Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Short speech translation for japanese schools, please!

Short speech translation for japanese schools, please!

Do you have a translation question?

Short speech translation for japanese schools, please!

Postby antonvivaldus » Sun 08.30.2009 8:30 am

Hey guys,
I found out I have to give a speech in a couple days to my schools in Japanese, and my Japanese level is too low right now to express what I would like. Would anyone be kind enough to translate the following? The important thing is that the general ideas are expressed, and not necessarily a verbatim translation. Thank you very much, in advance, for any help you can offer! :)

"First of all, thank you this warm welcome to (name removed) junior high. I am very excited to be here in your lovely country, island, city, and school. I come from Chicago, Illinois in the United States. Some of you might be familiar with Chicago for its baseball teams, the White Sox and Cubs and Japan’s own Kosuke Fukudome. Also, United States President Barack Obama did much of his work in Chicago and considers it his “home away from home”.
I am here for two reasons: my job is to help you learn English and teach you more about where I come from. But I would also like to learn more about you guys, so please be my teacher, too! I know meeting a new person from a different country can be intimidating, because there are many differences. However, we are all human, and share that essential quality in common. So please do not be afraid to approach me and say hello! My Japanese is not good, but I am working on it. So while you learn English, I will learn Japanese, and by the end of the year, I hope to know each and every one of you.

Once again, I am honored to be your new ALT, and I think this year will be full of great experiences for all of us.

Thank you very much."
English Teacher in Shikoku, Japan
antonvivaldus

Re: Short speech translation for japanese schools, please!

Postby katafei » Sun 08.30.2009 9:17 am

Tony sensei is a translator, but I reckon his rates for a rush job are pretty steep.
Other than that, most people here prefer you give it a go yourself first.
As a teacher, you probably realise ( I hope) that that is the best way to learn :mrgreen:

enjoy Japan!
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby coco » Mon 08.31.2009 1:47 am

You are easily identified because you wrote the school name and its location. It isn't a good idea for the school principal, the education commission in Ehime prefecture and yourself.

What will you do if your students ask for translation help with their homework in the internet forums?
Please be aware that you are regarded as a teacher.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby phreadom » Mon 08.31.2009 7:01 am

I've removed the school name, and made the location a little more general in their signature. Hopefully this will limit the risk?

I agree that the person should at the very least try providing their own translation and then ask for assistance with any trouble points. I this is one of those informal "rules" of the forum. :P I know it's written somewhere... we really need to update and consolidate the rules one of these days. ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Valatunda » Mon 08.31.2009 8:30 am

Yes, it is in the Forum Etiquette.

7. Don't ask for help without showing that you did make an effort on your own. TJPは英語の翻訳サイトではありません。

If you ask for help and show you made an effort, you automatically made friends who will extremely helpful.
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby phreadom » Mon 08.31.2009 11:06 am

Valatunda wrote:Yes, it is in the Forum Etiquette.

7. Don't ask for help without showing that you did make an effort on your own. TJPは英語の翻訳サイトではありません。

If you ask for help and show you made an effort, you automatically made friends who will extremely helpful.

Ah, there it is... I completely forgot about the Wiki. :( Shame on me!
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby antonvivaldus » Mon 08.31.2009 5:57 pm

Thanks for the removal. I was completely ignorant!

Sorry!
English Teacher in Shikoku, Japan
antonvivaldus

Postby coco » Mon 08.31.2009 8:48 pm

Phreadom-san, thank you for your consideration. :)

This thread is also worth reading before making your post in this forum.

antonvivaldus wrote:Thanks for the removal. I was completely ignorant!

Sorry!

I was relieved that you could realize it was a risky behavior.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion