Write your name in kanji.

Do you have a translation question?
User avatar
keatonatron
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Native language: English
Gender: Male
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Contact:

Re: Write your name in kanji.

Post by keatonatron » Wed 12.17.2008 11:47 am

kentaku_sama wrote:And why grow out of it, what's wrong with a kanji name? Katakana is kind of boring as a foreign name.
Because that's the viewpoint of a beginner to Japanese as a foreign language/culture :)

Japanese people see kanji names all the time, and so to them, foreigner's using katakana is much cooler. (Well, they think names written in native English letters is the coolest, but they can't read most of them very well, so katakana is the best)

Beginner's are still conditioned with the exotic-ness of kanji names, and therefore want one for themselves. Us more experienced folk have absorbed the feelings of the Japanese people around us, and are tired of hearing "Yeah, that's okay I guess... but it's hard to read, and I think your katakana name looks a lot cooler" every time we ask a friend about a kanji name we thought up for ourselves.

somenube
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu 02.28.2008 6:15 pm

Re: Write your name in kanji.

Post by somenube » Thu 12.18.2008 1:58 am

If you want a kanji name so badly, why don't you adopt a Japanese name? For example, 勉 and 千夏. My Japanese teacher gave us Japanese names. I totally agree that (in Japanese) translating a foreign name into katakana is the ONLY way to translate a name. But you do not want a name to be called but rather a nickname, am I right?

User avatar
chikara
Posts: 3577
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male
Location: Australia (SA)
Contact:

Re: Write your name in kanji.

Post by chikara » Thu 12.18.2008 2:26 am

somenube wrote:..... But you do not want a name to be called but rather a nickname, am I right?
If you read the OP's posts I believe you will see that they are trying to come up with kanji that have readings which when combined sounds like their real non-Japanese name. For example;
kentaku_sama wrote:.... 燐地  Is the japanese name of my family.
Lynch= rinchi ......
They are not looking for a nickname or an "adopted" Japanese name.

Personally I just like people to call me

Image
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there

User avatar
furrykef
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Write your name in kanji.

Post by furrykef » Thu 12.18.2008 2:59 am

That's pronounced "Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116", right?
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)

richvh
Posts: 6480
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Write your name in kanji.

Post by richvh » Thu 12.18.2008 7:16 am

I always thought it was pronounced "The artist formerly known as Prince".
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語

User avatar
furrykef
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Write your name in kanji.

Post by furrykef » Thu 12.18.2008 7:28 am

For those who don't get my reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brfxxccxxm ... sqlbb11116 :P
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)

User avatar
hyperconjugated
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri 05.06.2005 5:12 pm
Native language: Finnish
Location: Finland

Re: Write your name in kanji.

Post by hyperconjugated » Thu 12.18.2008 9:29 am

furrykef wrote:For those who don't get my reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brfxxccxxm ... sqlbb11116 :P
Some people should not be allowed to have kids. Another example.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer

User avatar
chikara
Posts: 3577
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male
Location: Australia (SA)
Contact:

Re: Write your name in kanji.

Post by chikara » Thu 12.18.2008 8:15 pm

richvh wrote:I always thought it was pronounced "The artist formerly known as Prince".
That is a very common pronunciation but I prefer "Throatwobbler Mangrove" :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there

User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Native language: English
Gender: Male
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: Write your name in kanji.

Post by AJBryant » Thu 12.18.2008 8:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kentaku_sama
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri 11.21.2008 2:21 am
Native language: English

Re: Write your name in kanji.

Post by kentaku_sama » Fri 12.19.2008 3:37 am

If you want a kanji name so badly, why don't you adopt a Japanese name? For example, 勉 and 千夏. My Japanese teacher gave us Japanese names. I totally agree that (in Japanese) translating a foreign name into katakana is the ONLY way to translate a name. But you do not want a name to be called but rather a nickname, am I right?somenube
Yes, I could just use Kentaku as my nickname as it is already a nickname. :P So you can call me 犬他貢-さま. :lol:

User avatar
becki_kanou
Posts: 3402
Joined: Sat 04.19.2008 10:09 pm
Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語
Gender: Female
Location: Hyogo, Japan
Contact:

Re: Write your name in kanji.

Post by becki_kanou » Fri 12.19.2008 4:34 am

kentaku_sama wrote:Yes, I could just use Kentaku as my nickname as it is already a nickname. :P So you can call me 犬他貢-さま. :lol:
Why not just go with 健太 or some other variation? That's a legit Japanese name and everyone will be able to pronounce it.

BTW Requesting that others call you ◯様 is rather bad form.

edit: fixed a bad quote tag
Last edited by becki_kanou on Fri 12.19.2008 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。

User avatar
keatonatron
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Native language: English
Gender: Male
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Contact:

Re: Write your name in kanji.

Post by keatonatron » Fri 12.19.2008 7:06 am

becki_kanou wrote:BTW Requesting that others call you ◯様 is rather bad form.
When my mom got remarried, she wanted me to keep her surname... but my step-dad also wanted me to take his name, so now I have to introduce myself with "どうも、橋本-佐間です。"

User avatar
becki_kanou
Posts: 3402
Joined: Sat 04.19.2008 10:09 pm
Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語
Gender: Female
Location: Hyogo, Japan
Contact:

Re: Write your name in kanji.

Post by becki_kanou » Fri 12.19.2008 9:18 am

keatonatron wrote:When my mom got remarried, she wanted me to keep her surname... but my step-dad also wanted me to take his name, so now I have to introduce myself with "どうも、橋本-佐間です。"
佐間様ですね。 Could cause some confusion if you ever went to Indonesia.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。

User avatar
two_heads_talking
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: Write your name in kanji.

Post by two_heads_talking » Fri 12.19.2008 10:40 am

keatonatron wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:BTW Requesting that others call you ◯様 is rather bad form.
When my mom got remarried, she wanted me to keep her surname... but my step-dad also wanted me to take his name, so now I have to introduce myself with "どうも、橋本-佐間です。"
My understanding is that without you being adopted by the step- parent, you keep your same surname etc. as that is what you are legally known as. The only way to change it would be by either being adopted or you petitioning the court (which I think you can't do until you are 18, but I assume all this happened when you were older?)

User avatar
becki_kanou
Posts: 3402
Joined: Sat 04.19.2008 10:09 pm
Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語
Gender: Female
Location: Hyogo, Japan
Contact:

Re: Write your name in kanji.

Post by becki_kanou » Fri 12.19.2008 11:46 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
keatonatron wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:BTW Requesting that others call you ◯様 is rather bad form.
When my mom got remarried, she wanted me to keep her surname... but my step-dad also wanted me to take his name, so now I have to introduce myself with "どうも、橋本-佐間です。"
My understanding is that without you being adopted by the step- parent, you keep your same surname etc. as that is what you are legally known as. The only way to change it would be by either being adopted or you petitioning the court (which I think you can't do until you are 18, but I assume all this happened when you were older?)
I think you missed the joke.
Spoiler:
橋本-佐間 = はしもと さま
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。

Post Reply