Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Let someone do something.

Let someone do something.

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

RE: Let someone do something.

Postby TsukimiyaAyu » Sun 05.20.2007 4:58 am

Osaka-ben
僕の下手な日本語を許して! 一月から勉強していた

嘘だぁッ!
TsukimiyaAyu

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 05.20.2007 5:12 am

TsukimiyaAyu wrote:
Osaka-ben

Every time you open your mouth, you prove my point.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby TsukimiyaAyu » Sun 05.20.2007 5:22 am

Ban me already... i've ran out of ideas.

I've got tutors and friends who also study, I don't need some keijiban with condescending jerks. (Not talking about everyone here, but the people I am referring to know who they are [and probably don't care] ) .

For now I'm gonna leave and never come back.

bye
僕の下手な日本語を許して! 一月から勉強していた

嘘だぁッ!
TsukimiyaAyu

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 05.20.2007 7:41 am

I am unspeakably honored to have administered the last footprint on your backside.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby lalaith » Sun 05.20.2007 10:21 am

TsukimiyaAyu wrote:

I've got tutors and friends who also study, I don't need some keijiban with condescending jerks. (Not talking about everyone here, but the people I am referring to know who they are [and probably don't care] ) .

bye

I try very hard to remember that the majority of people on this forum are very young, in fact, mainly teenagers. So, even though most of them are remarkably mature for their age, so mature I've been surprised to discover some of them are teenagers, I keep in mind that in dealing with teenagers there are going to be an unfortunate few that act their age or, sometimes, even younger than their age -- which means compensating for their insecurity by being defensively prickly, smart-mouthed, highly sensitive over-reactors with a limited sense of manners. (This does not describe the regular teenage posters on this forum.) And, keeping that less mature kind of teenage behavior in mind, I'm willing to give those posters second chances.

Back when this blow-up first happened, in PMing TsukimiyaAyu I gave her (? -- based on the avatar) the following suggestions after she apologized to Chris, to me and to the group:

1 Let this thread die -- just stop responding to it
2 Lurk for a while to let things cool off
3 After the lurking, (unless she had an urgent question) post a reply to an innocuous thread
4 Do not rattle any cages (She mentioned in one of her PMs she wanted to rattle some.)
5 DO NOT post in Japanese, as it was clear her Japanese wasn't good. Post only in English unless she had a specific translation question.

And, if you can believe this, she agreed with me. So it's not as if she "ran out of ideas." She knew exactly how to act -- she just chose to completely disregard it as I then proceeded to watch what had to be either the single worst case of teenage "I know what's best, adult advice is stupid" I've ever seen or a case of deliberate trolling disrupting multiple threads.

This kid, I'm guessing, is not a young teen based on the fact she's planning a trip to Japan next year. I find myself praying she's not an American. Because I just picture her going around Japan insulting people with her Japanese and those people thinking she's an example of what Americans are like. But it's clear she won't listen to anyone about her Japanese language usage, not people who've lived there, not even the Japanese people. As far as she's concerned, what she sees in anime & the way she and her other teenage friends talk is the way it is. (This, for TsukimiyaAyu's benefit should she ever read this thread again, is like someone from another country believing American family life is what he sees in sit-coms.)

I can only hope that she grows up, but until then, I agree with Chris on this thread. I truly hate to say this, but right now, whatever her actual age, she's too young for this forum.
Last edited by lalaith on Sun 05.20.2007 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby SirFirestorm » Sun 05.20.2007 11:09 am

TsukimiyaAyu wrote:

bye

Emo status granted.
This is probably one of the nicest forums I frequent. On some of the others, you would probably get just a "Cry more plz" and your sexuality questioned. You would also be surprised to learn the things your mother/father/cat does with random people on the internets.

bye
SirFirestorm

Postby AJBryant » Sun 05.20.2007 2:12 pm

Doesn't matter. It's banned.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby katafei » Sun 05.20.2007 3:37 pm

I hope you're kidding....
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 05.20.2007 3:44 pm

Why should he be kidding? I'm surprised he wasn't banned sooner!
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby doinkies » Sun 05.20.2007 4:26 pm

I just got around to reading this thread. I'm not surprised TsukimiyaAyu got banned after what he/she wrote in this thread. I like anime and manga, but I don't just go around spitting out insults picked up from said anime and manga and imitating how the 'tough guy' characters speak. I'm always very polite when I speak in Japanese to people I don't know well. I certainly don't call people お前 or tell them 「うるさい、うるさい、うるさい、きさま!」.

In short, TsukimiyaAyu is a doink, and gives a bad name to anime and manga fans who aren't doinks. I certainly hope he/she doesn't go to Japan and always use タメ口 and insult people there...he certainly would not have a good reputation there.
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Postby Strawberry_Juice » Sun 05.20.2007 5:01 pm

Infidel wrote:
That's a really good example. I dunno if it's strictly a guy thing or an american guy thing, but me and my friends are constantly insulting each other, but we all know it's not meant. I can't comment on girls, but I somehow don't expect they bond by insulting each other constantly.

I've now got one more bias against roumaji. Rikai-chan won't work with roumaji.

I can only really speak for myself, but with my close friends who are girls... we always insult each other. But not like "'Sup, bitch." More like just making rude but sarcastic comments.

"Could you lend me a pencil?"
Response= "Ew, not to you!" while handing them a pencil.
Strawberry_Juice

Postby clay » Sun 05.20.2007 5:49 pm

I don't need some keijiban with condescending jerks.

For him to have written that... That's just downright funny.

Usually you have to prod beginners to actually use the language. Too bad this kid had NO respect for the language and even less* for the people he addressed.

*previously though impossible
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby tanuki » Sun 05.20.2007 6:14 pm

doinkies wrote:
In short, TsukimiyaAyu is a doink

This thread is priceless. :D

Hey, Tony, where's that "My work here is done!" image I like so much?
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby lalaith » Sun 05.20.2007 7:17 pm

Well, since this thread's gone totally to pot, I can ask something I've been curious about ever since Tanuki referenced the Akiru thread a few weeks back.

How can you tell if someone's been banned? They still show up as "Member" both in their posts and when their profile is pulled up.

I was doing some searching through the old threads on banning. I could only find three people who've been banned: Akiru and Iwark (plus their sock puppets) and someone called Nebbie. I guess there may have been more that I did not find, but still, overall, it look like not that many people have been banned.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby Infidel » Sun 05.20.2007 7:54 pm

Some forums have a banned tag, but most it's just that they never post again.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

PreviousNext

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems