Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 侵略(しんりゃく) meaning in context?

侵略(しんりゃく) meaning in context?

Do you have a translation question?

侵略(しんりゃく) meaning in context?

Postby uberscheisse » Thu 12.11.2008 3:17 am

i told a 6th grader "kyotsukute" (not sure of furigana on that one) and she said something to the effect of "yeah, of 侵略"

i looked it up in my dictionary and it said "aggressor".

could it mean something a little more, context wise? i.e. molester, masher, bully? anyone ever heard this before?
uberscheisse

Native language: 英語

Re: 侵略(しんりゃく) meaning in context?

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 12.11.2008 3:43 am

uberscheisse wrote:i told a 6th grader "kyotsukute" (not sure of furigana on that one) and she said something to the effect of "yeah, of 侵略"

could it mean something a little more, context wise? i.e. molester, masher, bully? anyone ever heard this before?

侵略 is "invasion"
I could think of a thousand things she could be referring to in a roundabout ways, but nothing that immediately springs to mind. Perhaps she was referring to you?
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby uberscheisse » Thu 12.11.2008 5:03 am

Harisenbon wrote:
uberscheisse wrote:i told a 6th grader "kyotsukute" (not sure of furigana on that one) and she said something to the effect of "yeah, of 侵略"

侵略 is "invasion"
I could think of a thousand things she could be referring to in a roundabout ways, but nothing that immediately springs to mind. Perhaps she was referring to you?

hahaha
i talked to a couple of teachers and they believe that the student is making an error in japanese. nice kid, but not the brightest.

a few months ago a dude was driving around kidnapping and attempting to sexually assault girls around the 10-14 year old range, so maybe she meant "masher" or "pervert". i'll follow up tomorrow and try to get clarification, because it did make the head teacher's ears perk up when i used it. he's going to talk to her and find out what she meant.
uberscheisse

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 12.11.2008 9:35 am

uberscheisse wrote:I told a 6th grader "kyotsukute" (not sure of furigana on that one)

Just a nitpick, but surely you mean ki wo tsukete? (気をつけて)
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby furrykef » Thu 12.11.2008 9:48 am

Language learning is an amazing process sometimes. I learned 気を付ける just the other day (though I probably came across it here before without really learning it) and now it pops up here... it's not unusual seeing words and phrases you've learned popping out at you, of course, but it seems odd when they pop up so soon after you learn them.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 12.11.2008 11:35 am

It could me more in context.. In fact you've given us little to no context here either.

Is this 6th grader Japanese? How do you know this 6th grader? Why were you saying "Ki wo tsukete" to this 6th grader? All of those questions will allow us to understand what is going on..

Perhaps, a male stranger telling a 6th grade female to "ki wo tsukete" is bothersome to her and she's telling you that you have no business talking to her, let alone telling her to be careful. And so, she says, invader to you.. Just like an American kid might say, "I'm not supposed to talk to strangers.."
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby uberscheisse » Thu 12.11.2008 8:20 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:It could me more in context.. In fact you've given us little to no context here either.

Is this 6th grader Japanese? How do you know this 6th grader? Why were you saying "Ki wo tsukete" to this 6th grader? All of those questions will allow us to understand what is going on..

Perhaps, a male stranger telling a 6th grade female to "ki wo tsukete" is bothersome to her and she's telling you that you have no business talking to her, let alone telling her to be careful. And so, she says, invader to you.. Just like an American kid might say, "I'm not supposed to talk to strangers.."

she's one of my students. the kind of student that comes and talks to me every day. i like her a lot. she's a good kid and i take the time to talk to her as often as she takes the time to talk to me.

as far as i know, and from what i've heard around my school "気を付けて" is a fairly standard thing to say to the kids as they leave the school. in my mind, it means "be careful" i.e. "on your walk home from school, look out for cars, don't pet strange dogs, don't talk to dinosaurs", etc. i hear the other teachers say it, and people say it to me occasionally.

茨城県、鹿島市, in my mind, provides a fair amount of context, and if i'm somewhere in 茨城県、鹿島市, talking to a 6th grader, i'm probably talking to a japanese kid. wouldn't ya say? :wink:
uberscheisse

Postby coco » Thu 12.11.2008 8:33 pm

Please read before posting!
When you write, please write with proper capitalization, punctuation, grammar, and syntax. In short, like a literate adult instead of a text-messaging chimpanzee.

richvh wrote:
uberscheisse wrote:pressing shift is for the help.

I'm sorry, but "we" who use the shift key on a regular basis are not the "help."
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby uberscheisse » Thu 12.11.2008 9:28 pm

Ah, I didn't see that in the FAQ. Will amend in the future.

Or wait, I will amend it in the future. I may as well include subjects and predicates while I'm at it. I didn't take non-native speakers into account. My bad.
uberscheisse

Postby furrykef » Thu 12.11.2008 10:34 pm

Making fun of it really isn't necessary, uberscheisse... >.>
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby AJBryant » Thu 12.11.2008 11:11 pm

Although I have to admit I am more and more beginning to understand the choice of name.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby uberscheisse » Fri 12.12.2008 12:07 am

furrykef wrote:Making fun of it really isn't necessary, uberscheisse... >.>

I'm not making fun of it. Just pointing out "point taken." No rudeness intended, just mirth.
uberscheisse

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 12.12.2008 9:52 am

uberscheisse wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:It could me more in context.. In fact you've given us little to no context here either.

she's one of my students. the kind of student that comes and talks to me every day. i like her a lot. she's a good kid and i take the time to talk to her as often as she takes the time to talk to me.

as far as i know, and from what i've heard around my school "気を付けて" is a fairly standard thing to say to the kids as they leave the school. in my mind, it means "be careful" i.e. "on your walk home from school, look out for cars, don't pet strange dogs, don't talk to dinosaurs", etc. i hear the other teachers say it, and people say it to me occasionally.

茨城県、鹿島市, in my mind, provides a fair amount of context, and if i'm somewhere in 茨城県、鹿島市, talking to a 6th grader, i'm probably talking to a japanese kid. wouldn't ya say? :wink:

You took my questions too personally, I was merely asking in a general sense, to help us understand. And no, just because you are in a Japanese city, it doesn't mean you are exclusively talking to a Japanese kid, you see what I mean? Without telling us these things in the first place, we have to assume things, and to me assumptions are the wrong way to help someone. As you can see, One could assume you are just a freaky dude interested in young girls and your actions are innapropriate, and at the same time, someone else could assume you are a very friendly person, easily confused and with no self esteem, and another person could assume you are just someone that has no clue what they are doing.. You can assume all that and more from your original statement.

From what you mention, I'm sure the kid was just tired of being there.. Or just taking under their breath. Again, I'm assuming because I can't ask the child what was really on their mind..

Too many assumptions for this "former interrogator"
two_heads_talking

Postby uberscheisse » Fri 12.12.2008 12:16 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
You took my questions too personally, I was merely asking in a general sense, to help us understand. And no, just because you are in a Japanese city, it doesn't mean you are exclusively talking to a Japanese kid.

no. i think it's a no brainer. i'm not trying to be hostile or mean here - i really think that if i describe a situation where i say something in (flawed, beginner) in japanese, and i'm receiving answers in japanese that i don't understand (hence the thread/question) that i'm talking to someone who is either 1. japanese or 2. functioning with japanese as their primary language of communication.

am i a jerk for pointing out that it's a no-brainer? spare me.
uberscheisse

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 12.12.2008 1:46 pm

uberscheisse wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
You took my questions too personally, I was merely asking in a general sense, to help us understand. And no, just because you are in a Japanese city, it doesn't mean you are exclusively talking to a Japanese kid.

no. i think it's a no brainer. i'm not trying to be hostile or mean here - i really think that if i describe a situation where i say something in (flawed, beginner) in japanese, and i'm receiving answers in japanese that i don't understand (hence the thread/question) that i'm talking to someone who is either 1. japanese or 2. functioning with japanese as their primary language of communication.

am i a jerk for pointing out that it's a no-brainer? spare me.

I've not accused you of being a jerk.. but to answer your question, no, it wasn't a no-brainer to me. Now, if, in your description, you had said, anything about her being 6th grade, Japanese girl and I missed it, then accept my apologies for overlooking it.
two_heads_talking

Next

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion