Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ~泣きたくなりました

~泣きたくなりました

Do you have a translation question?

~泣きたくなりました

Postby space_bubble » Mon 01.05.2009 7:37 am

The following passage is from my textbook exercises:
シンさんを映画に誘いましたが、Eメールでシンさんに断られました。それで、泣きたくなりました

I do understand that Ms. Shin declined the writer's movie invitation by e-mail (which adversely affected him). However, the underlined phrase is not completely clear. Does the writer mean that (due to the adverse response) he "got weepy," or does he mean that he "wanted to cry"?

My understanding at this point is that it would be the latter, under the assumption that 泣きたく is the ~たい adjective derived from 泣く.

A literal reading of 「泣きたくなりました」is something like "became wanting to cry," and a newer student without much experience--like myself--can be confused by a phrase that sounds so awkward in English, and so whether right or wrong might otherwise tend to translate "I wanted to cry" as 「泣きたかったです」.

Hopefully my post hasn't been to verbose. My question ultimately is whether 泣きたくなりました means "I wanted to cry"?

ありがとうございます。
space_bubble

Native language: 英語

Re: ~泣きたくなりました

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 01.05.2009 7:53 am

Yup! It means "I wanted to cry". As you mentioned「泣きたかった」 would also be fine here.

Don't worry too much about literal translations into English, a lot of the time they're going to sound really funny and awkward. Just try to concentrate on what sounds natural in Japanese, (i.e. what patterns you come across most frequently ) and try to incorporate them into your own speech as much is possible for your level.

Just a small note in case no one has mentioned it yet. You can't say ありがとうございむす until your question is answered. Since you won't receive help until after you post, in this case お願いします is probably more natural.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby space_bubble » Mon 01.05.2009 8:12 am

becki_kanou wrote:Yup! It means "I wanted to cry". As you mentioned「泣きたかった」 would also be fine here.

Don't worry too much about literal translations into English, a lot of the time they're going to sound really funny and awkward. Just try to concentrate on what sounds natural in Japanese, (i.e. what patterns you come across most frequently ) and try to incorporate them into your own speech as much is possible for your level.

Just a small note in case no one has mentioned it yet. You can't say ありがとうございむす until your question is answered. Since you won't receive help until after you post, in this case お願いします is probably more natural.

I do tend to excogitate here and there, and I will keep in mind your advice against overworrying about literal English translations.

:shock: As for お願いします, that's really excellent to know. With that, I won't look like such a newb in the future. Thanks for that clarification.
space_bubble

Postby Richard88 » Tue 01.06.2009 2:25 am

" ...under the assumption that 泣きたく is the ~たい adjective derived from 泣く."

泣きたく is the adverb form of 泣きたい, and modifies the following verb なりました.

It is not something that translates directly into English. Similar expressions are

多くなりました。 increased in number
重くなりました。 became heavy
つまらなくなりました。 became boring
冷たいビールがほしくなりました。 started to thirst for a cold beer
静かになりました。 became quiet
Richard88

Native language: English

Postby space_bubble » Tue 01.06.2009 11:21 am

Richard88 wrote:
It is not something that translates directly into English. Similar expressions are

多くなりました。 increased in number
重くなりました。 became heavy
つまらなくなりました。 became boring
冷たいビールがほしくなりました。 started to thirst for a cold beer
静かになりました。 became quiet
I appreciate the added info there. That particular ~泣きたくなりました phrase was the first one I had ever encountered of that nature, i.e., ~なる being used with ~たい / ~たく. My questions about it have been clarified in this forum now.
~なる phrases that don't readily translate literally into English will just take a bit of time for me to get used to.
:shock: They're not at all intimidating, but they're quite interesting.
space_bubble

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion