How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Do you have a translation question?
User avatar
becki_kanou
Posts: 3402
Joined: Sat 04.19.2008 10:09 pm
Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語
Gender: Female
Location: Hyogo, Japan
Contact:

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Post by becki_kanou » Tue 04.21.2009 10:34 pm

AJBryant wrote:Ummm....

That's *not* "I live for nothing."
:?
I was thinking the same thing. No one has answered your question yet because you haven't clarified it enough.

Do you mean:

There is nothing for me to live for... (so I might as well just end it all.)
I LIVE for nothing. (My purpose in life is to do nothing)
I don't live for anything in particular.
I live for nathink. (like the German Nihilists in Big Lebowski)

because these would all be translated differnetly in Japanese and we can't help you with a translation until you tell us the meaning that you intend.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。

sampaguita
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri 02.18.2005 7:26 am

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Post by sampaguita » Wed 04.22.2009 5:27 am

becki_kanou wrote:
AJBryant wrote:Ummm....

That's *not* "I live for nothing."
:?
I was thinking the same thing. No one has answered your question yet because you haven't clarified it enough.

Do you mean:

There is nothing for me to live for... (so I might as well just end it all.)
I LIVE for nothing. (My purpose in life is to do nothing)
I don't live for anything in particular.
I live for nathink. (like the German Nihilists in Big Lebowski)

because these would all be translated differnetly in Japanese and we can't help you with a translation until you tell us the meaning that you intend.

Could you give me the translations for every interpretation? :D Honestly, I was looking for "I don't live for anything in particular", but these other aspects are interesting too!

Could you, please? Thanks!

User avatar
furrykef
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Post by furrykef » Wed 04.22.2009 5:33 am

sampaguita wrote:Honestly, I was looking for "I don't live for anything in particular"
And as we keep trying to tell you, that doesn't mean anything by itself.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)

sampaguita
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri 02.18.2005 7:26 am

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Post by sampaguita » Wed 04.22.2009 6:16 am

furrykef wrote:
sampaguita wrote:Honestly, I was looking for "I don't live for anything in particular"
And as we keep trying to tell you, that doesn't mean anything by itself.

Okay...How about "I LIVE for nothing"?

User avatar
furrykef
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Post by furrykef » Wed 04.22.2009 9:36 am

*head slams on desk*
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)

User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Post by Yudan Taiteki » Wed 04.22.2009 9:55 am

アイ・リブ・フォア・ナシング
-Chris Kern

User avatar
furrykef
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Post by furrykef » Wed 04.22.2009 10:05 am

Well, it's about as meaningful. :lol:
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)

User avatar
becki_kanou
Posts: 3402
Joined: Sat 04.19.2008 10:09 pm
Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語
Gender: Female
Location: Hyogo, Japan
Contact:

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Post by becki_kanou » Wed 04.22.2009 10:20 am

I don't know why I'm bothering but.... here you go:

別に何かの為に生きているわけでもないけど。。。
I'm not living for any particular thing.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。

sampaguita
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri 02.18.2005 7:26 am

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Post by sampaguita » Thu 04.23.2009 1:17 am

I'm sorry if I couldn't get my point across. In my native language, this sentence is easy to translate, no nuances involved....so sorry guys.

sampaguita
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri 02.18.2005 7:26 am

Re: How do you translate "I live for nothing"?

Post by sampaguita » Thu 04.23.2009 1:19 am

becki_kanou wrote:I don't know why I'm bothering but.... here you go:

別に何かの為に生きているわけでもないけど。。。
I'm not living for any particular thing.
Thanks!!!

Post Reply