Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Typing the alternate characters for ず and じ?

Typing the alternate characters for ず and じ?

Do you have a translation question?

Typing the alternate characters for ず and じ?

Postby DarumaBlue » Mon 03.16.2009 4:09 am

So I'm adding flash cards to my app, and I'm apparently unable to figure out how to type both chijimeru and katazukeru, which use the other zu hiragana. The ones つ and ち with the little modifying quote marks. Anyhelp?

Also, I noticed that to type an ん character these days I have to type "n" twice. Has it always been this way? My memory has apparently broken down on me. :oops:
DarumaBlue

Native language: English

Re: Typing the alternate characters for ず and じ?

Postby ニッキー » Mon 03.16.2009 4:39 am

DarumaBlue wrote:So I'm adding flash cards to my app, and I'm apparently unable to figure out how to type both chijimeru and katazukeru, which use the other zu hiragana. The ones つ and ち with the little modifying quote marks. Anyhelp?

Also, I noticed that to type an ん character these days I have to type "n" twice. Has it always been this way? My memory has apparently broken down on me. :oops:

Try 'du' and 'di'.

You'll need two 'n's (or an 'n' followed by an apostrophe) for ん when it appears before a vowel or 'y', maybe that's where you're seeing it?
ニッキー

Native language: British English

Postby furrykef » Mon 03.16.2009 9:46 am

Though I think it's not a bad habit to always type 'nn' for ん, because if you don't, you may forget to double the 'n' when you do have to it, leading to typos.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 03.16.2009 10:10 am

furrykef wrote:Though I think it's not a bad habit to always type 'nn' for ん, because if you don't, you may forget to double the 'n' when you do have to it, leading to typos.

I find it actually leads to typos the opposite way. The habit of typing the double "n" is so ingrained that If I type a name or place in romaji, I usually end up writing a double "n" where only one is called for.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby furrykef » Mon 03.16.2009 10:45 am

I actually type differently when I'm typing human-readable romaji and when I'm typing in the IME. In the IME, I almost always abbreviate "shi", "chi", and "tsu" to "si", "ti", and "tu", and sometimes I even use "hu" and "zi" instead of "fu" and "ji" for some reason. But I don't type "sya" instead of "sha" or anything like that.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Dehitay » Mon 03.16.2009 7:06 pm

becki_kanou wrote:
furrykef wrote:Though I think it's not a bad habit to always type 'nn' for ん, because if you don't, you may forget to double the 'n' when you do have to it, leading to typos.

I find it actually leads to typos the opposite way. The habit of typing the double "n" is so ingrained that If I type a name or place in romaji, I usually end up writing a double "n" where only one is called for.

One of the reasons I prefer the n' to nn
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby wccrawford » Mon 03.23.2009 6:50 am

furrykef wrote:I actually type differently when I'm typing human-readable romaji and when I'm typing in the IME. In the IME, I almost always abbreviate "shi", "chi", and "tsu" to "si", "ti", and "tu", and sometimes I even use "hu" and "zi" instead of "fu" and "ji" for some reason. But I don't type "sya" instead of "sha" or anything like that.

- Kef

My IME-typing stays closer to romaji than yours, but I'm the same way as far as typing 'nn'... It's never been a problem. I think the difference is that I'm not typing the word, I'm hitting the characters necessary to type the word. It doesn't seem like much of a distinction, but it's like using the shift key to get caps... You do it because you have to, but you'd never use the shift key when it wasn't appropriate.

On the other hand, I very, very, very rarely type in romaji any more, either.
wccrawford

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 03.23.2009 10:33 am

Do you use the kana keyboard layout or something?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion