, se ga takakatta (desu).

Itachi was tall.
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Postby fifth-of-seven » Tue 05.10.2005 9:42 pm

Hmmm......I'm not saying I don't believe it but the problem is it would be completely out of context with the rest of the paragraph, which delt with a couple going out and eating at a resturant. I wish I could scan the page and display it. Anyway, I appreciate your taking an interst and thank you for the response.
fifth-of-seven

Postby Qbe » Tue 05.10.2005 11:57 pm

I believe that InsanityRanch has the analysis correct, but in this context (土田さん's diary entry) たかい means "expensive".
Qbe

Postby fifth-of-seven » Wed 05.11.2005 1:01 pm

Qbe, believe you are correct. I forgot that takai also means expense, as well as big. And since the paragraph delt with a resturaunt, that does make a lot more sense. That's a pity because takai was one of the first words I learned and I should have known it. Well, it seems I have my work cut out for me.

Thank you folks for your assistance.
fifth-of-seven

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems