Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - なかなか~ない

なかなか~ない

Do you have a translation question?

なかなか~ない

Postby space_bubble » Tue 05.19.2009 12:27 pm

In reality, the なかなか~ない ("not easily done") pattern is not my question, but there is a sentence that will follow that I can't completely get a handle on, and it is written in such a way that I can't isolate exactly what there is in it that keeps me from understanding it completely. Since I'm currently reviewing the なかなか~ない pattern, that's the closest label I could think of to put in the Subject line of this post, so my apology for any confusion that may arise out of that.

The sentence is
たばこはよくないと分かっていても、なかなかやめられなくて、困っている人が多いです。

My word-for-word English reading of this (which sounds unnatural) is "Even though they realize that cigarettes are not good for them, it's not easy to quit smoking, and there are many people who are having a hard time.

I think that the true meaning of the Japanese sentence is closer to, say, "Even though they realize that cigarettes are not good for them, it's not easy to quit smoking, and because of that, there are many people who are having a hard time."

From my non-expert perspective, however, I see only coordination among the Japanese clauses, whereas I would expect--rightly or wrongly--to see a subordinating clause in the Japanese sentence to give "and because of that," which would tie "there are many people who are having a hard time" to the rest of the sentence.
space_bubble

Native language: 英語

Re: なかなか~ない

Postby astaroth » Tue 05.19.2009 1:34 pm

Can't なかなかやめられなくて be a relative clause of 人?
Something like "There are many people who, even though knowing smoking is bad, can't quit and are worried (about their health)". Though an added "so" in the English translation might make the sentence more natural.
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Re: なかなか~ない

Postby space_bubble » Wed 05.20.2009 1:03 pm

astaroth wrote:Can't なかなかやめられなくて be a relative clause of 人?
Something like "There are many people who, even though knowing smoking is bad, can't quit and are worried (about their health)". Though an added "so" in the English translation might make the sentence more natural.

I am inexperienced enough at times to let even commas in a sentence throw me off a bit, and I think that was one (of two or three) reasons the Japanese sentence had seemed so difficult. But, your sentence sounds like an excellent reading, and I will put it in my notes so I can study its grammar.

Thank you for your assistance.
space_bubble

Native language: 英語

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion