Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Help is Appreciated

Help is Appreciated

Do you have a translation question?

Help is Appreciated

Postby Arc432 » Sun 02.01.2009 2:40 am

Hey everyone! I've been trying to translate these couple of sentences for awhile now, and I'm not sure about how to go about forming a sentence for a couple of em. Here is what I have. I know it doesn't seem like much but to tell you the truth I've only been at the language for a semester, and I'm kinda rusty after the long break. Anyway, below is what I have to translate and what I have done for it. If you can help me with the grammar that would be great. Thanks for the help, if any.

1) This is a picture of my computer.
1) Kore wa shyashin wo konpyuta desu.

2) Over the winter break I went on my computer since there was nothing else to do.
(I have no idea how to even go about this one, sorry. )
2)

3) It is black.
3) Kuroi desu.

4) It has a large screen.
4) Konpyuta wa gamen o motte imasu.

5) My computer monitor is on top of the table but my computer tower is on the floor.
5) Watashi no gamen ga teburu no ue ni arimasu demo watashi no konpyuta ga teburu no shita ni arimasu.

6) I played games on my computer.
6) Watashi wa shiai o shimasu
Arc432

Re: Help is Appreciated

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 02.01.2009 10:05 am

Arc432 wrote:Hey everyone! I've been trying to translate these couple of sentences for awhile now, and I'm not sure about how to go about forming a sentence for a couple of em. Here is what I have. I know it doesn't seem like much but to tell you the truth I've only been at the language for a semester, and I'm kinda rusty after the long break. Anyway, below is what I have to translate and what I have done for it. If you can help me with the grammar that would be great. Thanks for the help, if any.

1) This is a picture of my computer.
1) Kore wa shyashin wo konpyuta desu.

Use the particle "no" instead of "wo" here, and you may want to review the word order for "no".

2) Over the winter break I went on my computer since there was nothing else to do.
(I have no idea how to even go about this one, sorry. )
2)

I suggest that if you can't even make an attempt, try for something simpler.

4) It has a large screen.
4) Konpyuta wa gamen o motte imasu.

You should use "monitaa" (monitor) here, and "motte imasu" tends to be used only with animate subjects, so you want "ga arimasu" instead of "o motte imasu".

5) My computer monitor is on top of the table but my computer tower is on the floor.
5) Watashi no gamen ga teburu no ue ni arimasu demo watashi no konpyuta ga teburu no shita ni arimasu.

You don't need either "watashi" here. "demo" cannot be used mid-sentence; change that to "kedo".

6) I played games on my computer.
6) Watashi wa shiai o shimasu

Computer or video games are "geemu" in Japanese.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Re: Help is Appreciated

Postby Arc432 » Sun 02.01.2009 4:36 pm

Thanks a lot. You really helped me out.
Arc432

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion