Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Dialogue Help

Dialogue Help

Do you have a translation question?

Dialogue Help

Postby Sync » Thu 03.26.2009 4:38 pm

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some help. I'm trying to learn Japanese and have been asked to put together a couple of dialogues. They are both a mixture of what I have been taught but some of it is done through translators and I don't really trust them for whole sentences. So any help on my mistakes would be great.

I'm going to upload an image of what I have done so far - that way you can see the English which I started with and the Japanese which I have (some knowledge, some machine translation).

It would be great if you could take a peak and see if I have made any mistakes or if stuff doesn't make sense :shock:

Thanks in advance for any help.

japanese.jpg
japanese.jpg (134.28 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Sync

Native language: English

Re: Dialogue Help

Postby richvh » Thu 03.26.2009 10:38 pm

"Daigakusei" is more specific than merely "student", it's "college student."

Note that the 'o' in "spo-tsu" is long. スポーツ in katakana.

"Nemasu" or "yasumimasu" are what would normally be used for "go to bed", and "okimasu" for "get up".

Add a "wa" between "supo-tsu kurabu" and "ikura desu ka".

一ヶ月 is "ikkagetsu", not "ichi ka gatsu".

You misplaced a space in "Eigyoujikan wa nan desu ka."

I'll let someone else handle the second dialogue.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 03.26.2009 10:52 pm

Ok, I'll give you hand with the second dialogue.

Menyu wo miru koto ga dekiru ka?==> This is very rude. It should be "Menyuu wo kudasai." (A menu, please.)

Hai, koko ni menyuu ga arimasu.==> Machine translators cannot handle idioms. This should be "Hai, douzo"

Sushi wo matteimasuka? ==> Should be "Sushi ha arimasu ka?"

Iie, sumimasen. ==>"Sumimasen, osushi ha gozaimasen."

Keredomo Tempura ha oishii desu. ==> A Japanese waiter would not offer another choice like this, it seems pushy.

Hai, sen nihyaku en desu, onegaishimasu. ==> You don't need the "onegaishimasu".

Domo arigatou oishi kata desu. ==> We usually say "Gochisousama deshita." after eating. It's a set phrase.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby keatonatron » Fri 03.27.2009 1:32 am

becki_kanou wrote:Keredomo Tempura ha oishii desu. ==> A Japanese waiter would not offer another choice like this, it seems pushy.

It would be perfectly normal if the "waiter" was the おばさん slash 店長 in a family-run restaurant. Of course in that case the sentence would be ended with よ.
keatonatron

Postby Sync » Fri 03.27.2009 8:22 am

I did think the Tempura thing sounded rude myself as I was typing it but it was part of the specification so I need to leave it in there :o

Thanks for all the help. It's appreciated - I think I know have something like real Japanese :lol:
Sync

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion