Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Trying to translate/play Pokemon Blue

Trying to translate/play Pokemon Blue

Do you have a translation question?

Trying to translate/play Pokemon Blue

Postby Jakarta » Thu 06.11.2009 3:27 am

Hello everyone,

I start college soon where I will be studying Japanese, but I wanted to get a head start over the summer. I've had some prior experience, so I know the difficulty of translating a game, but I figured if nothing else, it will be a nice respite from book study. So, here goes nothing:

Sentence: ブルーはファミコンをしてる。

ブルー : Character's name "Blue"
は : topic maker
ファミコン : Family Computer aka Nintendo
を : direct object maker
してる : I'm not sure.

I think してる is a conjugation of the verb する, but I can't figure out how. The closest I get is して, the gerund form. Why the る? I can't find the full word してる in a dictionary, so I'm assuming it's a conjugation of something.

I've translated the sentence as "Blue (plays?) the Family Computer."

Thank you very much.
Jakarta

Native language: English

Re: Trying to translate/play Pokemon Blue

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 06.11.2009 3:36 am

してる is a contraction of している. You are right that this is related to する; look for ~ている in a grammar guide.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Jakarta » Thu 06.11.2009 4:30 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:してる is a contraction of している. You are right that this is related to する; look for ~ている in a grammar guide.

Thank you. That makes a lot more sense now. I didn't think to look for a contraction; that is tricky.

So the sentence translates as "Blue is playing the Famicom." Correct?

The ~ている meaning the action is ongoing, habitual, or has already taken place. It could also translate to "Blue plays the Famicom regularly" or "Blue played the Famicom." "Playing" or "played" makes more sense in the situation though.
Jakarta

Postby NocturnalOcean » Thu 06.11.2009 7:27 am

Jakarta wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:してる is a contraction of している. You are right that this is related to する; look for ~ている in a grammar guide.

Thank you. That makes a lot more sense now. I didn't think to look for a contraction; that is tricky.

The ~ている meaning the action is ongoing, habitual, or has already taken place. It could also translate to "Blue plays the Famicom regularly" or "Blue played the Famicom." "Playing" or "played" makes more sense in the situation though.

ている does not mean past form, so it cannot mean "played". However, when ている is used with verbs that refers to an action happening once, such as die, marry and so forth. It means that the action has happened, and the state is ongoing.
Example: 結婚している. This means "Being married". And not "married(as in the past form)".
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 06.11.2009 1:25 pm

NocturnalOcean wrote:
Jakarta wrote:

ている does not mean past form, so it cannot mean "played".

Right -- if you're talking about the completed meaning you should use "have [verb]"; i.e. "He has played the Famicom". I think that's unlikely since Famicom is a game system and not a specific game, but I don't know.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Jakarta » Thu 06.11.2009 5:49 pm

Thank you again. So, it seems that "has played" wouldn't make much sense, if it is supposed to be something that is ongoing like being married. Or, could it mean something along the lines of he played it for the first time, and from now he will always have played it. Like in English you would say "I have played Pokemon," meaning you've played it at least once and you can't undo that. Does that make sense?

"Blue is playing the Famicom."
"Blue plays the Famicom regularly."

Both of those seem to fit, and it really doesn't matter which you interpret it as. Either of them will work fine in the context they are used.
Jakarta

Postby furrykef » Thu 06.11.2009 8:15 pm

Jakarta wrote:Or, could it mean something along the lines of he played it for the first time, and from now he will always have played it. Like in English you would say "I have played Pokemon," meaning you've played it at least once and you can't undo that.

Yeah, exactly. It can apply to more temporary conditions, too: I think "he's gone to Jakarta [and is there now]" would be ジャカルタに行っている, but if you want "he's gone to Jakarta [at some point in his life]", you would say ジャカルタに行ったことがある。

Somebody tell me if I have this wrong... ^^;

Jakarta wrote:

It could be either of those, or it could be "Blue is playing the Famicom [right now]." If I recall correctly, that's how Nintendo of America translated it (except of course they called it the Super NES in the translation).

Whether it's possible to use ~ている that way depends on the verb, though. You can't say バスは来ている to mean "The bus is coming", for example; it means "The bus has arrived".

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Jakarta » Thu 06.11.2009 8:58 pm

furrykef wrote:Whether it's possible to use ~ている that way depends on the verb, though. You can't say バスは来ている to mean "The bus is coming", for example; it means "The bus has arrived".

Ah, I see. I guess for those you would just have to know which way is correct, right?

Thank you for the help. I couldn't remember how it was worded in the English version. It's been a long time since I've played it, but I figured it would help to try and play I game I know.
Jakarta

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 06.11.2009 9:15 pm

furrykef wrote:
Jakarta wrote:Or, could it mean something along the lines of he played it for the first time, and from now he will always have played it. Like in English you would say "I have played Pokemon," meaning you've played it at least once and you can't undo that.

Yeah, exactly. It can apply to more temporary conditions, too: I think "he's gone to Jakarta [and is there now]" would be ジャカルタに行っている, but if you want "he's gone to Jakarta [at some point in his life]", you would say ジャカルタに行ったことがある。

ジャカルタに行っている can also mean "I have been to Jakarta" whether or not you are there. In this case, it tends to be used when the fact that you have been to Jakarta is still affecting something in the present -- for instance, if you're deciding where to go for vacation and you don't want to go somewhere you've been before. (And in some cases it can even mean "I will have gone to Jakarta.")

ている is unfortunately kind of complicated since there are so many different meanings it can have.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 06.12.2009 6:41 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
furrykef wrote:

ジャカルタに行っている can also mean "I have been to Jakarta" whether or not you are there. In this case, it tends to be used when the fact that you have been to Jakarta is still affecting something in the present -- for instance, if you're deciding where to go for vacation and you don't want to go somewhere you've been before. (And in some cases it can even mean "I will have gone to Jakarta.")

ている is unfortunately kind of complicated since there are so many different meanings it can have.

Wouldn't that be jakarta ni itteita for I have been to Jakarta? There is also the simple, Jakarta ni itta koto ga arimasu.
two_heads_talking

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion