Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Textbook error?

Textbook error?

Do you have a translation question?

Textbook error?

Postby Anoku » Wed 04.29.2009 7:54 pm

Sorry to bother you again, I'm a bit baffled by a sentence in
"The preparatory Course for The Japanese Language Proficiency Test, Level 4" by Unicom, Inc.

In this textbook, I've come across a sentence (No context, just a stand-alone sentence):
今年4月に日本へ来ました
The translation is given as:
I came to Japan in April this year, which I -crudely- read as:
This year, 4th month, in Japan (へ?) came (come past positive)

The thing that has got me confused is the へ after 日本 in this sentence.
I've tried translating this sentence using other methods, but none use/insert へ..

I've checked "All about particles" by Naoko Chino, but へ is not listed as a particle.
I do believe で is used to denote 'Being at/in, which I can see being inserted here to signify 'In Japan', but cannot imagine this to be an accidental error since the difference between へ and で may sound like a plausible error in romaji, in Hiragana I think not really...
Also, に is already being used to denote where it takes place, right?

So.. what is the function of へ in this sentence?
I've checked other sentences, but haven't seen へ used in this way to give me a frame of reference.
...maybe, someday, something profound will be written here...
Anoku

Native language: English

Re: Textbook error?

Postby NocturnalOcean » Wed 04.29.2009 7:57 pm

I am quite sure you find へ in any book about Japanese particles.
It is pretty much the same as に and indicates direction/movement. So in your sentence 日本へきました = Came to Japan.

Also で is used for a location where an action is taking place, not direction. "To come" indicates movemente/direction, so で would be wrong in any case.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 04.29.2009 8:33 pm

Anoku wrote:I've checked "All about particles" by Naoko Chino, but へ is not listed as a particle.

It's #14 on page 60 in the copy on google books. It's pronounced "e" rather than "he", which may be confusing you?

Also, に is already being used to denote where it takes place, right?

No. に in this case indicates the time.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Anoku » Thu 04.30.2009 3:00 am

NocturnalOcean wrote:I am quite sure you find へ in any book about Japanese particles.

Yudan Taiteki wrote:It's #14 on page 60 in the copy on google books. It's pronounced "e" rather than "he", which may be confusing you?

Yep, the reason I didn't find it earlier was because I looked for 'he' in the index, but it is actually listed as 'e'.
Went to bed after my OP, picked up my 'All about particles' where I had left off (に)and, of course, the next one was 'e'
Sod's law.. :shock:

But thank you both for replying and clarifying. The difference is clear after having re-read both chapters a few times this morning.
...maybe, someday, something profound will be written here...
Anoku

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion