Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - sadistic grammar translations

sadistic grammar translations

Do you have a translation question?

sadistic grammar translations

Postby caroline » Sat 03.29.2008 8:59 am

I enclose hereafter some sentences, twisted indeed, who have no other goal than test some grammar points. So they may look strange, even in english.
The sure thing, they are far beyond my abilities... so I would appreciate any input showing me where I have gone wrong, hoping there are not so many mistakes that it will deter good will. I really did my best ( it says much about my inabilities :? )
Thanks in advance

1.田中さんは、楽しそうににわで遊んでいる子供を見た、大事なことを思い出しそうで着替えずに大急ぎで出かけた。

Mr Tanaka, who was, looking happy, watching the children play in the garden, went out in a hurry, without even changing his clothes as if he remembered something important.

2.去年の10月から日本語を習っているのは、今年の夏に学校の研修で日本に行くからでもあって、その後も学校を卒業したら日本に働くのために日本語を勉強しりたいもからです。

If I’m studying japanese since last october, it’s of course because I both will go to Japan the coming summer for the school internship and want to go on studying Japanese even after that in order to work in Japan when I graduate. (use である with the copula も)

3.私たち一人一人が地球温暖化のせいで危機的な状態ある地球を救うために何かをするけど、具体的にいったい何ができるか、どうすればいいですか?

We all know that it is each of us who can do something to save the earth which is in a state of crisis because of global warming, but in practical terms what should we do then or what can we do?

4.何でも言ったって田中さんが聞かないので、黙っていたの方がいいですよ。人間は同時に二つの事ができないと言われている。

It it better to keep silent, because Mr Tanaka won’t listen to you whatever you say (use たって). It is said that man can’t do two things at once.

5.払いさえすれば何でも女の心も手に入れる人が脱税で先日逮捕された。

The man who boasted that everything can be had, even the heart of women, as long as one pays for it, was arrested the other day for tax fraud. (using さえ)

6.戦前の日本人は降伏するくらいなら死んだほうがましだと言っていたが、今の若者は死ぬくらいなら、降伏したの方がましたと言えば。

The Japanese before the war said better die than surrender, but young people today could say better surrender than die. (using 方がましだand くらいなら)。

7.今朝朝ごはんも食べもしないで仕事に行ったので、おなかがぺくぺくで、昼休憩までたいした仕事ができなかった。朝ごはんを食べないの方がいいと言う医者があるけど、なぜそんなことをすすねるのがわからない。

As this morning I went to work without even eating breakfast, I was extremely hungry and could not do a lot at work until lunch break. There are doctors who claim that it is better not to have breakfast, but I don’t understand at all why they recommend that.

8.人間は食べるために生きるではない生きるために食べているのはと言われているが、世の中にある人が食べるために生きるようにおもえる。

It is often said that man doesn’t live in order to eat, but eats in order to live but in our society there are people who seem to live in order to eat. (use ようにもえる).

9.先日うっかりして田中さんに本当の事を言ったが、それ以来不機嫌だ。言わなければよかったのにと思って後悔する。

Inadvertently I told the truth to Mr Tanaka the other day, but he has been in a bad mood since. I should not have told him et I regret it (Lit.I regret telling myself that, if I had not told him, it would have been good.
caroline

Native language: Français

Re: sadistic grammar translations

Postby AJBryant » Sat 03.29.2008 12:35 pm

You might want to work on the English first. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Sat 03.29.2008 1:36 pm

Well Caroline is French, so some level of errors can be excused.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby caroline » Sat 03.29.2008 2:37 pm

Thanks Richard!

To tell the truth, the sentences are strange enough in french too... there are made up to induce a certain grammar structure in japanese, with a lot of subordinate clauses. I tried to translate them as literally as possible, and certainly made them even worse than they were originally.

But please, do not be deterred from helping me.
caroline

Postby AJBryant » Sat 03.29.2008 3:50 pm

Ah, sorry, Caroline, I missed that you were French.

In that case, I take it back. Ma capacité avec le français... c'est comme une montagne de merde verbale. Une montagne personne ne peut monter, et lequelle ne veut une carte postale. ;)

Man, I wish I'd kept up with my French. Je le parle comme un gibbon qui a eu trop de scotch. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby richvh » Sat 03.29.2008 9:14 pm

caroline wrote:I enclose hereafter some sentences, twisted indeed, who have no other goal than test some grammar points. So they may look strange, even in english.
The sure thing, they are far beyond my abilities... so I would appreciate any input showing me where I have gone wrong, hoping there are not so many mistakes that it will deter good will. I really did my best ( it says much about my inabilities :? )
Thanks in advance

1.田中さんは、楽しそうににわで遊んでいる子供を見た、大事なことを思い出しそうで着替えずに大急ぎで出かけた。

Mr Tanaka, who was, looking happy, watching the children play in the garden, went out in a hurry, without even changing his clothes as if he remembered something important.

楽しそうに binds with the next verb (遊んでいる), so it is the children who are happy looking (or, rather, they are playing in a manner that appears to be happy), not Mr. Tanaka. If you want Tanaka to look happy, it has to be 子供を楽しそうに見て.

2.去年の10月から日本語を習っているのは、今年の夏に学校の研修で日本に行くからでもあって、その後も学校を卒業したら日本に働くのために日本語を勉強しりたいもからです。

If I’m studying japanese since last october, it’s of course because I both will go to Japan the coming summer for the school internship and want to go on studying Japanese even after that in order to work in Japan when I graduate. (use である with the copula も)

Maybe this is better:
昨年の十月から日本語を勉強している理由のは、今年の夏に日本で留学する予定でもあって、卒業した後で日本に働くつもりだから日本語の勉強を続けるつもりだからです。

Ten of these are a bit much to go through in one go.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby caroline » Sun 03.30.2008 4:35 am

AJBryant wrote:Ah, sorry, Caroline, I missed that you were French.

Pas de problème!

Ten of these are a bit much to go through in one go.richvh

I do agree and thank you for the first two. You already gave me some food for thought.
caroline

Postby Garappachi » Sun 03.30.2008 7:05 am

ためしに日本語の文を書いてみました。参考になれば幸いです。
My tries, which are plain/dictionary forms, are mainly based on your japanese sentences. I think you can compare it with your own to fix out better.

1.田中さんは楽しそうに庭で遊んでいる子どもたちを見て、何か大事なことを思い出したかのように着替えもせずに大急ぎで出かけた。
2.去年の十月から日本語を勉強しているのは、もちろん今年の夏に学校の研修で日本に行くためと、その後も学校を卒業したら日本で働く目的で日本語の勉強を続けたいためでもある。
3.世界的な温暖化による危機から地球を救うために出来ることが何かあることは私たち全員が分かっているのだが、さて具体的にいったい何をすべきで、何が出来るのか?
4.-会話スタイル-
黙っていた方がいいよ。というのも、田中さんはあなたが何を言ったって聞こうともしないでしょうから。それに、あの人は二つのことを同時に出来ないと言われているんだから。
5.金さえ払えば(/(金を)払いさえすれば)何でも、たとえ女の気持ちであっても自分のものになると思っていた男が先日、脱税で逮捕された。
6.戦前の日本人は降伏するくらいなら死んだ方がましだと言っていたが、今の若者は死ぬくらいなら降伏した方がましだと言うかもしれない。
7.今朝、朝ごはんを食べもしないで仕事に出かけたので、おなかがペコペコで昼休みまでたいして(/あまり)仕事が出来なかった。朝ごはんを食べない方がよいと言う医者もいるが、なぜそのようなことを薦めるのか分からない。
8.「人は食うために生きるに非ず、生きるために食うのだ」(This phrase will sound archaic. But a proverb fits in with it.)とよく言われるが、世の中には食うために生きているように思える人もいる。
「人は食べるために生きているのではなく、生きるために食べているのだ。」← a plain form.
9.はなまる!!

※ Both 動詞・タ形 and 動詞・連体形 can connect to 方(ほう)and ため directly.
Garappachi

Native language: にほんご

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 03.30.2008 1:48 pm

richvh wrote:
caroline wrote:If I’m studying japanese since last october, it’s of course because I both will go to Japan the coming summer for the school internship and want to go on studying Japanese even after that in order to work in Japan when I graduate. (use である with the copula も)

Maybe this is better:
昨年の十月から日本語を勉強している理由のは、今年の夏に日本で留学する予定でもあって、卒業した後で日本に働くつもりだから日本語の勉強を続けるつもりだからです。

I don't think 理由のは is right here; I would suggest either 理由というのは or just 理由とは. Also if you want to get the "of course" in there just stick in もちろん before 今年. If caroline was hoping for a でも...でも construction, you can change the end of the sentence to つもりでもある.

Also, if you do make the change to というのは, you have to change the end of the sentence to be a noun -- something like つもりであることなんです or something like that.

I'll do one more:

7.今朝朝ごはんも食べもしないで仕事に行ったので、おなかがぺくぺくで、昼休憩までたいした仕事ができなかった。朝ごはんを食べないの方がいいと言う医者があるけど、なぜそんなことをすすねるのがわからない。

As this morning I went to work without even eating breakfast, I was extremely hungry and could not do a lot at work until lunch break. There are doctors who claim that it is better not to have breakfast, but I don’t understand at all why they recommend that.

I would say 朝ごはんを食べもしないで; I don't think the も is necessary in both the verb and the object. ぺこぺこ is the gitaigo you were looking for, I think.

Instead of 医者がある, I think 医者もある is better. It's possible 医者はある would work here as well. (Some people might have concern about the ある but I think it's fine here; the google hits are about equal for 医者もある vs. 医者もいる; this is one of those cases where ある can be used with animate referents because you're talking about them in a rather abstract sense)

すすねる is a typo for すすめる.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby caroline » Sun 03.30.2008 2:53 pm

Thanks, Chris and Garappachi, for your input and for your time
The dilemna 医者もある/医者もいる had completely skipped from my conscious mind...
caroline

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sun 03.30.2008 7:17 pm

Greetings caroline,

3.私たち一人一人が地球温暖化のせいで危機的な状態ある地球を救うために何かをするけど、具体的にいったい何ができるか、どうすればいいですか?

We all know that it is each of us who can do something to save the earth which is in a state of crisis because of global warming, but in practical terms what should we do then or what can we do?

What's the question here?

5.払いさえすれば何でも女の心も手に入れる人が脱税で先日逮捕された。

The man who boasted that everything can be had, even the heart of women, as long as one pays for it, was arrested the other day for tax fraud. (using さえ)

さえ in a conditional clause like that is a common construction, which you seem to get the meaning of with "as long as".

6.戦前の日本人は降伏するくらいなら死んだほうがましだと言っていたが、今の若者は死ぬくらいなら、降伏したの方がましたと言えば。

The Japanese before the war said better die than surrender, but young people today could say better surrender than die. (using 方がましだand くらいなら)。

Probably definition 2 of: 増し 【まし(P); マシ】 (n-suf) (1) more; increase; extra; (adj-na) (2) (esp. マシ) better; less objectionable; preferable; (n) (3) (arch) increase; growth; (P) [Ex][G][GI][S][A]

Is くらい or なら confusing? I think this usage of くらい is the "extent" usage, maybe somewhat like "to do so much as". If なら, coco san's explanation is very insightful.
Gundaetiapo

Postby caroline » Mon 03.31.2008 2:34 pm

G'po,

I translated from french into japanese.... that's why I'm not sure my translation is right. I'm even sure the reverse is true.

What's the question here?

the whole question is : thanks for checking my japanese, as I'm quite sure there are lots of mistakes...

さえ in a conditional clause like that is a common construction, which you seem to get the meaning of with "as long as".

I'm not translating from japanese to english (in that case, my english would be better, I hope : I translated twisted french sentences both in japanese and english, and tried to stay as close as possible to french in english).

I'm sorry my english is so bad it seems to have generated confusion.

But thanks for taking the time to look at it.

And even more thanks for having thought it could be "genuine" japanese. :D
caroline

Postby coco » Mon 03.31.2008 11:06 pm

Carolineさん 
文章を分けて考えると、わかりやすくなりますよ。
:)
caroline wrote:1.田中さんは、楽しそうににわで遊んでいる子供を見た、大事なことを思い出しそう着替えずに大急ぎで出かけた。

Mr Tanaka, who was, looking happy, watching the children play in the garden, went out in a hurry, even changing his clothes as if he remembered something important.

【文法】
(まるで)~かのように
~もせず(に)/~もしないで
NもVずに/NもVないで

【考え方】
・田中さんは、楽しそうに庭で遊んでいる子供を見ていた。
・しかし (突然)、大急ぎで(着替えもしないで) 出ていった。
・まるで、大事なことを急に思い出したかのように。

楽しそうに庭で遊んでいる子供を見ていた田中さんは、突然(何か)大事なことを思い出したかのように、着替えもせず大急ぎで出かけた。
楽しそうに庭で遊んでいる子供を見ていた田中さんは、突然(何か)大事なことを思い出したかのように、服も着替え[ず/ないで]大急ぎで出かけた。
Mr. Tanaka had been watching his children happily playing in his garden, but suddenly he went out in hurry without even getting dressed, as if he just recalled something important.(?)

田中さんは、遊んでいる子供を見て、何かを思い出したかのように大急ぎで出かけた。
As he watched a children playing in the garden, he went out in hurry as if he recalled something important. (This sounds "a children=reminder".)
庭で遊んでいる子供を楽しそうに見ていた田中さんは~
In this case, person who looked happy is Mr.Tanaka, not a child.

2.去年の10月から日本語を習っているのは、今年の夏に学校の研修で日本に行くからでもあって、その後も学校を卒業したら日本に働くために日本語を勉強したいもからです。

【文法】 
~だけでなく、~でもある(?)
【考え方】
・去年の10月から日本語を習っている。
・その理由はふたつある。
・ひとつは、今年の夏に学校の研修で日本にいくから。
・もうひとつは、学校を卒業したら日本で働くつもりだから。
・[(学校の研修で日本に行くこと)と(卒業したら日本で働きたい)]というのが、日本語を習っている理由だ。

去年の10月から日本語を習っているのは、今年の夏に学校の研修制度で日本に行くから(という)だけでなく、卒業したら日本で働きたいからでもあります。
I've been studying Japanese since last October not only for going to Japan this summer as the school internship program, but also because I want to work in Japan when I graduate. (?)
I don't think this example sentence above is very polished for learning でもある usage.

How about this for でもある usage?
田中さんはその会社の重役で[あり/あるとともに] 、有名な書家でもある。
Mr.Tanaka is an executive of the company, (at the same time?) he is also a famous calligrapher.(?)

3.私たち一人一人が地球温暖化のせいで危機的な状態__ある地球を救うために何かをするけど、具体的にいったい何ができるか、どうすればいいですか?

【考え方】
・地球温暖化のせいで地球は危機的な[状況/状態]にあります。
・その地球を救うために(私たち一人一人にも)何かできる(ことがある)と(私たちは)わかっています。
・でも、実際問題として、いったい何をすべきで何ができるのでしょうか?

地球温暖化 [によって/のせいで]危機的な[状況/状態]ある地球を救うため(に)、私たち一人一人に(も)できることがあるのはわかっていますが、[実際問題として/具体的には]、いったい私たちは何をすべきで(あり)、また何ができるのでしょうか。

4.何でも言ったって田中さん聞かないので、黙っていた方がいいですよ。人間は同時に二つの事ができないと言われている

It it better to keep silent, because Mr Tanaka won’t listen to you whatever you say (use たって). It is said that man can’t do two things at once.

【文法】
~たって(口語の「verbても」) (?)
何をしても≒ 何をしたって
何を言っても≒何を言ったって

何を言ったって田中さんは聞かないから、黙っていた方がいいですよ。人間は同時に二つの事ができないと言われていますから
I believe this is a part of conversation, so using ます( in 言われている) form would be better. :)

5.払いさえすれば何でも女の心も手に入__人が脱税で先日逮捕された。

【文法】
~さえ~ば
~でさえ

金を払いさえすれ、女の心でも何でも手に入ると[自慢し/豪語し/うそぶい]ていた人が、先日脱税で逮捕された。
さえ払え、女の心でも何でも手に入ると豪語していた人が先日脱税で逮捕された。

This one, you can use さえ for "as long as" and "even".
as long as one payes for it, everything can be had.
金を払う限り、何でも手にできる。→ 金を払いさえすれば、何でも手にできる。/金さえ払えば、何でも手にできる。

入れる=いれる
入る=はいる

even the heart of women.
女の心(で)さえ(も)

金を払う限り女の心でさえも手に入ると豪語していた人が脱税で先日逮捕された。(you can use~人が 先日脱税で ~as well.)
この人のことを思い出しました。 :wink:

----
6.戦前の日本人は降伏するくらいなら死んだほうがましだと言っていたが、今の若者は死ぬくらいなら、降伏した方がましと言えば

【文法】
~するくらいなら~[する/した] 方が ましだ

今の若者は死ぬくらいなら降伏した方がまし(だ)と言う[かもしれない/だろう]。
This is my problem, but I can't understand English auxiliary verbs. So I'm unsure about the conviction degree of "could" in "could say".

7.今朝朝ごはんも食べもしないで仕事に行ったので、おなかがぺで、昼休憩までたいし仕事ができなかった。朝ごはんを食べない方がいいと言う医者がるけど、なぜそんなことをすするのわからない。

【文法】
NもVないで
NもVずに
NさえVずに

今朝(は)朝ごはんも食べないで会社に行ったので、おなかがペコペコで、[昼休み/昼休憩]までたいして仕事ができなかった。朝ごはんを食べない方がいいと言う医者もいるけど、なぜそんなことをすすめるのかわからない。

I assume this is NもVずに/ないで type grammar.
Like sentence No1.
服も着替え[ずに/ないで]大急ぎで出かけた。
着替えも[せずに/しないで]大急ぎで出かけた。

朝ごはん食べもしないで会社に行った is grammatically correct, but this usage is used like this context.

臭いが嫌いだからと言ってピーマンを食べようとしない子供に、「食べもしないで嫌いだと決めつけるのはよくない」と母親は注意した。
In this case, 食べもしないで has a meaning of 食べようともしないで ( without even showing efforts to eat(?) ). (Remember ようとする discussion?)
Therefore, this 食べもしない could have a nuance of a reproval /accusing expression.
Examples
夫は今朝寝坊したので、私がせっかく作った朝ごはんを食べもしないで会社に行った。
My husband overslept thismorning, and went to work without having breakfast that I prepared for him. ( Oh my! He hadn't shown any interests for it!)
This one has a tone like this face → :x  
夫は今朝寝坊したので、私がせっかく作った朝ごはんも食べずに会社に行った。
This one has a tone like this → :(

Please ask your teacher about the difference in these.
太郎はテレビ消さないで寝てしまった。
太郎はテレビ消さないで寝てしまった。
太郎はテレビ消しもしないで寝てしまった。

I think your sentence don't have any reproving nuance. The speaker describes her/his fact. So I'd like to use 今朝は朝ごはん食べないで仕事に行ったので、おなかがペコペコで~. This is more natural to me.
But there are some way to express "I went to work without even eating breakfast."
朝ごはんも食べないで[会社/仕事]に行った。
朝ごはんも食べずに仕事に行った。
今朝は、食事もせずに仕事に行った。
今朝は、食事もとらずに仕事に行った。
今日(きょう)は朝食すら食べずに仕事に行った。

たいした仕事 is sometimes used as "nice/good" work.
But it seems that you mentioned volume of job, rather than quality. So as Garappach-san shows, たいして/あまり + できなかった would be better, I think.

8.人間は食べるために生きる_ではない生きるために食べているのと言われているが、世の中にある人が食べるために生きるようにおもえる。

It is often said that man doesn’t live in order to eat, but eats in order to live but in our society there are people who seem to live in order to eat. (use ようにもえる).

【文法】
~ように[思える/見える]

人間は食べるために生きるではなく、生きるために食べ(てい)る(のだ)と言われているが、世の中には食べるために生きているように見えるもいる
The proverb shown by Garappach-san is popular one.
An example usage of 思える with useing this is 
「人は食うために生きるに非(あら)ず、生きるために食うのだ」とよく言われるが、あの男は食うために生きて(い)るように(俺には)思える。

9.先日うっかりして田中さんに本当の事を言ったが、それ以来不機嫌だ。言わなければよかったのにと思って後悔する

Inadvertently I told the truth to Mr Tanaka the other day, but he has been in a bad mood since. I should not have told him et I regret it (Lit.I regret telling myself that, if I had not told him, it would have been good.

【文法】
~しなければよかったと思う。
~しなければよかったのに。

先日うっかりして田中さんに本当の事を言ったが、それ以来不機嫌だ。言わなければよかったと思って後悔[している/した]。

~しなければよかったのに is rather used when you express your complaint or regret for something that someone did do.
This is an abbreviation of ~しなければよかったのに[やってしまったね/残念だ]. As you know, this abbreviation is very common.
のに exaple
山田が田中さんに本当の事を言ってしまったが、「言わなければよかったのに…」と僕は山田をたしなめた。
----
この例文を通して田中さんは大忙しですね。 :D
田中さんが不機嫌になった「本当の事」を是非知りたい! (カツラがずれちゃってたのかも)

Carolineさん、よくできていますよ。自信を持ってください。 :)

Last edited by coco on Tue 04.01.2008 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby caroline » Tue 04.01.2008 4:22 pm

ココさん、
ありがとうございます。
You must have spent an awful amount of time to go through all this.
I'm going to look to your invaluable input carefully, but wanted to thank you before doing that (which will take a little time)
caroline

Postby Garappachi » Thu 04.03.2008 7:33 am

coco さん、こんばんは。またまた、ご無沙汰しております。m(_,_)m
Carolineさんの出された例文に対するコンテキストの解釈は、語感にばかり頼って論理的に説明できない私にとっては、なるほどと思うようなことが多く参考になりました(といっても真似は出来ませんが。)。特に2は私にとって赤っ恥。^^; こう言っては失礼ですが、まあ恐らくcocoさんから何らかのフォローがあるだろうことを見越して、叩き台にでもなればいいやぐらいの気持ちで投稿してみました。\(^0^)/

ところで説明されていた中で、一つだけ疑問があります。例文8の「~ように[思える/見える]の用法について」です。
①世の中には食べるために生きているように見える人もいる。
②世の中には食べるために生きているように思える人もいる。
私の理解するところでは、①は実際に話し手/書き手がその人物を目の当たりにして書いた文で、②では実際に話し手/書き手がその人物を目の当たりしたかどうかは別にして(そのようなことを書かれた雑記事でも読んだのかもしれません)、そのような印象を持って書かれた文であるように感じます。
手順を追って、②も言えそうだと感じた過程を書きますと、
まず「見える」「思える」の違いは「あなたは見える。」とは言えても「あなたは思える。」と言えないということだと思います。
次にcocoさんも少し触れられているように「私には見える。」と「私には思える。」は両方とも言えます。
①の文は、「あなたは見える。」の用法のようにも思えますが、「私には見える。」の用法とも受け取ることが可能です。
つまり
①' 世の中には食べるために生きているように私には見える人もいる。
もしこれが正しい文だとすれば(私はこれも正しい文だと思いました。)、
②' 世の中には食べるために生きているように私には思える人もいる。
上の文も正しいことになり、「私には」を省略した②も正しくなります。

私の語感が狂っているのかもしれません。(^^;
Garappachi

Native language: にほんご