Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Chan/San

Chan/San

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Chan/San

Postby Eiko » Thu 05.19.2005 7:22 pm

I understand the differences between chan and san, and I know I'm not supposed to use any of those titles on my own name, but I'm having difficulties discerning when and when not to use them when introducing someone.

Let's say that I am introducing some very close friends to someone I'm not so familiar with. How do I introduce my friends politely? With CHAN or with SAN? Or would I go for the even more polite SAMA?
Then, let's say I was introducing someone I was slightly familiar, but not on close terms, with. Would I introduce that person to anybody at all with SAN, CHAN, or SAMA?

Whew, I can seem to find any information on it. Or maybe I'm just not very attentive. Thanks for reading this, if you did. =)
Seeking a pen pal and to learn more about Japan. nagomey@aol.com. Thank you.
Eiko

RE: Chan/San

Postby Spaztick » Fri 05.20.2005 9:13 am

You would just introuce them, or use -san if you don't know them that well. Never use -chan.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

RE: Chan/San

Postby xdj220 » Fri 05.20.2005 3:49 pm

-chan is strictly for use with good friends (usually female), and young children. -san is safest. -kun is similar to -chan, but more commonly used, and wouldn't really be considered as rude, so much as informal. -sama is for use with people way above you, or who you greatly respect. -dono is sort of wierd...I guess it's a more polite version of -san. Some people from western Japan will also say -han instead of -san, but that's just a dialect.
\"Nonsense, I don\'t think one evil step ahead. I think FIVE evil steps ahead.\"
xdj220

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems