Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Video Game Translation

Video Game Translation

Do you have a translation question?

Video Game Translation

Postby darkenedwing » Sun 08.21.2005 4:55 pm

Hi, Ive been looking all over the internet and I cant find the awnsers, so I figuered this would be a very good place to ask.
I do not know how to write any forms of japanese yet, but I am starting to learn, and I was looking at the screenshots of a few japanese video games and I was wondering:

1. Most of the characters were in katakana or hiragana, do japanese video games use only a mix of katakana and hiragana?

2. Is there any way to tell where one word ends and another starts, because all characters look evenly spaced?

3.in games where text is in a horizontal box(like a RPG) do you read from left to right as in english, or from right to left as in japanese.
darkenedwing

RE: Video Game Translation

Postby battousai » Sun 08.21.2005 6:09 pm

1. Most characters are in Kana because games are aimed towards children thereby avoiding more advanced Kanji and game names/terms are usually foreign.
However, it really depends on the content of the game and the target audience. Any teen level RPG game uses Kanji to the full extent, but even then I've seen furigana used in the dialogue boxes and such for more advanced Kanji.

2. It really is just from context and knowing how to read. If you know what you're reading, you can easily differentiate without spaces. IfItypedlikethishowdoyouknowwhereonestartsandoneends. You do because you know the language.

3. In my experience all games' dialogue boxes have been horizontal and left to right. I'd guess this is done for space more than anything else.
Last edited by battousai on Sun 08.21.2005 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
battousai

Postby Kates » Sun 08.21.2005 10:22 pm

3. Japanese, when written horizontally, is read from left to right, just like English. Whether it's in a video game or not. o_o
Kates

Postby darkenedwing » Mon 08.22.2005 10:21 am

Thankyou, battousai and Kates, your awnser's were very helpful. :D
darkenedwing

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion