Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 侵略(しんりゃく) meaning in context?

侵略(しんりゃく) meaning in context?

Do you have a translation question?

Re: 侵略(しんりゃく) meaning in context?

Postby uberscheisse » Sat 12.13.2008 2:53 pm

Hm, I think you read way too much into the exchange.

"From what you mention, I'm sure the kid was just tired of being there.. Or just taking under their breath."

A strange assumption. I don't think there was anything in my OP that suggested there was anything but a friendly exchange between myself and a student.

I'm acting with the assumption that most people posting here are asking questions that pertain to trying to say things to Japanese people.
uberscheisse

Native language: 英語

Postby richvh » Sat 12.13.2008 3:26 pm

uberscheisse wrote:i told a 6th grader "kyotsukute" (not sure of furigana on that one) and she said something to the effect of "yeah, of 侵略"

i looked it up in my dictionary and it said "aggressor".

could it mean something a little more, context wise? i.e. molester, masher, bully? anyone ever heard this before?

Let's look again at your original post.
1) No indication that you're a JET or equivalent.
2) No indication this was in a classroom situation (you could have met this sixth grader on the street.)
3) In fact, no indication of what your relationship to this 6th grader is, nor in what context the exchange took place.

You're making too many assumptions about what assumptions we can reasonably make about this situation. We don't know you, we don't know where you work or where you live, and you lead off with assuming that we know all of this. In other words, supply more context (and assume less knowledge of your situation on the parts of the people you are querying) if you want meaningful responses.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Oracle » Tue 12.16.2008 4:05 am

richvh wrote:
uberscheisse wrote:i told a 6th grader "kyotsukute" (not sure of furigana on that one) and she said something to the effect of "yeah, of 侵略"

i looked it up in my dictionary and it said "aggressor".

Perhaps you misheard her saying 進学. There's too many variables in the scenario above to really say for sure what she said but 侵略 would be very odd ( unless she was referring to some specific situation at the time which we here obviously don't know anything about )
Oracle

Native language: English

Previous

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion