Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Question about ー

Question about ー

Do you have a translation question?

Question about ー

Postby Totakeke423 » Fri 01.09.2009 9:58 pm

I've been studying Japanese (albeit off and on) for a while now, but I can't remember ever encountering this. I just purchased the Japanese version of Animal Crossing, おいでよどうぶつの森, and I've encountered something in the text. It's in the sentence "あとどけものでーす," and my question is, what is that little dash after the で? I've seen it before, but I don't remember what it's for.

Thanks for the help. (By the way, what does that sentence mean? It should be something along the lines of, "Delivery!" or "I have a delivery!" I should've mentioned I own the American Animal Crossing as well.)
Totakeke423

Native language: English

Re: Question about ー

Postby Sairana » Fri 01.09.2009 10:03 pm

It just elongates a sound.

As in... DEEEEEEESU!
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Totakeke423 » Fri 01.09.2009 10:11 pm

I see, that's interesting. Thanks. That's also why I purchased the game, because I like video games and how better to learn Japanese from fluent Japanese speakers than through a video game lol?

So it doesn't double the vowel, it just makes the sound longer?
Totakeke423

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 01.09.2009 10:27 pm

it just indicates that the sound is being held longer, or said in an exaggerated style. Also that probably should be とどけものでーす!
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 01.09.2009 10:35 pm

Totakeke423 wrote:So it doesn't double the vowel, it just makes the sound longer?

What's the difference?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Totakeke423 » Fri 01.09.2009 10:56 pm

What's the difference?

I thought if it was meant to be long or held longer then it would be "でえす."

Oh, and I translated it myself (I think lol). I used WWWJDIC and "todokemo" translates into something along the lines of "article to be delivered," which seemed to fit. So does it mean (roughly), "It's a delivery"? I'm also guessing the "o" at the beginning is the polite "o" that comes before some nouns?
Totakeke423

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 01.09.2009 11:42 pm

Totakeke423 wrote:Oh, and I translated it myself (I think lol). I used WWWJDIC and "todokemo" translates into something along the lines of "article to be delivered," which seemed to fit. So does it mean (roughly), "It's a delivery"? I'm also guessing the "o" at the beginning is the polite "o" that comes before some nouns?

Correct and correct.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 01.10.2009 12:10 am

Totakeke423 wrote:
What's the difference?

I thought if it was meant to be long or held longer then it would be "でえす."

There's no difference between でえす and でーす; in practice, でえす does not exist. (My question was sort of rhetorical, a doubled vowel and having the sound longer are the same thing.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Totakeke423 » Sat 01.10.2009 12:21 am

There's no difference between でえす and でーす; in practice, でえす does not exist. (My question was sort of rhetorical, a doubled vowel and having the sound longer are the same thing.)

Heh, I guess I was kind of redundant. Yeah, kind of figured it was rhetorical, but I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my question. I knew I was kind of stating the same thing, but didn't notice at the time. So why don't they just use ー instead of doubling the vowel, such as どーも instead of どうも?
Last edited by Totakeke423 on Sat 01.10.2009 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Totakeke423

Postby Sairana » Sat 01.10.2009 12:25 am

Totakeke423 wrote:

Heh, I guess I was kind of redundant. Yeah, kind of required it was rhetorical, but I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my question. I knew I was kind of stating the same thing, but didn't notice at the time. So why don't they just use ー instead of doubling the vowel, such as どーも instead of どうも?

Too much thinking in English for you.

Imagine you don't know any English. ど is just ど, not the equivalent of 'd+o'.

The ー character here isn't actually part of the word. The word is です. He's drawing it out cutely. Think "sing-song", or of a bouncy, hyperactive girl going "deeeesu!"
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 01.10.2009 12:26 am

Just convention. ー is mostly associated with katakana, and only shows up with hiragana in very casual writing, almost always in representations of casual speech in things like manga. I think maybe your question did make sense; the ー only shows a lengthening of the sound and not actually a *lexical* vowel doubling.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Totakeke423 » Sat 01.10.2009 12:48 am

I think maybe your question did make sense; the ー only shows a lengthening of the sound and not actually a *lexical* vowel doubling.

That's what I meant exactly. I knew it doubled the sound, but wondered why it didn't change the meaning or spelling, like a regular vowel doubling would.

The ー character here isn't actually part of the word. The word is です. He's drawing it out cutely. Think "sing-song", or of a bouncy, hyperactive girl going "deeeesu!"

Nice way of explaining it. :lol:

Thanks for all the help.
Totakeke423

Postby Totakeke423 » Sun 01.11.2009 3:52 am

Just an update. I actually ran into "どーも" today in the game lol.
Totakeke423

Postby NocturnalOcean » Sun 01.11.2009 8:53 am

Totakeke423 wrote:

Heh, I guess I was kind of redundant. Yeah, kind of figured it was rhetorical, but I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my question. I knew I was kind of stating the same thing, but didn't notice at the time. So why don't they just use ー instead of doubling the vowel, such as どーも instead of どうも?

In fact sounds with OU aren't always just OO. I often hear the U sound pronounced alot in such words, rather than just a prolonged vowel.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion