Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - chan-san-kun - ect.

chan-san-kun - ect.

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

chan-san-kun - ect.

Postby caseclosed » Mon 06.06.2005 1:18 pm

whats it all mean? ive heard a lot in manga, but i dont know what they all mean, i ve got a idea of what they mean, can any1tell me what EVERY 1 OR SOME of them
caseclosed

RE: chan-san-kun - ect.

Postby dragon89 » Mon 06.06.2005 2:00 pm

they're um... I can't think of the word. Suffixes I suppose. San is about the sam as Mr or Mrs i believe. Chan is usally used for children. Kun, is used for boys and in the place of San i think. I'm at school if i can get on after i'll write a better explanation
dragon89

Postby caseclosed » Mon 06.06.2005 2:42 pm

i always though chan was used for good friends or girls(somthing like that):p, i could be wrong(i Knew they were suffixes)
Last edited by caseclosed on Mon 06.06.2005 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caseclosed

Postby tzuzuki » Mon 06.06.2005 7:03 pm

some more are...

-sensei -- teacher, doctor
-sama -- very polite for someone much higher than you (like the Queen)
-dono -- respectful thingy (I dont know!) but its in some anime and manga
tzuzuki

Postby Wolfie » Mon 06.06.2005 9:25 pm

Here they are. =D

-Chan: Usually used when reffering to girls, but it can also be applied to boys. I have heard it used among adults and young children. ^^;; Also, usually it is only the first one or two sylables of the persons first name. Like my name, Kristina, would probably be Krissy-Chan.

-Kun: Just like Chan, only used for boys. I haven't heard this term applied to girls.

-Sempai: Not exactly like a teacher, but a mentor. Usually they are older friends.

-Sensei: Teacher.

-Sama: A highly respected person.

-San: Litterly Mr/Mrs./Miss/Ms. You never use this when reffering to yourself.

Those are the only ones I can think of right now...xD;
Last edited by Wolfie on Mon 06.06.2005 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfie

Postby hihlordjp » Tue 06.07.2005 11:02 am

-ちゃん (-chan) isn't exclusively for girls or children. You can use it with someone you're very close to. My friend calls his older sister あねえちゃん (anee-chan).
俺様は何時か此の地球の帝王に成るぞ!
...ジョウダンだよ。ヘヘ ^^;;

「君という光が私を見つける // 真夜中に」-- 「光」という歌より(歌手:宇多田ヒカル)
hihlordjp

Postby caseclosed » Tue 06.07.2005 6:43 pm

Can you also tell me what its used with because i know that some are used with last names(family names) and first names
Last edited by caseclosed on Tue 06.07.2005 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caseclosed

Postby caseclosed » Tue 06.14.2005 4:28 pm

answear me
caseclosed

Postby mandolin » Mon 06.20.2005 3:43 pm

It can be tacked onto either first or last names. For the most part, one only referrs to someone else by their last name out of respect, unless they are friends and/or family. So most often you will see -san and -kun attached to a last name, and -chan attached to a first name, but that's not a concrete rule.
mandolin

Postby caseclosed » Thu 06.23.2005 12:51 pm

ive also heard neechan(or something of that), i think its used by little kids as a form of respec, but im just guessing
caseclosed

Postby mandolin » Thu 06.23.2005 7:27 pm

Well, can't really say without knowing the situations where you've heard that.

It sounds to me like you've heard a younger sibling talking to an elder sibling. Like a little sister will call her brother "onii-chan".

And, just like in english, a child may become attached to a non-family member and refer to him/her as part of their family out of affection, and call this person 'big brother' or 'big sister' in that context.

Outside of that... dunno.
mandolin

Postby Orakio » Sat 06.25.2005 6:05 am

I have a little anecdote concerning this thread. Originally I was born in London where I lived for ten years in a very poor community. In school we used Miss or Mr to address teachers. At ten I was sent away to live with my grandparents so that I could go to a decent upper class school. Ofcourse, I was reprimanded by the first teacher I encountered for calling her miss. After a while I became very accustomed to addressing them Sir and Maam/Madam. In this school behavior was much better. There were no stabbings, children got good decent results all of the teachers and most of the pupils were white. Three years of that my bad behavior was to much for my grandparents and they sent me back to London to go to a boys' school. I was laughed at by all the students in the class for calling the teacher Maam. Those lucky Japansies only have to deal with sensei.

Also, there's the dono suffix which is a bit like sama.
Orakio

Postby theciz » Sat 06.25.2005 7:51 am

As far as I've observed, the term for chan, san, kun, etc, at least in english, is "honorifics". I don't know if that's the right word, but I read it in the back of EQ, so it must be right! Lol, kidding. Anyway, as far as I've picked up from manga:

Chan: Used with people your own age/close to you/friends. Mainly with girls, but it can be used with boys too!
Kun: Used with people younger than yourself, eg. children, or friends.
San: The Nihongo equivalent of Mr. Miss. Mrs. Ms. , etc. Used as a sign of respect.
Sama: Used with someone you have a lot of respect for, such as the mayor of your area or somebody like that.

Personally, I use all of them depending on the mood I am in with my friends, like if they're really annoying me I'll call them "kun", my own way of implying they're being childish, etc. Not exactly the proper use, but I little more fun! :D
yugamitsukeru toki no hazama de
senaka ni sashita naifu o tsubasa ni mitate
sora o aogitsuzuke
boku no karadajuu o meguru kioku no baitai subete o
yakitsukusu tame
kimi dake o mita...
theciz

Postby caseclosed » Mon 09.26.2005 4:20 pm

i heard neechan from the manga Detective Conan whare Conan called Ran just Ran, and she yelled at him to call her Ran-neechan, and to show some respect soooo...
caseclosed

Postby skrhgh3b » Mon 09.26.2005 4:53 pm

this really deserves an in-depht article because going wrong with a title can be a real fauxpas.
skrhgh3b

Next

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems