Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What's "Hey babe!" in Japanese?!!

What's "Hey babe!" in Japanese?!!

Do you have a translation question?

What's "Hey babe!" in Japanese?!!

Postby tōkai devotee » Fri 11.28.2008 10:25 pm

My son, who is only 5, wants to know how to say "Hey babe!" He keeps asking me, and now I'm curious about it myself. Is there such an expression in Japanese?
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Re: What's "Hey babe!" in Japanese?!!

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 11.28.2008 10:37 pm

よう、彼女! (Although this sounds kind of おやじ-ish to me)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 11.28.2008 10:47 pm

How about; や、そこのお姉さん!
Hubby says: ねーちゃん、ねーちゃん
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Kenitai » Sat 11.29.2008 4:19 am

Been curious myself aswell... (forgot to ask anyway) :D coolz anyway!

still don't get why a husband uses ねーちゃん, to his wife?(or a random girl?) Sorry, been wondering that for quite a while aswel :)
The most addictive and effective way, to read & learn Kanji... Visit Readthekanji.com
Kenitai

Native language: Dutch

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 11.29.2008 4:48 am

Kenitai wrote:still don't get why a husband uses ねーちゃん, to his wife?(or a random girl?) Sorry, been wondering that for quite a while aswel

That was my husband's suggested translation of the phrase, not that he would necessarily use it himself, to me or anyone else.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby richvh » Sat 11.29.2008 7:41 am

I think ねーちゃん is entirely appropriate for a 5 year old boy to use in casual situations, and that was what the original query was about.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby clay » Sat 11.29.2008 8:13 pm

しんちゃん, also a 5 year old uses both よう、彼女! and ねーちゃん :) But perhaps he isn't the best role model for normal 5 year olds...
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby tōkai devotee » Sun 11.30.2008 1:59 am

It's funny you should say that because even before he was born, we gave our son the nickname, しんちゃん! :lol:  He is very cheeky, but I wouldn't want him to be as naughty as しんちゃん.
tōkai devotee

Postby keatonatron » Sun 11.30.2008 4:35 am

Kenitai wrote:still don't get why a husband uses ねーちゃん, to his wife?(or a random girl?) Sorry, been wondering that for quite a while aswel :)

It's just a cultural thing. We (er, they?) use labels for people according to what they look like they could be. A late-teen to late-twenties male is 兄さん, female is 姉さん, 30's to 50's male is おじさん, female is おばさん, anything older and they look like they could be grandparents.

It's just like using "hey bro" in English.

Apparently this custom is a lot stronger in Korea; while in Japanese it's just as common to use the proper names of people you know, in Korea it's more common to call your friends "sister" or "brother". In fact, people often introduce their friends as "sister" or "brother", and it can be hard to distinguish if they really mean a blood relative or just an acquaintance.
keatonatron

Postby gabi in japan » Sat 12.13.2008 3:03 am

tokai devotee wrote:My son, who is only 5, wants to know how to say "Hey babe!" He keeps asking me, and now I'm curious about it myself. Is there such an expression in Japanese?

He shouldn't even be thinking about that stuff right now! I mean, he's only five! :D
日本と日本語が大好き!!!
gabi in japan

Native language: Aussie! (Australian)

Postby tōkai devotee » Sat 12.13.2008 3:09 am

gabi in japan wrote:
tokai devotee wrote:My son, who is only 5, wants to know how to say "Hey babe!" He keeps asking me, and now I'm curious about it myself. Is there such an expression in Japanese?

He shouldn't even be thinking about that stuff right now! I mean, he's only five! :D

Well he may be only five, but he's full of testosterone and he knows a sexy babe when he sees one!! :o
tōkai devotee

Postby gabi in japan » Sat 12.13.2008 3:13 am

tokai devotee wrote:
gabi in japan wrote:

Well he may be only five, but he's full of testosterone and he knows a sexy babe when he sees one!! :o

Ok, way too much tv!
日本と日本語が大好き!!!
gabi in japan

Native language: Aussie! (Australian)

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 12.16.2008 10:42 am

tokai devotee wrote:
gabi in japan wrote:

Errmmm.. at 5 testosterone is not what they are full of.. Nope.. sorry.. Does not compute..
two_heads_talking

Postby chikara » Tue 12.16.2008 9:10 pm

keatonatron wrote:.... It's just like using "hey bro" in English. ....

"hey bro" is English :?

:P

tokai devotee wrote:Well he may be only five, but he's full of testosterone and he knows a sexy babe when he sees one!! :o

A 5 year old is definitely not full of testosterone but they are very good mimics of those around them. :wink:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby tōkai devotee » Tue 12.16.2008 10:09 pm

chikara wrote:A 5 year old is definitely not full of testosterone but they are very good mimics of those around them. :wink:

It may be true that they mimic those around them, but 5 year olds DO have a burst of testosterone. Some recent studies have shown this to be true. I was talking to a lady (a kindergarten teacher) who recently went to a conference about early childhood development and she said that this initial burst of testosterone was discussed there and it explains a lot of the behaviour of boys aged between 4 and 5. They may not be "full" of testosterone, but they certainly have some!
tōkai devotee

Next

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion