Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Miso Soup Mystery flavour

Miso Soup Mystery flavour

Do you have a translation question?

Re: Miso Soup Mystery flavour

Postby furrykef » Tue 04.21.2009 1:27 pm

AJBryant wrote:I've been known to use that line myself.

Heh, not only do I use that line, I even understand the Latin involved. :P
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby astaroth » Tue 04.21.2009 2:16 pm

furrykef wrote:Heh, not only do I use that line, I even understand the Latin involved. :P

That quote and, of course, Carthago delenda est are the best examples of parifrastica passiva (sorry no idea what is this called in English)
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby furrykef » Tue 04.21.2009 3:11 pm

It's just called the "passive periphrastic". :) (Note that it's perifrastica/periphrastic, with an "e", not parafrastica/paraphrastic. It looks like it's related to the word "paraphrase", but only the "-phrase" part is related.)

(Incidentally, it turns out that I didn't fully understand the Latin after all, since I've just now learned what the passive periphrastic actually means, hehe. But now I do fully understand it. :mrgreen:)

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby astaroth » Tue 04.21.2009 3:40 pm

furrykef wrote:It's just called the "passive periphrastic". :) (Note that it's perifrastica/periphrastic, with an "e", not parafrastica/paraphrastic. It looks like it's related to the word "paraphrase", but only the "-phrase" part is related.)

Yup you're right. It's was a typo.
furrykef wrote:(Incidentally, it turns out that I didn't fully understand the Latin after all, since I've just now learned what the passive periphrastic actually means, hehe. But now I do fully understand it. :mrgreen:)

I don't quite remember what the active one was. Something like what one will do in the future? like planning or something? It wasn't much used (at least not like the passive periphrastic) so I learned and forgot less than a week later ... (and that was more than 10 years ago :))
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 04.22.2009 4:21 am

AJBryant wrote:I *love* kimchi, but don't get to buy it too often (the best place that sells it is a bit of a drive). I'm always looking for new things to do with it.

I put up with japaense kimchi, but it's the real korean stuff that I love. Whenever my wife goes there she picks some up for me.
This last time she went there I got kimchi surume. Which is pretty much just surume jelled in kimchi.
It was AMAZING. If you ever have a chance, do not hesitate to pick some up!

And what's that about the kimchi smell? Does kimchi really have a smell?
Natto... now THAT has a smell... ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Previous

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion