Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Translation Anti-Gaijin Message

Translation Anti-Gaijin Message

Do you have a translation question?

Re: Translation Anti-Gaijin Message

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 01.23.2009 2:43 pm

Fluffgar wrote:

That said, and while I don't have a lot of experience to rely on, I don't think this cultural curiosity should be taken as a reflection on all Japanese people.

It isn't, it's a popular elitist theme that some restaurants use to garner more business and oddly enough, it works very well in Japan.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby furrykef » Fri 01.23.2009 9:03 pm

Fluffgar wrote:I don't see the sort of restaurant that treats its customers badly going down very well with anyone from my country. Most people from here would tell them very forthrightly where they could shove their food and would probably help them do so.

I think that's true of most countries. :) Then again, Seinfeld's Soup Nazi is based on a real person (who, naturally, hates being called the Soup Nazi and will refuse service if you call him that), so maybe not entirely true here.

Then again, Seinfeld does take place in New York City, where abuse is probably a way of life or something.

Fluffgar wrote:Also, there's no way anyone here would ever get away with putting a sign up saying, "Scots Only". They would be in serious legal trouble if they did.

It's illegal in Japan, too... they just get away with it more often. I hear it's still not all that common for it to happen, though, and such cases tend to become known on the internet because people like Debito Arudou publicize them... which I don't think is a bad thing, though many people have mixed feelings (or worse) about that particular guy on the whole.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby john2 » Tue 02.03.2009 10:27 am

Spoiler:
Oo… not so sure where I stand on it to much… I mean requiring someone to speak japanese to enter doesn't seam unfair at all, if you mea not allowing in foreigners wel— Ah if theirs a place that let’s foreigners in just beside it go their, despite what about the rule of thumb that you go the places that have a decent number of customers. it seams empty.
Last edited by john2 on Sat 04.24.2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
john2

Postby AJBryant » Tue 02.03.2009 11:44 am

John.

OW.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 02.03.2009 12:20 pm

gachunk.. huh?
two_heads_talking