Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Translation Anti-Gaijin Message

Translation Anti-Gaijin Message

Do you have a translation question?

Translation Anti-Gaijin Message

Postby Salza600 » Sun 01.11.2009 5:56 pm

http://www.zdwonline.de/?page_id=314&picture_id=1304

Here is a picture of a board in front of a sushi bar in Japan. I found it while browsing tofugu. I'm not that proficient in japanese yet but if someone could translate the board for me it would clear some points up for me about anti-gaijin sentiment in Japan.

Thank you very much :)
南無阿弥陀仏!
Salza600

Re: Translation Anti-Gaijin Message

Postby richvh » Sun 01.11.2009 6:07 pm

A higher res picture would be nice, so we don't have to strain our eyes to make out the characters.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 01.11.2009 6:08 pm

The Japanese part of the sign doesn't say anything anti-gaijin or anti foreigner; it doesn't even repeat the English part.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Salza600 » Sun 01.11.2009 6:15 pm

richvh wrote:A higher res picture would be nice, so we don't have to strain our eyes to make out the characters.

sorry thats the highest I got

Yudan Taiteki wrote:The Japanese part of the sign doesn't say anything anti-gaijin or anti foreigner; it doesn't even repeat the English part.

Could you please at least give me the main idea of what it says?
南無阿弥陀仏!
Salza600

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 01.11.2009 6:59 pm

It's just various rules about ordering, seating, size of parties, etc. Nothing unusual or worth spending time translating since you can't even go in that restaurant if you can't read the sign.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 01.11.2009 9:12 pm

The first part says that they even refuse service to Japanese people who don't understand and go along with the rest of the crap written on the sign.

You have to understand that there is a phenomenon in Japanese eateries where it is considered extremely cool if the owner is a complete hardheaded king-sized a$$hole and some customers will flock there to be abused based on the silly notion that the guy is some sort of Ninja Master of the culinary arts and therefore accepts no sass nor indeed any feedback other than grovelling worship from his customers. Some go so far as to not even allow customers to order their own food, instead serving the customer what he thinks they ought to have based on how he thinks they look.

Japanese go in knowing they're going to be abused, don't mind it, and in fact consider it part of the dining experience and feel somehow "special" for having gotten in and getting the chance to kiss the Master's a$$. Foreigners, quite naturally, aren't going to expect any such thing and aren't likely to enjoy the sort of treatment dished out. He's actually doing them a favor by not letting them in the door, as odd as that may sound.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 01.11.2009 9:20 pm

Mike Cash wrote:Foreigners, quite naturally, aren't going to expect any such thing

I've heard foreigners say things like "you know it's going to be an awesome restaurant when you're not allowed to order, you just get served stuff" or brag that they go to some restaurant where the guy is a bitch to you for the first 5 years you go there, etc. It's just more penis comparison, I think.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Salza600 » Sun 01.11.2009 11:47 pm

Haha okay thanks much for the detailed reply. I think I understand a bit better now :lol:
南無阿弥陀仏!
Salza600

Postby Haf » Mon 01.12.2009 2:44 am

A higher res picture would be nice, so we don't have to strain our eyes to make out the characters.

I am the owner of the photograph, I could provide a higher resolution version of the picture, but I guess, it's not needed anymore.

The picture was taken at the tsukiji fish market, at the area with all the small sushi restaurants.

While most other sushi places had quite long waiting queues, this particular place didn't have a queue, if I remember correctly, or at least not a long one.
Haf

Native language: German

Postby coco » Mon 01.12.2009 7:40 am

●座席数の少ないお店ですので、"2名様以上の団体様" は別々にお座りになられる事をお願いいたします。

:shock:  2名様以上の団体様!
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby chikara » Mon 01.12.2009 6:35 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:I've heard foreigners say things like "you know it's going to be an awesome restaurant when you're not allowed to order, you just get served stuff" ......

I have been to a number of top restaurants and simply eaten what the chef has put in front of me. Some times I have know in advance what I am likely to be served (a degustation menu) but other times it has been a complete mystery. On none of these occasions has the chef been abusive though.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Gundaetiapo » Mon 01.12.2009 10:04 pm

coco wrote:

:lol: ということは、一人だけお食事をすること?
Gundaetiapo

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 01.13.2009 9:07 am

Gundaetiapo wrote:
coco wrote:

:lol: ということは、一人だけお食事をすること?

A 団体 is always 2名様以上.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby coco » Tue 01.13.2009 9:46 am

Gundaetiapo wrote::lol: ということは、一人だけ食事をするということ?

そのようですね。 変わった店です。 :lol:
Although I love fish dishes very much, I don't think I will have any chance to go there unless that restaurant would become the last place providing sushi in entire Tokyo.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Fluffgar » Fri 01.23.2009 1:59 pm

I don't see the sort of restaurant that treats its customers badly going down very well with anyone from my country. Most people from here would tell them very forthrightly where they could shove their food and would probably help them do so.

Also, there's no way anyone here would ever get away with putting a sign up saying, "Scots Only". They would be in serious legal trouble if they did.

That said, and while I don't have a lot of experience to rely on, I don't think this cultural curiosity should be taken as a reflection on all Japanese people.
Fluffgar

Native language: English(UK) 日本語

Next

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion