Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - need help please

need help please

Do you have a translation question?

need help please

Postby kidien » Fri 05.01.2009 4:55 pm

Its a sentence from one of the reading materials on this website ゆきの物語, chapter 10 家老の調査報告, which is ある大名が倒されて城が火事で焼け落ちてしまいました.

To me its saying that daimyo died when the castle was burned down, but I cant figure out the predicate of this sentence because I think both 倒されて and 焼け落ちてしまいました are verbs describing 城. Im a bit confused how this sentence is constructed. Could someone elaborate this for me please?
kidien

Native language: Chinese

Re: need help please

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 05.01.2009 5:13 pm

kidien wrote:Its a sentence from one of the reading materials on this website ゆきの物語, chapter 10 家老の調査報告, which is ある大名が倒されて城が火事で焼け落ちてしまいました.

To me its saying that daimyo died when the castle was burned down, but I cant figure out the predicate of this sentence because I think both 倒されて and 焼け落ちてしまいました are verbs describing 城. Im a bit confused how this sentence is constructed. Could someone elaborate this for me please?

倒される is passive, and so applies to the 大名.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 05.01.2009 7:19 pm

ある大名が倒されて城が火事で焼け落ちてしまいました.

I eat hamburgers.
I drink beer.

I eat hamburgers and drink beer.

You grok the Japanese compound sentence the same way you do that English one.

ある大名が倒されました。
城が家事で焼け落ちてしまいました。

I must confess that I haven't looked at this story yet. I'm surprised to see it is being written using desu/masu forms instead of the forms more typical of literature. Is that to make it more "user-friendly" for readers learning Japanese?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 05.01.2009 11:19 pm

Mike Cash wrote:I must confess that I haven't looked at this story yet. I'm surprised to see it is being written using desu/masu forms instead of the forms more typical of literature. Is that to make it more "user-friendly" for readers learning Japanese?

I believe that richvh said some native speakers told him the desu/masu sounds appropriate for a fairy-tale story because it makes it sound like there's a narrator telling you the story.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby kidien » Sat 05.02.2009 8:25 am

Thank you all guys! I later found out that 倒されて can also mean 'to be killed' apart from 'to be knocked down'and that makes alot sense to me now.
kidien

Native language: Chinese

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion