Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - suimasen

suimasen

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

suimasen

Postby jinksys » Wed 06.29.2005 4:35 am

Do SUMIMASEN and SUIMASEN both mean excuse me? Ive never heard of suimasen before, and my dictionary doesnt include it.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

RE: suimasen

Postby lomagu » Wed 06.29.2005 6:30 am

ya, they're the same. I think "suimasen" is just a faster way of saying "sumimasen." There's also "sumanai" and "suman" but I think they're more casual.
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

Postby kanadajin » Wed 06.29.2005 11:25 am

yes, suimasen is another one of their slang words.. becuase they both sound identical when speaking just that sumimasen is just a longer version
kanadajin

Postby Alpha9 » Sun 07.03.2005 7:43 pm

What about shitsure shimashita? Does that mean 'excuse me' also?
Last edited by Alpha9 on Sun 07.03.2005 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
私は日本語がわかりません!!
あほ、危ない!!
Alpha9

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 07.03.2005 9:21 pm

Yes, but it's more polite.

It literally means 'I was rude'

It's usually said when leaving the office of a superior, or when you leave someone's house. (as well as in normal conversation)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Alpha9 » Sun 07.03.2005 9:56 pm

Gotcha, arigatou
私は日本語がわかりません!!
あほ、危ない!!
Alpha9

Postby skrhgh3b » Sun 07.24.2005 10:08 pm

「すいません」 is simply a conversational corruption of 「すみません」(i think you'll agree it's a little easier to roll off the tongue in a hurry) and you're more likely to hear it in day-to-day life in japan. i discovered this about half way through my recent trip to japan when i noticed i always said 「すみません」 but everyone else always said 「すいません」
skrhgh3b

Postby MenomaMinx » Sun 07.24.2005 10:33 pm

{from Nihongo notes 2 }

Page 14
"Gomennassai
ごめんなさい
(I'm sorry)

At the office where Mr. Lerner works, a reception was held yesterday afternoon in honor of an important visitor. Mr. Lerner was then asked to give a short speech in Japanese. Since everybody looked very formal , he became rather nervous and made a mistake in pronouncing the guest's name, so he hurriedly apologized, saying

Gomennassai
(I'm sorry.)

Many of the people there laughed. This helped the people relax, although Mr. Lerner lost some confidence in his Japanese..

Later Mr. Takkada said that they had laughed because Gomennassai sounds feminine: Ms. Yoshida said that it was because the expression sounds childless.

Mr. Lerner should have said

Shitsuree-shimashita
失礼しました
(literally, I was rude.)

Instead of Gomennassai.Gomennassai is one of those expressions that are used mostly at home between family members, while Shitsuree-shimashita is used in social situations. Little children usually apologize to their parents or teachers by saying Gomennassai, but Shitsuree-shimashita is not usually used between family members. (Sumimasen is also used in apology . It is less formal than Shitsuree-shimashita and its used both inside and outside of one's home, by adults or older boys and girls; if a child said Sumimasen to his parents it would sound rather strange.

Outside of the home, Gomennassai is used mainly in family like situations. Most often it is used by children; among adults, it is often used in informal conversation. For instance, a child will say it to a stranger whose foot he has stepped on by mistake in the train. An elderly person may say it to a younger person even when working at the office unless he has to be formal.

The distinction between formal or social expressions such as Shitsuree-shimashita and familiars expressions such as Gomennassai seems to becoming looser. Some people have start using familiar expressions, either intentionally or unintentionally, in formal or social situations. But still it is important to choose appropriate expressions according to the situation if you want to be a really good speaker of Japanese."
Click below daily or a bunch of starving people will come to your house to eat you!(Either way, problem solved :-)
http://www.quickdonations.com/ http://www.donationjunction.com
MenomaMinx

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems