Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Trying to figure out this one character...

Trying to figure out this one character...

Do you have a translation question?

Trying to figure out this one character...

Postby Kisai » Sat 03.21.2009 9:58 pm

And I keep seeing it popping up in the tracklists for my soundtracks. I was trying to copy down the tracklist info for the Card Captor Sakura soundtracks exactly as they appeared in the tracklist, but there's a character I have NO idea what it is.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/D ... 60591a.jpg

Photobucket makes the picture a LITTLE big smaller there, but specifically, the character comes before the name of anyone who did any vocals for a certain track, like in tracks 12, 21, and 32. To give a clearer idea of which character, look JUST before "CHAKA"'s name. It's like, "[character]:CHAKA".

And a couple of tracks in the CCS soundtracks are read like that, and I really wanted to try and copy them down exact, but I have no idea how to enter in that character. @_@;;
Kisai

Native language: English

Re: Trying to figure out this one character...

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 03.21.2009 10:10 pm

It's pretty small, but it's probably 歌, indicating that the person in question is the one who sung the song. For 12 it's telling you that Sakura is the one that sung the song, and Tomoyo sung #21 (their seiyuu are in parentheses, Sakura Tange and Iwao Junko respectively)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Kisai » Sat 03.21.2009 11:04 pm

Hmm... After checking, I see that apparently that would mean "Song". ^^ So it'd be like, "Song: CHAKA" or such. And after scrutinizing over that character and trying to see it in the actual soundtrack I have... Card Captor Sakura Original Soundtrack 2... I think it's right. The character's that hard to make out even on the actual thing. @_@ I assume the only way you could REALLY tell any of this is if you already had known Japanese, of course... ;_;

Thanks. ^^ That must be it, I guess. I mean, I have no idea what else it could be, and it seems as close as possible. ^_^ So now I can finally put in those track titles exactly. ^^ Thankee!
Kisai

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 03.21.2009 11:45 pm

"歌: X" is a pretty standard way to indicate "Sung by X" on CD cases and subtitles and such.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby keatonatron » Sun 03.22.2009 10:35 am

Kisai wrote:Hmm... After checking, I see that apparently that would mean "Song". ^^ So it'd be like, "Song: CHAKA" or such

Just as how "Lyrics: Billy Bob" means "Lyrics by Billy Bob", even if you write "歌: XXX" it still means "Song by XXX" or "Singing by XXX".

(歌 doesn't necessarily have to mean "うた", it can also be an abbreviation of 歌手)
keatonatron

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion