Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A few simple questions.

A few simple questions.

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

A few simple questions.

Postby Wolfie » Fri 06.03.2005 10:50 pm

First of all, how do you say,"I must ______"? I understand that it is negative form - i is added onto -kereba narimasen. Like, if I said,"I must be early," It would be ,"はやくなければ なりませ."?

Also, are there shorter ways to saying,"I must" like there are in english? o.O Like...,"I gotta do my homework," or. "I hafta go to school."? Because thats awfully long just to say "must"...:|

Finally, does anyone know any good japanese workbooks? ^^ Just workbooks though? Because I have many books that teach grammar, but none that really allow exercises for me to memorize it. Eh, I dunno, I have to actually practice it rather then just read it and stuff...and if I go to practice it in everyday life, I usually forget because my attention span is horrible. XD But since i'm teaching myself, a workbook probably wont be horribly tedious, since I can work at my own pace...unlike in school where we work on a basic english sentence for half of the year. x_X;;
Last edited by Wolfie on Sat 06.04.2005 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfie

RE: A few simple questions.

Postby Toriyama » Sat 06.04.2005 1:28 am

I know what you mean about working at your own pace and having to write down the kana. I just write each character about 20 times on a piece of paper while saying the pronounciation out loud. It helps me to remember them better or you can buy a kanji script book from thejapanshop.com. I will be taking Japanese in school next year but I am getting a big head-start now.
Toriyama

Postby lomagu » Sat 06.04.2005 6:43 am

hey, you can say,"はやくなければ なりません。" as 「はやくなければならない」 . That's the plain form you can use with your friends. To make it even shorter, you can change 「なければ」 to 「なきゃ」 so it would become, 「はやなきゃ」 you can leave off the 「ならない」 bit.

Another way to say it is, 「はやくなくてはならない」. In this case, the 「なくては」 becomes, 「なくちゃ」. So you can say, 「はやくなくちゃ」. Same goes with verbs.. 勉強しなくちゃ! ー> I have to study!

I hope this helps ;)
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

Postby Wolfie » Sat 06.04.2005 10:45 am

Thank you very much for you're help. Your quick little rundown was very understable to me. ^-^

Toriyama, you're so lucky you get to take japanese next year. *_*; I have to wait about two more years before I get into highschool, and i'm not even sure if i'm going to get into the highschool I want ((Hi-Tech)), which has a japanese course. If I go to the local one, I can't take a japanese class because they don't have one. u_u
Wolfie

Postby maikeru » Mon 06.06.2005 3:25 am

I don't think ~なければ....... means 'must' as in 'I must be late'. I think it only means must like 'have to' like 学校に行かなくちゃ I must go to school.

Good luck with your Japanese! I'm in my third year of studying Japanese. If your local school doesn't offer Japanese, maybe you could take it by correspondence. I had to change schools last year and my new school doesn't have a Japanese class (although it's bigger). So I have to do my Japanese through 'The Correspondence School'. I live in New Zealand but I think America must have a correspondence school. Correspondence is certainly harder for most people though....
maikeru

~

Postby maikeru » Mon 06.06.2005 3:26 am

oops! I pressed the button twice!
Last edited by maikeru on Mon 06.06.2005 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
maikeru

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems