Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hoping I got this (simple?) translation correct

Hoping I got this (simple?) translation correct

Do you have a translation question?

Hoping I got this (simple?) translation correct

Postby raevin » Wed 05.27.2009 1:07 pm

I was watching this video on YouTube, and in the description, the uploader put this: "日本語でのコメントもOKです!"

If I'm reading it correct, does it say "Also, it's okay to comment in Japanese!"?
raevin

Native language: English

Re: Hoping I got this (simple?) translation correct

Postby solidsnake360 » Wed 05.27.2009 2:48 pm

My guess would be "Even comments in Japanese are OK." Maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong.
solidsnake360

Postby Denus » Wed 05.27.2009 4:55 pm

I think both translations sound fine.

I actually had a minor brain meltdown regarding も. I first learned it as meaning "also", but then I learned it as meaning "even", and then I read somewhere that it's actually an "emphasizer" particle and doesn't really mean "also" or "even" but comes across that way, etc. But anyway...
Denus

Postby furrykef » Wed 05.27.2009 10:44 pm

Denus wrote:and then I read somewhere that it's actually an "emphasizer" particle and doesn't really mean "also" or "even" but comes across that way, etc.

That was probably just to make the point that も "really" means も -- that is, it's its own word with its own meaning, and shouldn't be thought of purely in terms of English words, because there's always going to be some sort of odd case that confounds you unless you realize that it doesn't necessarily correspond neatly to an English word. There's a difference between what a word means and how we translate it, although we often overlook that difference.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby sampaguita » Thu 05.28.2009 7:59 am

Both translations are fine because they both give the essence of the sentence in Japanese. Literally, the sentence is translated as:

"Comments in Japanese are also okay."

It's essentially the same as the two previous translations given.
sampaguita

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion