Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - よろしく

よろしく

Do you have a translation question?

よろしく

Postby Salza600 » Mon 03.16.2009 8:20 pm

So everyone knows that どうぞよろしくお願いします means "Nice to meet you" and what not. But I've been hearing just
よろしくお願いします randomly when listening to Japanese blogs/radio. I hear it at the end of these blogs/radio shows as sort of a "good bye" but I'm still unsure of the real meaning of the word よろしく or what the phrase よろしくお願いします is truly implying. So if any more experienced speakers out there could inform me? Thanks :D
南無阿弥陀仏!
Salza600

Re: よろしく

Postby chikara » Mon 03.16.2009 8:29 pm

よろしく can be used to "sign off" in the same way that "regards" is used in English.

As for the "real meaning" do you mean the "literal meaning"?

宜しく(P); 夜露死苦(ateji); 宜敷く(ateji) 【よろしく】 (exp,adv) (1) (uk) well; properly; suitably; (2) best regards; please remember me; please treat me favorably (favourably); please take care of;
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Dehitay » Tue 03.17.2009 12:56 pm

If I hear somebody say よろしく, I tend to just think of it as a shortened and more casual form of よろしくお願いします. The 2 aren't exactly the same thing, but I think they carry the same general meaning.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby AJBryant » Tue 03.17.2009 4:20 pm

よろしく or よろしくお願いします are also the CORRECT way to end letters (e-mails, posts, etc.) when you are asking for information or a favor. In that, they are the Japanese equivalent to a preemptive "thanks" or a "thanks in advance."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Salza600 » Fri 03.20.2009 7:37 pm

AJBryant wrote:よろしく or よろしくお願いします are also the CORRECT way to end letters (e-mails, posts, etc.) when you are asking for information or a favor. In that, they are the Japanese equivalent to a preemptive "thanks" or a "thanks in advance."

Tony

Okay thank you that makes it clearer :)
南無阿弥陀仏!
Salza600

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion