Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 'one last time'

'one last time'

Do you have a translation question?

'one last time'

Postby Kodama_30 » Wed 07.08.2009 5:34 pm

For a bit of light hearted practice and fun, I decided to try and translate a song that I've been listening to, well the first verse at least. ;)

神様に恋をしてた頃は
こんな別れが来るとは思ってなかったよ
もう二度と触れられないなら
せめて最後に もう一度抱きしめて欲しかったよ

There was a time when I was in love with a god,
I didn't think a parting would come.
If I'm never able to feel this way again,
then at least to conclude I want to be embraced one last time.

A bonus point for anyone that can name the song and where it originates :)
Kodama_30

Re: 'one last time'

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 07.08.2009 5:37 pm

Kodama_30 wrote:A bonus point for anyone that can name the song and where it originates :)

If you ask for translation help, you should name the song and give context. When you're asking for help, you really don't want to be throwing roadblocks in people's way -- in this case it probably doesn't matter, but it might.

(As for your translation, look up 触れる again.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby sei » Wed 07.08.2009 5:58 pm

Kodama_30 wrote:A bonus point for anyone that can name the song and where it originates :)

Isn't the title of the thread the name of the song? It originates from Japan? :P
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby Kodama_30 » Wed 07.08.2009 8:00 pm

Ah, my apologies. In retrospect maybe I shouldn't have asked for any guess work, when you guys are just trying to help me out. There's no reason for making it any more difficult I guess.
It's 'Diamond Crevasse' sung by Nakabayashi May and its the ending theme of an anime called Macross Frontier. Is this context useful by the way? I always assumed that a song by it's very nature was not as context reliant as more conventional Japanese usage.

sei wrote:

Isn't the title of the thread the name of the song? It originates from Japan? :P

Lol, you know what I mean :P I've not been thinking straight all day to be honest - although saying that the semantics are spot on, just the wording is a tad off.
Kodama_30

Postby Kodama_30 » Thu 07.09.2009 3:49 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:(As for your translation, look up 触れる again.)

Having looked it up again, the dictionary comes up with: to touch, to feel, to come into contact, to be emotionally moved. So perhaps the 2nd line could instead be; 'if I were to never feel your touch again'?
Kodama_30

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion