Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - how can i say......

how can i say......

Do you have a translation question?

how can i say......

Postby Lorenzoschudler » Sat 01.03.2009 7:32 am

Hi everyone!!!

My name is Lorenzo i'm from U.S.
i have been taking for a long time trrying to find out how can i write two words in kanji bbut it's failed on my searching....
then i decided to turn to you as i might see you are professionals on this language.
Please if someone could help me how can i write in Kanji the words: "GOD" and "PEACE"
The reason: i wanna tattoo myself.

Thanks in advance!
Lorenzoschudler

Native language: english

Re: how can i say......

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 01.03.2009 8:19 am

While it certainly is popular these days to get a kanji or hanzi tattoo, I recommend that you think it over, as having a tattoo in a language that you cannot read is arguably rather silly. Also since you (and presumably the tattooist as well) cannot read it, the potential for disastrous mistakes is very high. A little artistic liberty taken by the tattooist can change the meaning entirely and backwards kanji or kanji with missing, or extra strokes are quite common.

That said, if you are absolutely sure you want to get those words, the closest characters are and 平和.
平和 is basically the same as the English "peace", but the nuance of 神 is a bit different from the Western (i.e. Abrahamic) conception of "God".
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby richvh » Sat 01.03.2009 8:30 am

I'd suggest reading through this thread and this site then deciding if you really want to go through with this. That said, 神様 = god/gods (or simply 神, as Becki suggested), 平和 = peace, as you can verify in a dictionary (ignore all further suggestions, as some of the posters tend to get a bit juvenile when people ask about kanji tattoos.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby keatonatron » Sat 01.03.2009 9:23 am

神様 does indeed mean "God", but getting a tattoo of it will kind of look like you are labeling yourself as "I am God" or "I am a god".

If you don't want people to think you are an overly conceited atheist, I would suggest going with 平和 only. :?
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Lorenzoschudler » Sat 01.03.2009 10:57 am

Hi again!!!

I fairly agree with you!!!
These are the reason i turned to you!!! i know that tattoish can make big mistakes..... but i do wanna tatto....
i can change my mind, but i really love japanese tattos and japanese culture.
what u think?

Thanks
Lorenzoschudler

Native language: english

Postby NocturnalOcean » Sat 01.03.2009 1:04 pm

Well all I can add to what the others have said is: Remember if having "peace" or any other word for that matter looks stupid in your own languaged tattooed on your body, it will be equally stupid in another language.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby AJBryant » Sat 01.03.2009 5:58 pm

And if you "love Japanese culture" perhaps you should look into the Japanese view and perception of tattoos and people who have them.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 01.06.2009 10:30 am

Lorenzoschudler wrote:Hi again!!!

I fairly agree with you!!!
These are the reason i turned to you!!! i know that tattoish can make big mistakes..... but i do wanna tatto....
i can change my mind, but i really love japanese tattos and japanese culture.
what u think?

Thanks

Japanese Kanji =/= (does not equal) Japanese tattoos. In fact Japanese tattoos are something completely different and much more involved than some Kanji on your arm. Perhaps, you should do more research on Japanese tattoos and Japanese culture, as you will soon realize they are involved and not quite so simple to seperate.
two_heads_talking

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion