Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Names??

Names??

Do you have a translation question?

Names??

Postby lindsey » Mon 02.23.2009 9:54 pm

Alright so I'm still new to the Japanese language and have a few questions about foreign names. My first name for exaple, is spelled the same as my member name (so just Lindsey) and I've always been wondering how to even write that in Japanese. Do I change my name around, or do I just write it in romanji? Also just a thought, will the Japanese locals be able to pronounce it?

I really don't know much about the topic, so if someone could clear that up for me it would be awesome. :)

Arigatou!
lindsey

Re: Names??

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 02.23.2009 9:57 pm

Most people just opt for the katakana which best approximates their name. Lindsey would be リンジー.

As to people being able to pronounce it, most Japanese will not be able to pronounce Lindsey but they'll have no trouble with リンジー. Don't feel too bad though, everyone gets their name butchered when they go to a foreign country.

Just a small note; it's romaji or sometimes roumaji but never romaNji. :D
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby keatonatron » Tue 02.24.2009 4:26 am

becki_kanou wrote:but never romaNji. :D

It is when you're an old-timer saying ローマの字 :lol:
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 02.24.2009 9:12 am

keatonatron wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:but never romaNji. :D

It is when you're an old-timer saying ローマの字 :lol:

Since when is ro-ma no ji the same as romanji? I suppose if you doing the standard no becomes n (similar to no desu becoming n desu..

:mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Tue 02.24.2009 9:45 am

two_heads_talking wrote:Since when is ro-ma no ji the same as romanji?

Since when is 僕のうち the same as 僕んち? Oh wait, all the time :D
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 02.24.2009 11:29 am

keatonatron wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:Since when is ro-ma no ji the same as romanji?

Since when is 僕のうち the same as 僕んち? Oh wait, all the time :D

I'll admit I've never heard 僕のうち shortened to 僕んち before, so, I'll take your word for it.. My other post wasn't an argument, it was a parody.. You didn't get it, but you win.
two_heads_talking

Postby lindsey » Wed 02.25.2009 8:04 pm

Thanks for the help :D . And wow I really didn't know it was spelled romaji. I guess I've always skimmed over the word and for some reason, thought there was an N in it. Sorry! XD
lindsey

Postby Sairana » Wed 02.25.2009 8:23 pm

lindsey wrote:Thanks for the help :D . And wow I really didn't know it was spelled romaji. I guess I've always skimmed over the word and for some reason, thought there was an N in it. Sorry! XD

You've undoubtedly seen it written "romanji" a lot of places, so you probably did see an 'n' in it. But it's wrong....

...although, if so many people -do- write it with an 'n', when does it stop being wrong? EG, my teachers used to say "ain't" wasn't a word because it's not in the dictionary. But it is now... I wonder, doesn't that make it right? ^_^
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby astaroth » Wed 02.25.2009 8:43 pm

A Japanese friend over at lang-8 sent me this website http://kanji.fandom.jp
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 02.25.2009 9:11 pm

Sairana wrote:...although, if so many people -do- write it with an 'n', when does it stop being wrong? EG, my teachers used to say "ain't" wasn't a word because it's not in the dictionary. But it is now... I wonder, doesn't that make it right? ^_^

This is not an easy question to answer, in part because what makes something "correct" or "incorrect" is by no means an easy issue, and can differ based on context. Some things to consider are:
- Does the term appear in standard reference works?
- Does the term have historical usage?
- Does the term have current usage, and if so, where is it used and how?

So for this issue:
- Romaji outnumbers Romanji in google hits by a ratio of about 10:1.
- Romaji appears in some English dictionaries, whereas Romanji does not.
- In Japanese, ローマ字 is overwhelmingly more common than ローマン字; the latter gets only 225 hits which puts it well within the range of "possible typos". There is no question that "romanji" is an incorrect transcription of ローマ字.

So given that I would tend to say that Romanji is incorrect; it just doesn't have enough support from reference works, usage tradition, or current usage.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby lindsey » Wed 02.25.2009 9:18 pm

astaroth wrote:A Japanese friend over at lang-8 sent me this website http://kanji.fandom.jp

I checked the link out. Thanks, it's a cool site.

So it's possible to use kanji for a foreign name too? If so, is katakana still the most common way of writing it?
lindsey

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 02.25.2009 9:29 pm

Katakana is the normal way. Choosing kanji for a foreign name is kind of cutesy and informal.

(Chinese people retain their chinese characters, though.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby astaroth » Wed 02.25.2009 9:52 pm

lindsey wrote:So it's possible to use kanji for a foreign name too? If so, is katakana still the most common way of writing it?

As far as I know "no", unless you naturalize (but I might be wrong on this). It's just a funny website, that's all.
Yudan Taiteki wrote:(Chinese people retain their Chinese characters, though.)

With Chinese things are different as they don't have katakana, foreign names are transliterated into a common subset of hanzi to most closely retain the pronunciation.
Once or twice a couple of my Chinese friends wrote my name in "Chinese", but I completely forgot what hanzi they used.
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 02.25.2009 10:42 pm

astaroth wrote:
(Chinese people retain their Chinese characters, though.)

With Chinese things are different as they don't have katakana, foreign names are transliterated into a common subset of hanzi to most closely retain the pronunciation.
Once or twice a couple of my Chinese friends wrote my name in "Chinese", but I completely forgot what hanzi they used.

I meant that Chinese people who go to Japan or study Japanese retain their Chinese characters for their "Japanese name"; it seems to be a choice whether the person goes by the Japanese readings of the characters or the Chinese pronunciation (modified for Japanese); the latter seems more common. What you say is correct, though.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby astaroth » Wed 02.25.2009 10:56 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:I meant that Chinese people who go to Japan or study Japanese retain their Chinese characters for their "Japanese name"; it seems to be a choice whether the person goes by the Japanese readings of the characters or the Chinese pronunciation (modified for Japanese); the latter seems more common. What you say is correct, though.

Oh I see. Thanks.
Well, I think that would be a rather natural process, after all in Europe we don't translate a name, though that's possible (as Luca for instance is Luke in English, Luc in French, etc), neither we accommodate the pronunciation (and seriously I had my name mispronounced in all possible ways ...)
Do you know about Koreans? Do they use hangul or hanja for names?
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Next

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion