Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Translation into Japanese

Translation into Japanese

Do you have a translation question?

Translation into Japanese

Postby kenpachi » Mon 06.01.2009 10:34 am

Hi there,

I'd love to have some help with this. I'm trying to ask a company in Japan how much the international shipping charge will be expected to be. I'm asking them in english but I'd also like to send them a message in Japanese to make their job a little easier. They may not even respond if I answer in only English.

Unfortunately I'm not very good at this so I'd appreciate any help. The problem is I don't really know the proper uses of some of the Japanese words I've looked up (and grammer and the fact that I don't speak or know Japanese!!).

Would 期待 be appropriate in a question like this or is that too literal?
I also found 予価 but I'm not sure how that is used.

国際発送料 is the only thing I'm sure about using in the question.

国際発送料はいくらですか sounds to rude to me but that's because I think of it from an English standpoint. Also I don't even know if it's proper grammatically.

Basically I'd have to make two payments. I pay them for all the products they order in Japan and then I make the second payment for them to ship it to me. I'd like to know how much the international shipping will be before I make the first payment.

If anyone can help me convey this or give me some advice I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
kenpachi

Re: Translation into Japanese

Postby coco » Mon 06.01.2009 8:32 pm

国際発送料はいくらですか makes perfect sense. :) But that phrase is not so common because the international shipping charge depends on the distance and the way of shipping from Japan, in general.

I think that to inquire the shipping charge from Japan to the country, where you live in, makes their job a little easier. ( If they export their products.)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby keatonatron » Tue 06.02.2009 7:25 am

kenpachi wrote:国際発送料はいくらですか sounds to rude to me but that's because I think of it from an English standpoint. Also I don't even know if it's proper grammatically.

Start with "Can you ship internationally?" then immediately follow it up with "How much to ship to XXXX?".

国際発送出来ますか?XXXXまでの発送料はいくらですか?

Amongst native speakers there is a lot more formalities that go into it, but I assume they will understand that you aren't a native speaker so you don't have to worry about that stuff.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby kenpachi » Tue 06.02.2009 1:43 pm

Both of you, thank you very much for your help.
kenpachi

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion