Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - My humble attempts at translations - Corrections, anyone?

My humble attempts at translations - Corrections, anyone?

Do you have a translation question?

My humble attempts at translations - Corrections, anyone?

Postby EvilSaiDoll » Tue 12.16.2008 10:52 pm

As you can easily tell, I'm new to this. I'm wondering about a few phrases I tried to figure out, doubting that they make much sense. Would somebody mind checking for me, please?

For the first one: "Do you want to die?"
This is what I'm hoping at least resembles it: "おまえを 死にたい か。". Please correct me if I'm wrong. Any suggestions or pointers are very appreciated.

As for the second one, I was trying to get something along the lines of "Welcome back to school." The best I can think of right now is something like "Welcome to school again" which I am assuming is what I've got written here: "再 学校 へ ようこそ。" Again, corrections and suggestions are more than welcome.

ありがとう ございます!
EvilSaiDoll

Re: My humble attempts at translations - Corrections, anyone?

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 12.16.2008 11:09 pm

EvilSaiDoll wrote:As you can easily tell, I'm new to this. I'm wondering about a few phrases I tried to figure out, doubting that they make much sense. Would somebody mind checking for me, please?

For the first one: "Do you want to die?"
This is what I'm hoping at least resembles it: "おまえを 死にたい か。". Please correct me if I'm wrong. Any suggestions or pointers are very appreciated.

What's the context?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby EvilSaiDoll » Tue 12.16.2008 11:14 pm

Thank you for the help; I was debating whether it should be を or が. As for who's saying it to who...I'm not sure how I'd answer that, actually ^^; If I were to reword it, though, It'd go something like: "Do you want me to kill you?" if that helps at all.

EDIT: Not as a "May I", or as a favour, but just almost a "I will kill you" sort of thing. Thanks again.
EvilSaiDoll

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 12.16.2008 11:20 pm

お前は死にてぇのか? Sounds like a Yakuza or some other bad guy. I recommend practicing actual Japanese you can use in real life before trying to do this kind of anime trash-talking.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby EvilSaiDoll » Tue 12.16.2008 11:31 pm

Sorry. Ahh..It's just something I wanted to add to a drawing. I have been trying to learn some things to use in an actual conversation too, but these are solely for a couple sketches in my book. I'm very willing to learn some more japanese for actual conversations, though. I'd like to have someone to practice with, though. Thanks for the help as well. I really do appreciate it.
EvilSaiDoll

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 12.16.2008 11:36 pm

Makes sense! Good luck.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby richvh » Tue 12.16.2008 11:36 pm

Sorry. Ahh..It's just something I wanted to add to a drawing. I have been trying to learn some things to use in an actual conversation too, but these are solely for a couple sketches in my book. I'm very willing to learn some more japanese for actual conversations, though. I'd like to have someone to practice with, though. Thanks for the help as well. I really do appreciate it.

Well, then, how about describing, or even showing, us the picture, so we know the context?

As for the second one, I was trying to get something along the lines of "Welcome back to school." The best I can think of right now is something like "Welcome to school again" which I am assuming is what I've got written here: "再 学校 へ ようこそ。" Again, corrections and suggestions are more than welcome.

再び(ふたたび)or また学校へようこそ; 再(さい) is only used as a prefix.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 12.16.2008 11:39 pm

richvh wrote:

Is the school you're depicting in Japan or in another country? Who is saying this line? I think a Japanese teacher or principal would not say this....
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby EvilSaiDoll » Tue 12.16.2008 11:46 pm

becki_kanou wrote:Makes sense! Good luck.

ガんばります!

richvh wrote:

Well, then, how about describing, or even showing, us the picture, so we know the context?

Okay. Thank you! I remember learning to recognize that kanji only as 'again', but never knew it to be a prefix.

EDIT: To becki_kanouさん, I hope it sound natural for another student to be saying it? Like a せんぱい, maybe? As for country, it doesn't necessarily have to be in a Japanese school. Canadian, American, or any other country for that matter is fine with me.
EvilSaiDoll

Postby keatonatron » Wed 12.17.2008 6:18 am

There really is no "welcome back" phrase in Japanese.

They would most likely say ひさしぶり (similar to "long time no see") or, if directed to a superior, 今年もよろしく(おねがいします) [an extremely hard-to-translate phrase that means something like "please treat me well this year, too"]
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby EvilSaiDoll » Wed 12.17.2008 8:57 pm

Thanks, everyone! This is really good help, all of it :)
EvilSaiDoll

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion