Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I've been curious about this usage of "hai" for-almost-ever.

I've been curious about this usage of "hai" for-almost-ever.

Do you have a translation question?

I've been curious about this usage of "hai" for-almost-ever.

Postby Kisai » Mon 05.18.2009 3:47 pm

I should explain how my particular curiosity came about. I downloaded some Card Captor Sakura episodes, and naturally, as any true fan would watch them, watched them dubbed, meaning none of Nelvana's silly changes. I quickly caught on that "hai" meant "Yes" or "Yeah" or whatever rather quickly. But so did a friend of mine, whom I gave the episodes to for her to watch.

The way she uses the word "hai" makes me curious as to if it's actually accurate. I can't say for sure, but I just have a feeling it may be wrong, or... off somehow. I mean, she DOES sometimes use it as a substitute for "Yeah" or "Yes" when told things, but she often uses it as an actual literal equivilant for the English "Yeah" or whatever. Example: we're in a car, friend is driving, car ahead is going slow, driver jokingly shouts to her to fire the missiles, like as though our car has some James Bond-like missiles or whatever, and she responds, "Hai!" and that's fine, but they continued joking around or whatever (I can't remember any actual dialoug from their silly exchanges), with the driver ordering her to fire the lasers and nukes or whatever, and she just responds, "Hai! HAI! HAAIII!" with trigger-happy enthusiasm. (I guess like, "Yeah, yeah, YEAH!")

Of course, I had to kinda kill the mood with my lameness and be like, "Ya know, I'm not entirely sure that's completely accurate how you're using that." but I quickly said I wasn't sure either. That's why I'm asking right now. I WISH I could think of other examples on how she's used that in ways that made me question her accuracy on its usage, but that's the only one that comes to mind right now.
Kisai

Native language: English

Re: I've been curious about this usage of "hai" for-almost-ever.

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 05.18.2009 4:45 pm

"Hai" cannot be used to mean "yeah" in the sense of "yeah! that's awesome!"
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Gundaetiapo » Mon 05.18.2009 5:13 pm

Kisai wrote:Example: we're in a car, friend is driving, car ahead is going slow, driver jokingly shouts to her to fire the missiles, like as though our car has some James Bond-like missiles or whatever, and she responds, "Hai!" and that's fine, but they continued joking around or whatever (I can't remember any actual dialoug from their silly exchanges), with the driver ordering her to fire the lasers and nukes or whatever, and she just responds, "Hai! HAI! HAAIII!" with trigger-happy enthusiasm. (I guess like, "Yeah, yeah, YEAH!")

It's fine in response to orders, which is what you described. What Yudan says is right though.
Gundaetiapo

Postby coco » Tue 05.19.2009 7:49 am

I am also curious about that Hai usage. :)
Could you please tell us where we can download that episode, if they have legally provided it?
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Hyperworm » Tue 05.19.2009 9:07 am

すこし間違いやすいと思いますが(私も最初は読むのが早すぎて意味を取り違えた>_>;)、Kisaiさんが仰ったのは「友達が私のダウンロードしたエピソードを見て、真似して『はい』を言うようになったんですが、この使い方は正しいでしょうか?」だと思います。
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby coco » Tue 05.19.2009 9:24 am

Hyperworm wrote:すこし間違いやすいと思いますが(私も最初は読むのが早すぎて意味を取り違えた>_>;)、Kisaiさんが仰ったのは「友達が私のダウンロードしたエピソードを見て、真似して『はい』を言うようになったんですが、この使い方は正しいでしょうか?」だと思います。

Hyperwormさん、ご指摘ありがとうございます。
なるほど。元のアニメとは違う使い方で「はい」だけ真似をしたのですね。 :D

Kisai-san, I'm sorry. I misunderstood your post. :P
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion