Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanjis with multiple readings (not for beginners)

Kanjis with multiple readings (not for beginners)

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Kanjis with multiple readings (not for beginners)

Postby chchan45 » Sat 01.06.2007 3:07 pm

Note: I labelled this thread "not for beginners" not to show off, but as I foresee that the discussion may become extremely confusing for them. Please do not read this thread if you are still struggling to learn the kun and on readings of kanjis.

During my kanji learning, I have come across kanjis which have multiple on or kun readings. Usually it is possible to determine the reading from their context and their okurigana, but in many cases it is not possible. I would be grateful if anybody can clarify.
漢字学習において、複数の音読みと訓読みをもつ漢字をよく出会います。文脈と送り仮名で読み方をことが推定できますが、できないケースも場合もよくあります。ご釈明をお願いします。

I have made a full list of these kanjis but to make things easier, I will start off with 5 of these examples and post more depending on the response.
リストを編集しておきましたが、質問を殺到しないように配慮して、5問で始めましょう。応答次第、少しずつ続いていきます。

For your reference, there is a [url=[url=http://homepage3.nifty.com/jgrammar/ja/hyouk001.htm]]full list for these onyomi verbs[/url].

1. 怒る(いかる・おこる)
[url]This site[/url] has some explanations. 「いかる」は「怒る」の雅語的阜サとあります。Is it correct to say that いかる the ancient form and おこる is the modern form?

2. 抱く(いだく・だく)
A site says いだく=「だく」の雅語的阜サ. Is this correct?

3. 脅かす(おどかす・おびやかす)
goo Japanese-English dictionary says both mean "to threaten". goo Japanese dictionary says おどかす means "to frighten (驚かす)" and おびやかす means "to threaten (脅威)"? Is goo Japanese dictionary correct?

4. 汚す(けがす・よごす)
According to this site, よごす means to dirty (physically) and けがす means to dishonour (名誉). Is this correct?

5. 入る(いる・はいる)
Unfortunately, I had a look and found nothing which makes sense. Could anybody explain the difference between these two readings?

Thank you.
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
1. English is not my first language.
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
chchan45

RE: Kanjis with multiple readings (not for beginners)

Postby paul_b » Sat 01.06.2007 3:16 pm

chchan45 wrote:
2. 抱く(いだく・だく)

I suppose you know the differences mentioned in WWWJDIC

抱く 【いだく(P); だく(P)】 (v5k,vt) (1) to embrace; to hold in the arms, e.g., a baby; to hug; (v5k,vt) (2) (いだく only) to harbour e.g., grudge; to harbor; to harbour; to entertain e.g., suspicion; (v5k) (3) (だく only) to sleep with; (v5k) (4) (だく only) to sit on eggs; (P

いだく is used for embracing intangibles, だく is used for sleeping with.

4. 汚す(けがす・よごす)
According to this site, よごす means to dirty (physically) and けがす means to dishonour (名誉). Is this correct?

There isn't that clear a divide, although that's certainly the trend.

Note that けがす is often written as 穢す (if kanji is used) in order to distinguish it from よごす.

5. 入る(いる・はいる)
Unfortunately, I had a look and found nothing which makes sense. Could anybody explain the difference between these two readings?

I've never seen(/heard) いる used outside of certain fixed expressions (like 気に入る).
paul_b

Postby chchan45 » Mon 01.08.2007 6:43 pm

Paul,

Thank you for your quick reply. Please find my comments below:

2. 抱く(いだく・だく)

I suppose you know the differences mentioned in WWWJDIC

抱く 【いだく(P); だく(P)】 (v5k,vt) (1) to embrace; to hold in the arms, e.g., a baby; to hug; (v5k,vt) (2) (いだく only) to harbour e.g., grudge; to harbor; to harbour; to entertain e.g., suspicion; (v5k) (3) (だく only) to sleep with; (v5k) (4) (だく only) to sit on eggs; (P

いだく is used for embracing intangibles, だく is used for sleeping with.

Apparently according to goo dictionary, いだく can also mean "to hold in your arms" as well as the intangibles (心がける?) as you said. だく is used for embrace (抱擁). I did not know that だく can also mean "to sleep with" :|.

4. 汚す(けがす・よごす)

There isn't that clear a divide, although that's certainly the trend.

Note that けがす is often written as 穢す (if kanji is used) in order to distinguish it from よごす.[/quote]

Thank you. I would like to point out, however, that 穢 is not 常用漢字 so it may be awkward to use it. I noticed an example where it is just written out in hiragana to avoid confusion.

5. 入る(いる・はいる)

I've never seen(/heard) いる used outside of certain fixed expressions (like 気に入る).[/quote]

Thank you very much for the explanation.
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
chchan45

Postby Shibakoen » Mon 01.08.2007 6:49 pm

when I see 入 as い it's usually as 入れる while 入る is はいる。
Shibakoen

Postby kohyin » Mon 01.08.2007 7:02 pm

1.怒る
おこるは、私の古い漢和辞典にはでてきません。いかるだけです。でも、息子の小学生用の国語辞典にはおこるとあります。昔は、おこるは当て字読みだったのではないかと思うのですが、はっきりとは言えません。 調べてみます。
Last edited by kohyin on Mon 01.08.2007 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
緑@光陰
http://www.kohyin.com
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

Postby kohyin » Mon 01.08.2007 9:54 pm

I am back! I went searching everywhere for the differences of おこる・いかる.
Now, basically I found lots of resourceful sites for Japanese learning, but had not much luck on this specific question. However, tendency is that more modern 国語辞典 have it read as おこる、while more 漢字字典 tend to have its first reading choice as いかる、then add おこる as a secondary reading option.

As for the meaning differences between いかる and おこる; while they both primarily mean "to be upset" and "to become bad", いかる has additional meaning of being very angry such as "to be irate", and "being very edgy". おこる on the ohter hand has separate meaning as "to scold" and often enough we use おこる in the place of 叱る.
Last edited by kohyin on Mon 01.08.2007 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
緑@光陰
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

Postby Oracle » Mon 01.08.2007 10:21 pm

kohyin wrote:
As for the meaning differences between いかる and おこる; while they both primarily mean "to be upset" and "to become bad", いかる has additional meaning of being very angry such as "to be irate", and "being very edgy". おこる on the ohter hand has separate meaning as "to scold" and often enough we use おこる in the place of 叱る.

Ah, that explains it. I have never really considered the difference between いかる and おこる but it exaplains why I often hear 怒り狂う (いかりくるう - "extremely angry / hopping mad") but never おこりくるう
Last edited by Oracle on Tue 01.09.2007 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oracle

Native language: English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 01.08.2007 11:39 pm

入る(いる) alone is rarely used in modern Japanese. 手に入る(いる) is one possibility, although the Koujien also gives 仏門に入る and 念が入った仕事をする -- I have a feeling that both 手に入る and 念が入る are set phrases and that "iru" is not particularly productive in that sense -- 仏門に入る also seems to be something of an idiom because that's the example sentence given for 仏門 also.

(入る(iru) to mean はいる is well attested in older Japanese; my kogo Jiten gives the example 夜になして京には入らむと思へば from the Tosa Nikki.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby kohyin » Tue 01.09.2007 2:48 am

By the way, "to be bad" is my typo. I meant to type "to be mad". Sorry.
緑@光陰
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

Postby kohyin » Tue 01.09.2007 2:55 am

手に入る(いる)

手に入れる という使い方が多いのではないでしょうか?
緑@光陰
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

Postby paul_b » Tue 01.09.2007 3:21 am

chchan45 wrote:
Paul,

Thank you for your quick reply. Please find my comments below:

Ironically I didn't. I've only just spotted your reply.
Note that けがす is often written as 穢す (if kanji is used) in order to distinguish it from よごす.

Thank you. I would like to point out, however, that 穢 is not 常用漢字 so it may be awkward to use it. I noticed an example where it is just written out in hiragana to avoid confusion.

Well _I_ would like to point out that I specifically included (if kanji is used) for that very reason. :D
paul_b

RE: おこる・いかる/だく・いだく/おどかす・

Postby coco » Tue 01.09.2007 11:09 pm

Chchanさん。さすがに良いサイトをみつけますね。 :)

1. 怒る(いかる・おこる)
[url]This site[/url] has some explanations. 「いかる」は「怒る」の雅語的阜サとあります。Is it correct to say that いかる the ancient form and おこる is the modern form?

このサイトの説明どおり、「いかる」を「おこる」の雅語的阜サと赴Lしてある辞書もあります。(『新明解国語辞典』もそうなっています)

「いかる」という動詞・複合動詞として覚えておいた方がいいものとして思い浮かぶのは
・烈火のごとく怒(いか)る
・怒(いか)り心頭に発する
・怒(いか)り狂(くる)う
あたりです。この三つは「怒=いか」です。

・親に怒られた。
のように受け身で使うときは、「おこられる」であり「いかられる」と読むことはほとんどありません。
また、
・山田さんがその件で怒ってるよ。
というような平易文の場合、「おこって」と読むのが普通です。
たまに若者が「田中が怒(いか)って机を壊した」などと使うような場合もありますが、これは「怒り狂って」の中途半端な使い方で、「おこる」を使う方が圧倒的だと思います。
「いかり」は主に名詞として用いられるケースが多いと思います。
・なかなか怒りがおさまらない。
・腰痛とは怒りである (書籍のタイトル)
ご存知のように名詞は「おこり」とは読みません。

2. 抱く(いだく・だく)

はい。これも『新明解国語辞典』のひとつめの解釈として「【だく】の雅語的阜サ」とあります。
例として
・我が子を抱(いだ)く母親
が載っています。
この場合、[だくvsいだく]の読み分けは難しくなりますが、全体の文章の阜サ傾向、前後の言葉のリズムによって読み分けるしかありません。この場合は「我が子」という言葉遣いがポイントになります。

雅語的阜サとは別に、「いだく」の解釈の二番目として「ある種の思いつめた気持ちを持つ」が『新明解国語辞典』には挙げられています( gooの国語辞典もほぼ同じですのでご参照ください)。
この場合は、「だく」ではなく「いだく」と読むケースがほとんどです。
・私は彼に不信感を抱(いだ)いた。
・その男に恐(おそ)れを抱(いだ)いた。
・少年よ 大志を抱(いだ)け。

3. 脅かす(おどかす・おびやかす)
goo Japanese-English dictionary says both mean "to threaten". goo Japanese dictionary says おどかす means "to frighten (驚かす)" and おびやかす means "to threaten (脅威)"? Is goo Japanese dictionary correct?

英語の to threaten/to frighten のニュアンスがわかりませんので、直接の答えにはならないかもしれませんが…。

yahooの辞書から「おびやかす」を引用すると
・ 彼は生命を脅かされている
His life is threatened [in jeopardy].
・ 学問[言論]の自由を脅かすもの
a threat to 「academic freedom [freedom of speech]
・ それは公共の秩序を脅かすものだ
It is a great menace to peace and order in society.

これらの「おびやかす」の読み方でもわかるように、抽象的な危機についてはおもに「おびやかす」が使われます。
WWWJDICの例文検索がますます便利になりましたので、他の例も確認してみてください。

「おどかす」は「びっくりさせる」程度でも会話文では使われます。
「驚かす」と「おどかす」が混ざったような使い方です。
たとえば女子高生の会話。
(AがBの背後から足音を立てないように近づいてきて、いきなりBの目をふさぐ)
B:わ〜! びっくりした。脅(おど)かさないでよ!
A: えへへ。驚いた?
B: 心臓が止まるかと思ったよ。

このときのBの「脅(おど)かさないで」は「おびやかさないで」とは読みません。
20代の女性がストーカーのような男性につきまとわれて(付き纏われて)苦情をいうときには以下のような文脈で「おびやかさないで」と読むことになります。
・あなたの行動には非常に迷惑しています。私の安全と自由を脅(おびや)かさないでください。

「おどかす」は、平仮名で赴Lされることの方が多いと思いますが、「おどかす」は、より(more)直接的・瞬間的な働きかけ。これがもっと深刻な脅威・脅迫になると「脅す」になります。
「おびやかす」は概念的・心理的な圧迫--と分けるといいかもしれません。

*彼は生命を脅(おびや)かされている
というyahooの例文の場合は、長期にわたって心理的に追い詰められるような形での脅威が続くような状況が推測されます。「彼は脅(おど)されている。」という阜サはあっても
「彼は脅(おど)かされている。」という阜サは奇異に感じます。
「彼は生命を脅(おど)かされている。」とも使いません。
Last edited by coco on Wed 01.10.2007 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

けがす・よごす/いる・はいる

Postby coco » Wed 01.10.2007 8:11 am

4. 汚す(けがす・よごす)

傾向としては正しいと思います。
古文ではまた異なると思いますが、通常は、説明のように視認可狽ナ清掃が必要になるような場合には、「よごす」を使うことが多いと思います。

・部屋を汚(よご)す
これは物理的なので「よごす」
・末席を汚(けが)す
これは物理的な意味ではないので「けがす」。

慣用句で難しいのは
・口(くち)汚(よご)し 
この言葉はなぜか「よごし」が使われています。
・耳が汚(けが)れる/耳を汚(けが)す
両方があわさって
・お耳よごしの話ですみません。
という言葉を使う人も多くいます。

>緑さん。私の古語辞典には「よごす」がありませんがいかがですか?
(「おこる」もありません^^)

5. 入る(いる・はいる)

「いる」
『新明解国語辞典』は「いる」の説明として
「はいる」の雅語的阜サ。
と最初に解説が来ています。
わかりやすいのは大辞林かもしれません。
「はいる」のやや古風な言い方。
《参考》今日では、ふつう単独には「はいる」が使われ、「いる」は慣用的な言いまわしの中で使われることが多い。

ですので文語阜サの中には「いる」と読ませるものも出てきますし、諺や詩歌などでは「いる」が残っています。俳句も「入(い)る」「入(い)り」と読ますことの方が多いかもしれません。
・郷(ごう)に入(い)っては郷(ごう)に従(したが)え

「いる」として使われるものでよく耳にするのは
《接尾語》{動詞の連用形について}
?その動作・状態の程度がはなはだしい意を浮キ。深く…する。「念じ入る」「おどろき入る」「たのみ入る」
?すっかり…する。ほとんど…する。「寝入る」「絶え入る」「消え入る」《文語形》《四段活用》

のあたりではないでしょうか。
このほか複合動詞の場合は ほとんど「いる」と読むかもしれません。
・取り入(い)る
・付け入(い)る
・立ち入(い)る
・聞き入(い)る

Chchanさんの疑問はどれもごもっともで、私たちも迷うときが多々あります。
よく使われる慣用句などを覚えて、他は基本的な法則で判断する−というのが順当だろうと思います。私たちでもそうしていますから。 ;)

国語審議会の過去の議論にもまさに(!!)Chchanさんの抱(いだ)い疑問と同じものが出てましたので引用します。

66回(1967年)−怒

「怒」に,「いかる」「おこる」の二とおりの読み方があるというのも混乱の一つであると思う。国語審議会が世間の要望を受け入れるのはよいけれども,国語赴Lの混乱を起こすようなことに傾いてはならないと考える。このような考え方について,総会の意見を承りたい。

77回(1969年)−汚
たとえば,「汚」には,現行では「けがす」だけがあるが,試案では「現代のことば」という観点から考えて,「よごす」という訓もつけることにした。この場合「よごす,けがす」ともに「汚す」と書くことになるし,また「よごれる,けがれる」も「汚れる」と書くことになるが,これでよいかどうか慎重に検討している。
Last edited by coco on Wed 01.10.2007 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Postby chchan45 » Wed 01.10.2007 6:56 pm

Thank you for the detailed reply of coco san. Here is my (attempted) translation of the posts:

1. As the explanation in this site [which chchan45 provided the link to] goes, there are indeed dictionaries which say that "いかる" is the elegant form of "おこる".

For examples of "いかる" (simple and compound verbs) which you should learn, I can think of the following:
・烈火のごとく怒(いか)る
・怒(いか)り心頭に発する
・怒(いか)り狂(くる)う
In all these 3 cases, 怒 is read as いか.

For passive expressions such as the following, 怒られる is almost always read as "okorareru" rather than "ikarareru":
・親に怒られた。

Note: I can think of an example in 千と千尋の神隠し. In the beginning of the film, when Chihiro's parents started eating the food at the stall, Chihiro said to them: お店の人に怒(おこ)れるよ。 However, as Paul has pointed out, 怒(おこ)る in can mean "to scold" as well as "to get angry". This seems to be a good example.

Also, for such as the following, it is normal to read 怒って as "okotte".
・山田さんがその件で怒ってるよ。

Sometimes youngsters may say 田中が怒(いか)って机を壊した, this is actually truncating the expression 怒り狂って. I think the reading of おこる is predominant.

I think いかり is mainly used for nouns.
・なかなか怒りがおさまらない。
・腰痛とは怒りである (書籍のタイトル)
ご存知のように名詞は「おこり」とは読みません。

2. 抱く(いだく・だく)

Yes, a dictionary has the same statement that いだく is the elegant form. It even contains an example:
・我が子を抱(いだ)く母親

In these cases, it is difficult to differentiate between だく and いだく. You can only tell from looking what the sentence says as well as the rhythm of the words before and after. In this case, the use of 我が子 [translation note: which I think is literary and archaic] is a good indicator.

Other than being the elegant form, the dictionary also states that there is a second explanation of いだく - it shows that you have a certain feeling. In these cases, 抱く is almost always read as いだく:
・私は彼に不信感を抱(いだ)いた。
・その男に恐(おそ)れを抱(いだ)いた。
・少年よ 大志を抱(いだ)け。

3. 脅かす(おどかす・おびやかす)
As I do not know the nuance between to threaten and to frighten. I may not be able to answer directly.

You are correct. Frighten means びっくりさせる not 脅威する. Other verbs with the same meaning also include to scare, to shock. "You scared me" is a common expression (慣用句) in English.

I quote some examples of おびやかす from the yahoo dictionary
・ 彼は生命を脅かされている
His life is threatened [in jeopardy].
・ 学問[言論]の自由を脅かすもの
a threat to 「academic freedom [freedom of speech]
・ それは公共の秩序を脅かすものだ
It is a great menace to peace and order in society.

As in these examples, in the case of abstract threats and dangers, 脅かす is mainly read as おびやかす.

As it is becoming easier and easier to search for sentences using WWWJDIC, please try looking up other examples to be sure.

おどかすは「びっくりさせる」程度でも会話文では使われます。
おどかす is used in conversations to indicate surprise to the extent of shock.
驚かす can be used interchangeably with おどかす.

For example, here is a conversation between two high-school schoolgirls.
(A approaches B from behind silently and puts her hands over A's eyes.)
B:わ〜! びっくりした。脅(おど)かさないでよ!(Wow, you scared me. Don't surprise me like that.)
A: えへへ。驚いた? (Haha. Were you surprised?)
B: 心臓が止まるかと思ったよ。 (I thought I was going to have a heart attack.)

In this example, 脅かさないで cannot be read as おびやかさないで
Women in their twenties would complain like this when being stalked by men.
・あなたの行動には非常に迷惑しています。私の安全と自由を脅(おびや)かさないでください。
In this case, 脅 is read as おびや.

Many cases of おどかす are simply written using hiragana. The threats described by
おどかす have a more immediate and instantaneous effect. More serious threats are described by 脅す(おどす)

It may be easier to understand おびやかす as a conceptual or psychological oppression.

This is an example from the yahoo dictionary.
彼は生命を脅(おびや)かされている
It may be interpreted as a threat continuing during a long period of time and driving him crazy.

(Not sure if this is correct)
We also have the following expression:
「彼は脅(おど)されている。」
but the following would sound strange:
「彼は脅(おど)[color=red]か
されている。」[/color]
The following is not used at all.
「彼は生命を脅(おど)かされている。」

I have the following examples from examination questions:
1.口が裂けても事件を真実を話すつもりはなかったが、いつか犯人に襲われるかも知れないという不安にいつも[color=red]脅かされ
ていた。
2.その小説家は、視力の衰えに脅かされながら小説を完成した。そして、長年彼を支えてくれた賢明な妻に心を込めてそれをささげた。

Both should be read as おびやかされ (confirmed with coco san).
[/color]

4. 汚す(けがす・よごす)

As a generalisation this is correct.
There are exceptions in archaic writing, but usually よごすis used for cases where physical cleaning is required.

・部屋を汚(よご)す
This is physical so use よごす
・末席を汚(けが)す (A humble expression when you join a group or attending a meeting.)
This is not physical so use けがす

Idioms are where things become more complicated:
・口(くち)汚(よご)し 
For some reason, よごし is used in this expression.
・耳が汚(けが)れる/耳を汚(けが)す
Both けがれ andけがす are fine. There are many people who would say:
・お耳よごしの話ですみません。

Note that よごす and おこる are not found in dictionaries for archaic words.

5. 入る(いる・はいる)

The first dictionary [I checked] says that いる is the elegant form of はいる

The explanation which is probably easy [for you] to understand is from 大辞林:
いる is the slightly archaic form of はいる.
Today, はいる is generally used when on its own, but there are still many cases where いる is using in idiomatic expressions.

Therefore, いるappears in literary expressions and remains in idioms, poems and songs. In haiku, there may be many cases of 入(い)る and 入(い)り. Here is an example of an idiom:
郷(ごう)に入(い)っては郷(ごう)に従え (When in Rome, do as the Romans. Note also the strange reading of 郷. It should normally be きょう)

It is probably right to say that the cases I often hear (of はいる being read as いる) fall into these categories:
《接尾語》{動詞の連用形について}
?Shows the enormity/gravity of an action or state. For example, 「念じ入る」「おどろき入る」「たのみ入る」
?To do something completely or nearly completely. For example, 「寝入る」「絶え入る」「消え入る」

Other than that, in composite verbs はいるare almost always read as いる:
・取り入(い)る
・付け入(い)る
・立ち入(い)る
・聞き入(い)る

The normal way is to remember the readings in common idiomatic expressions, and work it out using some basic rules in the other situations. We (the Japanese) all do it like this.
Last edited by chchan45 on Thu 01.11.2007 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
chchan45

Postby coco » Thu 01.11.2007 12:32 am

Chchanさん。訳してくださってありがとうございます。
雅語の訳が難しかったと思いますがelegantもひとつの候補ですよね。

気がついたことろを。
More serious threats are described by 脅す(おどかす)

脅す=おどす

(Not sure if this is correct)
We also have the following expression:
「彼は脅(おど)[color=red]か
される。」
but the following would sound strange:
「彼は脅(おど)かされている。」[/color]
The following is not used at all.
「彼は生命を脅(おど)かされている。」

coco wrote:
「彼は脅(おど)されている。」という阜サはあっても
「彼は脅(おど)かされている。」という阜サは奇異に感じます。
「彼は生命を脅(おど)かされている。」とも使いません。

○彼はおどされている。 ( without か. おどされる>おどす)
×彼はおどされている。( with か)
(「彼は驚かされた」なら通じます。
「 彼は驚かされっぱななしだ」も通じます。
「おどかす/おどろかす」という行為の受け身が継続阜サ(=ている形)になっているので奇異に感じます。)

×彼は生命をおどかされている。
○彼は生命をおびやかされている。
I have the following examples from examination questions:
1.口が裂けても事件を真実を話すつもりはなかったが、いつか犯人に襲われるかも知れないという不安にいつも[color=red]脅かされ
ていた。
2.その小説家は、視力の衰えに脅かされながら小説を完成した。そして、長年彼を支えてくれた賢明な妻に心を込めてそれをささげた。

I think both are read as おびやかされ. Am I correct?
[/color]

はい。両方とも「おびやかされ」で合っています。 :)
Last edited by coco on Fri 01.12.2007 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Next

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems