Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Bloodred Moon

Bloodred Moon

Do you have a translation question?

Re: Bloodred Moon

Postby Relye » Thu 06.26.2008 5:19 pm

Well, thanks to everyone who tried helping, leaving it at that. Feel free to continue the "mature" conversation.
Relye

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 06.26.2008 10:13 pm

Relye wrote:Feel free to continue the "mature" conversation.

Says the person naming their sword in a language they don't understand? :mrgreen:

If the sword has a name, you can probably find it online if you know the maker and era in which it was forged.
I know very little about named swords, but I would do some research for 名刀 and see what comes up for you.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Wakannai » Thu 06.26.2008 11:29 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
who did you kill for your swords name?

Well there was this really annoying fly. It took a lot of tries but I finally got him in the end.
Wakannai

Postby chikara » Thu 06.26.2008 11:56 pm

Wakannai wrote:Well there was this really annoying fly. It took a lot of tries but I finally got him in the end.

Aren't you supposed to catch it using a pair of chopsticks first?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 06.27.2008 12:08 am

Wakannai wrote:Well there was this really annoying fly. It took a lot of tries but I finally got him in the end.

Well, there's your sword name!
蚊取
蚊取名刀
or
千振蚊取

Edit: Fixed my 香取慎吾. Thanks Becki
Last edited by Harisenbon on Fri 06.27.2008 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harisenbon

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 06.27.2008 12:15 am

Harisenbon wrote:
Well, there's your sword name!

香取名刀
or
千振香取

I think you meant 蚊取, or maybe even 蝿取 :mrgreen:

On a random note: I love the smell of 蚊取り線香. I'm burning some in the living room right now.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Wakannai » Fri 06.27.2008 12:41 am

chikara wrote:

Aren't you supposed to catch it using a pair of chopsticks first?

Darnit! That's right. I should have used chopsticks to hit the fly. Beat the fly to death with chopstics and then catch it. Why didn't I think of that before? If I had used chopsticks more of the furniture and appliances, and maybe the windows, would have survived. And when the fly landed for a moment on my friend's niece, maybe when I hit her with chopsticks it wouldn't have annoyed my friend so much. Ahh well, it was a battle worthy of song. My friend never let me come to his house again, I've no idea why. I mean, my sword had a smiley face and all that so it should have been ok.

Do you believe i should have removed the wrapper first, or is it better to hit the flys with the wrapper still on? Maybe the extra surface area is cheating, like using an over sized racquet in tennis?
Wakannai

Postby chikara » Fri 06.27.2008 1:12 am

Wakannai wrote:Darnit! That's right. I should have used chopsticks to hit the fly. Beat the fly to death with chopstics and then catch it. ......

You don't hit it with the chopsticks you catch it with the chopsticks as you would grab a grain of rice, alla Miyagi-sensei in Karate Kid I .

Once you are holding the fly firmly with the chopsticks it is a simple matter to behead it with your sword. :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 06.27.2008 1:39 am

becki_kanou wrote:I think you meant 蚊取, or maybe even 蝿取 :mrgreen:
On a random note: I love the smell of 蚊取り線香. I'm burning some in the living room right now.

Doh. Either that, or I'm just a huge SMAP fan. ;)

What line of work are you in that you're able to be in your living room at 2:30 in the afternoon, and where do I apply? :mrgreen:
Harisenbon

Postby chikara » Fri 06.27.2008 1:47 am

becki_kanou wrote:.... I love the smell of 蚊取り線香. I'm burning some in the living room right now.

Are mossies such a problem there that you need to burn 蚊取り線香 during the day or is it purely for the fragrance? Here I only need to burn them from just before dusk (but not at this time of the year).
chikara

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 06.27.2008 2:12 am

Harisenbon wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:I think you meant 蚊取, or maybe even 蝿取 :mrgreen:

Doh. Either that, or I'm just a huge SMAP fan. ;)

Actually Shingo was the first thing I thought of when I read that.

What line of work are you in that you're able to be in your living room at 2:30 in the afternoon, and where do I apply? :mrgreen:

I am the owner and sole instructor of my own English school which I run out of my house. I have about 50 students, but with group classes it adds up to slightly less then 40 hours a week so I spend a lot of free time (before lessons, between lessons etc.) on the computer. Being your own boss is great!

chikara wrote:Are mossies such a problem there that you need to burn 蚊取り線香 during the day or is it purely for the fragrance? Here I only need to burn them from just before dusk (but not at this time of the year).

There are lots of skeeters (USAn version of mossies) around, but mainly it's because I leave the door open to get a breeze and so the dog can play in the yard without me having to open the door every time.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Previous

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion