Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Need help/opinion JP users

Need help/opinion JP users

Do you have a translation question?

Re: Need help/opinion JP users

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 12.19.2008 4:37 am

Either one is fine. The only people who will be able to understand it are Japanese death metal fans, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. In fact to a Japanese audience it's much cooler to just write "East-West Brutality" in English anyway.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby keatonatron » Fri 12.19.2008 7:00 am

Darko wrote:東洋西洋

Why not just 東西?
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Darko » Fri 12.19.2008 4:54 pm

keatonatron wrote:

Why not just 東西?

Someone said that just means direction and has nothing to do with countries. becki_kanou I just think it looks more nice and creative in Japanese :/ If my shirt was all in English, I don't think it would be nearly as interesting. Do you agree or disagree?
Darko

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 12.19.2008 5:12 pm

Darko wrote:
keatonatron wrote:

Why not just 東西?

Someone said that just means direction and has nothing to do with countries. becki_kanou I just think it looks more nice and creative in Japanese :/ If my shirt was all in English, I don't think it would be nearly as interesting. Do you agree or disagree?

I'd like to inquire who this "someone" is.. I'm not so sure they are giving you good advice.. :wink:
two_heads_talking

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 12.19.2008 6:40 pm

Darko wrote:
keatonatron wrote:

Why not just 東西?

Depends who the audience is. If the audience is mostly Westerners who don't speak Japanese kanji is cooler, but if the audience is Japanese, English is cooler.

two_heads_talking wrote:I'd like to inquire who this "someone" is.. I'm not so sure they are giving you good advice.

I don't remember who said that specifically, but he asked the same question over at JRef.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Darko » Fri 12.19.2008 8:16 pm

The audience is the death metal fans :) So I guess the Death metal for life will appeal to the Japanese audience and the east-west brutality will appeal more to the Western audience? I think Japanese writing is so interesting, not just the writing, but the culture. To me, when I incorporate the Japanese writing into the shirt, it gives it an artistic look.

I am going to use 東西ブルデス because I enjoy a mix of Kanji and Katakana. I don't need the 洋 beside the east and west, correct? because then it would be too long and looks repetitive, 東洋西洋ブルデス.

The reason this is so important to get right is because, if I sell this shirt and a Japanese native sees it and say, that doesn't even mean anything, I would feel like the biggest idiot. I want to be authentic and not just having Japanese on the shirt for nothing.
Darko

Postby Sairana » Sat 12.20.2008 3:24 am

Darko wrote:Someone recommended this to me イースト.ウェスト ブルデス

Which is better, イースト.ウェスト ブルデス or 東洋西洋ブルデス?

Make sure you use the center dot between the words 'east' and 'west', rather than the english period if you go with the katakana one. You get to it in the IME by hitting the question mark key. イースト・ウェスト ブルデス

IMHO, the kanji is the better route artistically, since it's shorter. Why do you still have 東洋西洋, though, instead of 東西? I know you already said,
Darko wrote:Someone said that just means direction and has nothing to do with countries

but your 'someone' is mistaken...

東西 とうざい (n) East and West; whole country; Orient and Occident
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Darko » Sat 12.20.2008 3:38 am

I am using 東西ブルデス. Sairana can you translates that for me just so I know exactly what it says, and to be sure.

I am guessing its east west brutal death?
Darko

Postby Sairana » Sat 12.20.2008 3:49 am

Darko wrote:I am using 東西ブルデス. Sairana can you translates that for me just so I know exactly what it says, and to be sure.

I'm not sure what a Japanese person would see when they read that if they don't know what brutal death metal is. I would presume that someone in the scene would understand it as "East-West (or Orient-Occident) brutal death metal". But I don't know any Japanese death metal fans to ask. ^_^ Just because "metal" isn't explicitly included in the abbreviation doesn't mean it isn't there in the translation... Japanese like 4-character abbreviations for lots of things.
Sairana

Postby Darko » Sat 12.20.2008 4:11 am

Sairana wrote:
Darko wrote:I am using 東西ブルデス. Sairana can you translates that for me just so I know exactly what it says, and to be sure.

I'm not sure what a Japanese person would see when they read that if they don't know what brutal death metal is. I would presume that someone in the scene would understand it as "East-West (or Orient-Occident) brutal death metal". But I don't know any Japanese death metal fans to ask. ^_^ Just because "metal" isn't explicitly included in the abbreviation doesn't mean it isn't there in the translation... Japanese like 4-character abbreviations for lots of things.

:) I wouldn't expect someone who isn't in the scene to understand it. Thats exactly the thing though, I'm not expecting anyone who isn't into the DM scene to be interested in the shirt. This is made specifically for the underground scene I love for representation.

Thank you Sairana, you're very nice. All is appreciated. I have a question, what would you think it meant Sairana if you seen that.
Darko

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 12.20.2008 10:08 am

It's interesting when a person is so dead set on hearing something, that they completely ignore better information just to hear what they want to hear.. Good luck to you Darko, but next time, just let that "someone" keep telling you the wrong stuff, then ask forum users a question and glom onto the one person who agrees with your "someone" friend..
two_heads_talking

Postby Sairana » Sat 12.20.2008 12:57 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:ask forum users a question and glom onto the one person who agrees with your "someone" friend..

I didn't agree with his someone friend...

Darko wrote:I have a question, what would you think it meant Sairana if you seen that.

I wouldn't have known what it meant prior to this thread. I mean, I'd have gotten the east-west part, but ブルデス was unknown to me (Even in English... heh). Context tells me everything.. on a T-shirt that sports both English and Japanese writing, I would like to think that I would make the connection and think "eastern/western" rather than "east to west [Japan]", but I'd have had to look up the rest.

In short, my Japanese is mediocre, and I can't say if that phrase is GOOD or not. I think it sounds good. No one has said it sounds bad. Artistically, I think the kanji is the better route. At the very least, you're not going to -offend- someone with it (except maybe anti-metalheads? :P ). It's not obscene, and looks nice. Go for it... as long as it isn't a tattoo. :twisted:
Sairana

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 12.20.2008 1:03 pm

Sairana wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:ask forum users a question and glom onto the one person who agrees with your "someone" friend..

I didn't agree with his someone friend...:

then it should be ovious I wasn't talking about you....
two_heads_talking

Postby Darko » Sat 12.20.2008 3:06 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Sairana wrote:

I didn't agree with his someone friend...:

then it should be ovious I wasn't talking about you....

Sorry, its just that no one corrected him. Which is why I came here. I didn't like their attitude to begin with and thought they probably weren't reliable.
Darko

Previous

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion