Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Discrepancies in Hiragana

Discrepancies in Hiragana

Do you have a translation question?

Discrepancies in Hiragana

Postby yankumi » Sat 08.06.2005 12:39 am

I am just learning Hiragana, and have been reading simple children's books to my daughters for practice. I have noticed several of the kana have slightly different forms. For instance, り in one of the books is written as one stroke connected, rather than two separate ones. And I have seen both さ and き written where the downward curve part is a separate stroke. Is this just different styles because of the brush strokes, or is there some other significance?
yankumi

RE: Discrepancies in Hiragana

Postby mandolin » Sat 08.06.2005 3:30 am

So far as I know, they're just different styles/fonts.

Much the same as say, a script font vs. a system font look very different for roman characters.
mandolin

Postby redfoxer » Sat 08.06.2005 10:36 am

they are indeed just different fonts. Consider them handwriting. everyones handwriting is different but u can still understand what it is written....hmmm maybe a bad analogy...
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby LordDisa » Sat 08.06.2005 12:54 pm

I think the main hiragana character that bugged me in that was was そ. In some texts it's shown as one stroke, while in others it's a really small down-right diagonal stroke on top, followed by a second stroke which starts with the down-left diagonal direction...and sometimes the first stroke would connect to the first part of the second stroke, and sometimes it wouldn't. For now, I've just decided to use the versions that I find easiest to write...and the differences are small enough that they're still understandable.

I think the real fun will be when I get far enough into the written language to have to tell the differences between those kanji that look exactly like kana (ロ, 口, タ, 夕, ニ, 二, etc.).
Last edited by LordDisa on Sat 08.06.2005 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ひらがな: 100% カタカナ: 100%
漢字パート一: 8% 漢字パート二: 0%
文法: 0% 語彙: 0%
LordDisa

Postby aoeuaoeuaoeu » Sat 08.06.2005 1:18 pm

Nootropos wrote:
I think the real fun will be when I get far enough into the written language to have to tell the differences between those kanji that look exactly like kana (ロ, 口, タ, 夕, ニ, 二, etc.).

That's usually not a problem. From the context, it should be clear if the character is kana or kanji... And there are no words with only 1 kana (or very rare?). So, if a character is surrounded by kanas, it's also a kana; if there is no kana around, it's a kanji.
aoeuaoeuaoeu

Postby yankumi » Sat 08.06.2005 5:40 pm

Thank you for all the responses. I figured it was something like different font styles, but just wanted to be sure.
yankumi

Postby sampaguita » Thu 08.11.2005 4:30 am

My teacher told me that you really shouldn't connect the lines, UNLESS YOU ARE USING A BRUSH. I guess that explains the sa, ri, ki, etc. Regarding the "so" with a diagonal line on top instead of a horizontal one, my teacher told me that you should stick to the horizontal line, because the diagonal line is mainly used by females.

Hope that helps.:)

By the way, I have Microsoft Global IME at home, and it has only one font, but I also want to write using other font styles. Where do I get them?
sampaguita

Postby skrhgh3b » Thu 08.11.2005 5:05 am

what you *should* do is find a book or website that shows you the correct stroke order for kana (and kanji) characters and learn how to write them the proper way. when i first started studying japanese years ago, i didn't pay very much attention to how to write characters with the proper stroke orders because, frankly, in english no one cares a flip how you write your letters (handwriting is a very individual thing). but japanese, on the other hand, has incredibly strict rules about these things. to really see a japanese freak out, write any character with a down-to-up stroke. why do they care so much about the exact order of every single stroke for thousands of characters? who knows. but unless you do it their way, your handwriting will always look "gaijin." so you just gotta bite the bullet and worry about countless strokes in addition to countless readings and meanings.... がんばってください!
Last edited by skrhgh3b on Thu 08.11.2005 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
skrhgh3b

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion