Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Do you have a translation question?

How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Postby sampaguita » Mon 04.13.2009 10:04 pm

I know that

なんのために生きるのか?

means "what do you live for?"

But how do you say

"I live for nothing"?

Thanks!
sampaguita
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri 02.18.2005 7:26 am

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Postby Hyperworm » Mon 04.13.2009 11:47 pm

I'd say
何のためにも生きていない。
Or perhaps
何かのために生きてるんじゃない。
?

It's a bit of a vague sentence originally, though. For instance, is the speaker supposed to sound depressed that he has no reason to live, or is he celebrating the fact that he doesn't have to waste his life for someone/something else, or is he being philosophical and saying "I don't have a reason or purpose to live; I just live", or...?

Translating phrases which sound cool but have fuzzy/ill-defined/no meaning is a bit tricky >_>
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
User avatar
Hyperworm
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue 11.20.2007 2:26 pm
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Postby sampaguita » Tue 04.14.2009 5:23 am

Let's just say that the speaker has no specific feelings for this -- he merely states the fact that he lives for nothing in particular. How would that be translated then? Thanks!
sampaguita
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri 02.18.2005 7:26 am

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Postby spin13 » Tue 04.14.2009 7:17 am

sampaguita wrote:Let's just say that the speaker has no specific feelings for this -- he merely states the fact that he lives for nothing in particular. How would that be translated then? Thanks!

Ve believe in nothing, Lebowski. Nothing. And tomorrow ve come back and ve cut off your chonson.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed 04.06.2005 9:38 pm
Location: Tokyo
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Postby kurisuto » Tue 04.14.2009 8:00 am

Maybe 生きがいがない (ikigai ga nai) : "ikigai" means by itself "goal in life" or "something one lives for".
User avatar
kurisuto
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Sat 12.13.2008 11:40 am
Location: France
Native language: French
Gender: Male

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Postby AJBryant » Tue 04.14.2009 9:33 am

sampaguita wrote:Let's just say that the speaker has no specific feelings for this -- he merely states the fact that he lives for nothing in particular. How would that be translated then? Thanks!



And, again... what does it MEAN??

I want to know his INTENT. What is he *SAYING*?
User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Location: Indiana
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Postby richvh » Tue 04.14.2009 9:45 am

In other words, what's the context?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 04.14.2009 12:26 pm

AJBryant wrote:
sampaguita wrote:Let's just say that the speaker has no specific feelings for this -- he merely states the fact that he lives for nothing in particular. How would that be translated then? Thanks!



And, again... what does it MEAN??

I want to know his INTENT. What is he *SAYING*?


I think this is kinda like when .... I have a friend who has a problem.....

The intent is the OP's but they are trying to be vague so no one thinks they are pathetic or something.

To the OP, if you aren't sure what context is, try asking and answering these questions..

who? what? where? when? why? and how?
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Postby Sairana » Tue 04.14.2009 11:39 pm

For comparison, I asked one of my friends, completely randomly, what it means when someone says, "I live for nothing."

Her answer was, "I don't know, why'd they say it?"

Even in English, the answer requires context.
Sairana
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed 02.27.2008 11:54 pm
Native language: (US) English
Gender: Female

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Postby sampaguita » Thu 04.16.2009 12:11 am

I'm thinking of it as an answer to the question "What do you live for?"

A: What do you live for?
B: I live for nothing.

Something like that. :D
sampaguita
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri 02.18.2005 7:26 am

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Postby furrykef » Thu 04.16.2009 12:32 am

But "I live for nothing" is supposed to mean something, and it isn't obvious to us what that means, so how you translate it depends on what is meant by it. Taking your conversation, let's suppose it went like this:

A: What do you live for?
B: I live for nothing.
A: Really? What do you mean by that?

We need to know B's response to that before we can continue. You seem to be assuming that there's some magical, neutral, one-size-fits-all meaning of the phrase that can be translated, but I think there really isn't one.

You see, when you translate into another language, to do the job properly, you can't just translate words and phrases. You must translate what they mean, not the words they used. Sometimes you can do it using similar phrasing, but, well, sometimes you can't.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
User avatar
furrykef
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
Gender: Male

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Postby sampaguita » Thu 04.16.2009 10:44 pm

Hmmm...yeah I get the point. This is a rather sensitive subject, so I guess that's where the confusion comes about.

My basic question is, how do use "tame ni" when there is no reason to start with? I'm used to sentences like

母のためにいっしょうけんめいはたらく。
木村さんのためのペンを買いました。

But what if there is no purpose at all? Do you use

なんのためにもはたらかない。
べつのためにはたらかない。
このペンはだれのためにも買わなかった。

Is there anything wrong with these sentences? Thanks!
sampaguita
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri 02.18.2005 7:26 am

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 04.16.2009 11:12 pm

sampaguita wrote:Hmmm...yeah I get the point. This is a rather sensitive subject, so I guess that's where the confusion comes about.


No, it has nothing to do with the subject being sensitive. I'm still not entirely sure what "I live for nothing" means in English, so I have no chance of being able to express it in Japanese.

My basic question is, how do use "tame ni" when there is no reason to start with?


You don't. "tame ni" expresses a purpose or reason, so you don't use it when there's no purpose or reason. 理由はない can mean "I have no reason".
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Postby sampaguita » Tue 04.21.2009 7:08 pm

That's the answer I'm looking for!Thanks!
sampaguita
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri 02.18.2005 7:26 am

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Postby AJBryant » Tue 04.21.2009 10:28 pm

Ummm....

That's *not* "I live for nothing."
:?
User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Location: Indiana
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Next

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests