Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Writing a Letter for class {translation}

Writing a Letter for class {translation}

Do you have a translation question?

Writing a Letter for class {translation}

Postby Ojoouf » Wed 02.18.2009 9:35 pm

How are you doing, Mr. Takeshi? The weather here in Tokyo is very cold. How is the weather in Tennessee? I am living with a family close to Tokyo University. For the upcoming winter holiday I scheduled to travel form Tokyo to Osaka on December 15 by the bullet train and then on December 19, take a flight form Osaka to Seoul. I will be returning to Tokyo on December 21. I have already booked the tickets for the trip to Osaka but will be making the reservation for the Seoul trip today. When will you be returning to Japan? I am forward to meeting you.

Sincerly,
xxxxx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I have so far? Sorry its in roma-ji if thats a problem I can change.

Genki desu ka, Takeshi-san. Koko ni tokyo tenki de totemo samui imasu. Tenki ni Tennessee doko imasuka.

I get stuck after that.
Ojoouf

Re: Writing a Letter for class {translation}

Postby richvh » Wed 02.18.2009 9:55 pm

Genki desu ka, Takeshi-san. Koko ni tokyo tenki de totemo samui imasu. Tenki ni Tennessee doko imasuka.

武さん、お元気ですか。東京には天気はとても寒いです。テネシーには天気はどうですか。
Takeshi-san, ogenki desu ka. Tokyo ni wa tenki wa totemo samui desu. Teneshii ni wa tenki wa dou desu ka.

I get stuck after that.

You've already embarrassed yourself, so why stop there?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Sairana » Wed 02.18.2009 10:07 pm

richvh wrote:You've already embarrassed yourself, so why stop there?

Ouch, rich! :( Be nice to the noob, he's not the first one to come along and attempt things far over his head.

That said... if you're supposed to be able to write such complex things in your class, then you should probably tell your teacher you're not ready. If your class IS for beginners, then you should not focus on writing a letter in English first then translating it, but instead write the letter from the start in Japanese with what grammar and vocabulary you already know.

Since it's for a class, you should be showing your teacher that you have understood what you have already been taught. Don't try to push your limits so hard.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Ojoouf » Wed 02.18.2009 10:16 pm

Well im a girl.... and I tried to finish the most of it....

watashi wa ima toudai atarino kazoku to sunde imasu . kono fuyuyasumi no 12 gatsu no 15 nichi ni shinkansen de oosaka he iku yotei desu .4 nichigo no 19 nichi ni souru he iki masu . 12 gatsu no 21 nichi ni modoru arakajimetei desu . oosaka made no kippu no yoyaku hamoushimashita ga , souru he no yoyaku wa kyou shimasu .anata wa itsu nippon he modora reru no desu ka

is this remotely right?

I am in the last lesson of Intermediate Japanese II. Thank you for the help you did help with with.

Questions:
Why is it? "Tokyo ni wa"
Also why is it desu instead of Imasu.
Ojoouf

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 02.18.2009 11:10 pm

Sairana wrote:
richvh wrote:You've already embarrassed yourself, so why stop there?

Ouch, rich! :( Be nice to the noob, he's not the first one to come along and attempt things far over his head..

That came off as really mean but I don't think it was richvh's intent -- I think he was saying "You've already posted a little of your Japanese, so it's not going to be that much more embarrassing to post more of your Japanese."
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Wed 02.18.2009 11:41 pm

watashi wa ima toudai atarino kazoku to sunde imasu . kono fuyuyasumi no 12 gatsu no 15 nichi ni shinkansen de oosaka he iku yotei desu .4 nichigo no 19 nichi ni souru he iki masu . 12 gatsu no 21 nichi ni modoru arakajimetei desu . oosaka made no kippu no yoyaku hamoushimashita ga , souru he no yoyaku wa kyou shimasu .anata wa itsu nippon he modora reru no desu ka

is this remotely right?

Well, it's much better than the line you did.
私は今、東大の辺りの家族と住んでいます。この冬休み、12月15日に新幹線で大阪へ行く予定です。19日、ソールへ飛行機で行きます。12月21日に東京へ戻ります。大阪までの切符の予約はもうしましたが、今日はソールへの予約をするつもりです。武さんはいつ日本へ戻るのですか。
Watashi wa ima, Toudai no atari no kazoku to sunde imasu. Kono fuyuyasumi, 12gatsu 15nichi ni shinkansen de Oosaka e iku yotei desu. 19nichi, sooru e hikouki de ikimasu. 12gatsu 21nichi ni Toukyou e modorimasu. Oosaka made no kippu no yoyaku wa mou shimasita ga, kyou wa sooru e no yoyaku o suru tumori desu. Takeshi-san wa itsu nihon e modoru no desu ka.

Questions:
Why is it? "Tokyo ni wa"
Also why is it desu instead of Imasu.

I may be wrong and the "ni" isn't needed in those two sentences (I await correction here myself, I'm starting to think it should only be "Tokyo wa" and "Teneshii no tenki wa".)

As for why imasu should be used there, iru is only used for indicating the existence of animate objects (mostly people and animals). Weather doesn't fall into the category of animate objects, and it's existence isn't in question, just its state. Moreover, "desu" is used after adjectives (like "samui") as a politeness marker.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Ojoouf » Thu 02.19.2009 12:24 am

Thank You for your efforts and explaining.
Ojoouf

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion