Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - PONY AUDITON Translation Please.

PONY AUDITON Translation Please.

Do you have a translation question?

PONY AUDITON Translation Please.

Postby Ojoouf » Fri 05.08.2009 5:32 pm

http://www.ponycanyon.co.jp/pcaudition/ ... index.html

All I can read from it so far is that they want is a tape...... then at the end a debut.

It's not live text so I can't use my dictionary.

Thank You for any help.
Ojoouf

Re: PONY AUDITON Translation Please.

Postby AJBryant » Fri 05.08.2009 5:38 pm

Ummm... what?

It's TEXT you can use *any* dictionary.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Ojoouf » Fri 05.08.2009 6:16 pm

I have a computer dictionary and I can copy and paste the Kanji that I dont know and find out what they mean.
Ojoouf

Postby furrykef » Fri 05.08.2009 7:42 pm

You can type kanji you don't know using the mouse if you have a basic idea of how stroke order works.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 05.08.2009 10:21 pm

Ojoouf wrote:I have a computer dictionary and I can copy and paste the Kanji that I dont know and find out what they mean.

You know, I think there should be a ban on online dictionaries JUST because they allow copy-paste.
While they are easy to look up words, they make it TOO easy to do so, and I find that most people don't retain the words nearly as well as when they look them up in a paper dictionary. -- There's just something about spending that time looking for a single word, and concentrating on that word that makes it all the easier to remember in the future.

and going off of what furrykef said, you should learn how to look up kanji by stoke order and radical -- especially if you plan on keeping up with japanese for any length of time. You're not always going to be online when you need to look up a word.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Ojoouf » Sat 05.09.2009 12:24 am

How am I suppose to look up the kanji if I dont know the meaning, or If I dont know the stroke order?
Ojoouf

Postby nukemarine » Sat 05.09.2009 12:56 am

Harisenbon wrote:
Ojoouf wrote:I have a computer dictionary and I can copy and paste the Kanji that I dont know and find out what they mean.

You know, I think there should be a ban on online dictionaries JUST because they allow copy-paste.
While they are easy to look up words, they make it TOO easy to do so, and I find that most people don't retain the words nearly as well as when they look them up in a paper dictionary. -- There's just something about spending that time looking for a single word, and concentrating on that word that makes it all the easier to remember in the future.

and going off of what furrykef said, you should learn how to look up kanji by stoke order and radical -- especially if you plan on keeping up with japanese for any length of time. You're not always going to be online when you need to look up a word.

While we're at at, they should ban toilets too. Didn't you know digging your own hole helps physical fitness.

Come on, an electronic or online dictionary is just a useful tool. Like any other tool it can be abused. As for knowing stroke order, radicals, and basic meanings ..... well, I won't go there.

Ojoouf wrote:How am I suppose to look up the kanji if I dont know the meaning, or If I dont know the stroke order?

OK, I will go there. Learn and memorize how to write and recognize the Kanji first. [url]kanji.koohii.com[/url] should help with that problem. Expect about 200 to 300 hours of active study time though, but a smart person like you should be able to do it in 100 hours no problem.
nukemarine

Postby furrykef » Sat 05.09.2009 2:54 am

Ojoouf wrote:How am I suppose to look up the kanji if I dont know the meaning, or If I dont know the stroke order?

If you study kanji enough, stroke order becomes intuitive and obvious for something like 99% of the characters. Even when you get it wrong, though, the IME will usually know what you mean as long as you have the right number of strokes and such.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby ss » Sat 05.09.2009 7:33 am

I think practice writing is sometimes less likely that somebody's going to sit down and actually write it, BUT it is that extra little effort you put in which will produce a big difference. The more the experience the stronger an imprint on your memory it sticks. If you're talking about free translation, that's something different, I'm sure.

Are you not aware that you have to tackle kanji the moment you decide to study Japanese? That’s why you need to learn to look words up, especially in a paper dictionary. It’s a good start.

There is reason why you are online and, many times when you’re not online, that’s the alternative/skill required to continue learning. Think of it one day your pc crashed or created lots of problems, then how?

There are also reasons why paper dictionaries are published and updated from time to time.

If you’re interested, go visit some educational Chinese learning sites and ask the same question. I can tell you, people will encourage you to look up paper dictionary as well. And they are probably going to tell you how they are trained to look up dictionary from young, and almost every home will own more than 10 different dictionaries, that’s nothing laughable, you just need that.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby Ojoouf » Sat 05.09.2009 9:11 am

Thanks for the advice and websites, ill try.
Ojoouf

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 05.09.2009 9:36 am

nukemarine wrote:While we're at at, they should ban toilets too. Didn't you know digging your own hole helps physical fitness.

Come on, an electronic or online dictionary is just a useful tool. Like any other tool it can be abused. As for knowing stroke order, radicals, and basic meanings ..... well, I won't go there.

Perhaps I was a bit strong in my wording with ban, but I think comparing a tool that while useful hinders your studying of kanji to digging your own toilet is a bit weird. I would consider the usefulness of an copy/paste dictionary to the henkan function of the IME: incredibly useful, but ultimately damaging for actually studying as it TOO easy to use.

But either way, it's a moot point.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 05.09.2009 9:46 am

Personally I never found that looking things up in a paper dictionary helped my retention of words, it just made it take longer to make progress.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby ss » Sat 05.09.2009 10:16 am

Personally I never found that looking things up in a paper dictionary helped my retention of words, it just made it take longer to make progress.

Personally, I would think that in the world of about 6 thousand million populations, naturally there is 1% out the total who agrees with you and others.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 05.09.2009 7:55 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Personally I never found that looking things up in a paper dictionary helped my retention of words, it just made it take longer to make progress.

what do you use to look up words? strictly computer?

I know when I was younger it was a hand help word tank or a small pocket dictionary or the big old 10 pound book of kanji..'''

I always wished there were more computer dictionaries back then
two_heads_talking

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 05.09.2009 8:03 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:Personally I never found that looking things up in a paper dictionary helped my retention of words, it just made it take longer to make progress.

what do you use to look up words? strictly computer?

Computer or my electronic dictionary. I have never made extensive use of paper dictionaries at any time in my studying. The only time I use a paper dictionary now is the rare occasion on which I have to look something up in that 20-volume kokugo jiten (whatever it's called), but that hardly ever happens.

JWPce was my best friend back in the day.

Although these days I'm often too lazy to look unknown words up, alas...
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Next

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion