Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Can someone be my translator?

Can someone be my translator?

Do you have a translation question?

Can someone be my translator?

Postby Sumisu » Thu 02.19.2009 3:01 am

I booked a ryokan and sent them an email with my food preference. In return I got a really weird email back that doesn't make any sense, I think they may have used babelfish or some other online translator. I think they are trying to ask me to book more nights, or change the night I have booked, but I definitely don't want to do that.
They said:
Is the chang of the days never possible?
For example , it is from 6th until 9 th. or from 7th until 9th.
If you can not able to chang the days, would you mind teach to us ,please.

I would like to send them an email in Japanese saying something like:
Sorry, but I didn't understand your english. Can you say that over again in Japanese? I have a translator.

Then, once they have responded in Japanese, I'll need some help deciphering that and a reply made.

Can someone help? I can get as far as: sumimasen, wakarimasen. :)
Sumisu

Re: Can someone be my translator?

Postby spin13 » Thu 02.19.2009 3:35 am

How much are you paying?
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Thu 02.19.2009 6:02 am

"Is it possible for you to change days? For example, stay from the 6th to the 9th or maybe the 7th to the 9th. If you can't change days, please let us know."

Seems pretty straight forward... at least it would be if we knew what days you originally signed up for.
keatonatron

Postby coco » Thu 02.19.2009 9:38 am

My English is no better than they are, but I'd like to say it is very uncommon that a Ryokan asks a guest to change the dates of reservation without a reasonable excuse.

They might have misunderstood something.
It appears that they sent you the reply which they should have sent to someone else.
Did they mention your food preference?
Did the reply from the Ryokan address your name correctly?
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Sumisu » Thu 02.19.2009 1:57 pm

Yes, they misunderstood. They think I am trying to book a room (or change the date?), and I wanted to make them understand that I already have a room booked with them. All I told them was "I have a room booked for april 6, and here is my food preference." They are totally booked on april 6, i grabbed the last room. It would appear that they haven't put 2 and 2 together and think I'm a new person asking if any rooms are avail on april 6, and it looks like they are trying to say there aren't, but then why did they put "6th until 9th"
well i am sick of trying to explain. I think I'm just going to ignore the email and just deal with whatever food I get.
Sumisu

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 02.19.2009 3:15 pm

Sumisu wrote:Yes, they misunderstood. They think I am trying to book a room (or change the date?), and I wanted to make them understand that I already have a room booked with them. All I told them was "I have a room booked for april 6, and here is my food preference." They are totally booked on april 6, i grabbed the last room. It would appear that they haven't put 2 and 2 together and think I'm a new person asking if any rooms are avail on april 6, and it looks like they are trying to say there aren't, but then why did they put "6th until 9th"
well i am sick of trying to explain. I think I'm just going to ignore the email and just deal with whatever food I get.

That's one way to deal with it.. Just stick your head in the sand.

Most people don't just translate things for free, particularly for strangers, and especially on these forums.

Maybe you can post up the entire thing and some people could tell you what is being asked.. ?? Or perhaps the sand is nice.....
two_heads_talking

Postby coco » Thu 02.19.2009 8:46 pm

It is obvious that their English speaking ability is much lower than their writing. It means no one there can speak English. So even if you can get someone who translates their replies, your stay at that Ryokan might not be comfortable. Aside from their English, their service is also poor enough. I don't think they will care about your food preference.

If I were you, I would find other accommodation and would cancel the reservation I made at the Ryokan.

Do you have any specific reason you have to stay there?
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion